shape
carat
color
clarity

glass jars for candy buffet and mom''s feelings, help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
so um
my mom is helping me find the jars for the candy which is great but im afraid her and i have different ideas of what we are looking for, here''s the picture she sent me. i love the tallest skinny one but the other too look like just regular old flower vases. do you think they will work and i am just being stupid? or should i keep looking for the apothecary vases i originally wanted? do you think it is possible to look for the apothecary vases on my own and tell her we can just see which one looks better when we set it up? i told her not to buy any bigger ones and we could start looking for medium ones now. Help please! I don''t wanna hurt my mom''s feelings!

smurfy2-4-2009-005.jpg

meresal

Ideal_Rock
You need jars with big open "mouths" so that the scoops can get in and are easy to move around. Or jars that sit slanted towards the edge of the table.

The skinny one is a good shape, but I think it's too tall for being on a table. People will not be able to reach into it after it's gone down a bit. The middle one will only work if you are letting people grab with their hands. Same with the left I would say.
14.gif

Keep looking Smurfy. Just have some other options to present her when you tell her "Thanks mom, but how about these??"
12.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock

tlh

Ideal_Rock
The tall skinny one is my visual preference but I question its functionality. I have seen small heart shaped dishes that are almost like bowls which I''ve been looking for, but cannot find. They make it easy to get in w/ spoons and do not act as an obstruction...
35.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, I don't think any of them would work for the reasons meresal has already stated. I like the link that Bia sent.

ETA: so what I'm trying to say is focus a bit more on functionality. You don't want people grabbing candies with their bare hands. Guests wouldn't want to do that either. I love using Google images for inspiration!
google

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
I agree with you guys, thank you all for the suggestions

Yesterday my mom suggested buying in bulk 12 punch bowls, wouldn''t that look just well...stupid?
I think I will check out crate and barrel.

For our centerpieces we are using glass cylinders with flowers in the water and floating candles on top

maybe we could actually end up using that larger skinny one to make an identical centerpiece for the candy buffet?

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Ditto Meresal. You have to consider how people are going to get to the lollies (most important thing here
3.gif
). If they are too tall and narrow, you won''t be able to scoop the goodies out and then you run the risk of having the vases toppled over (especially an issue with children at the reception).

Can you find deeper, more open neck vases? They may not look fabulous on their own, but when you have a few of them and they are filled with colourful lollies, just about anything would look amazing.

Good luck!

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
thanks bia, ive seen that site before but i like it )
i forwarded it onto my mom to help her hopefully

i also suggested maybe finding some fish bowls

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Love the ones from Crate and Barrel that Italia posted - I would totally use those in my home afterwards too.

I think in dealing with your mom, its all about tact. Make sure to compliment her choices, and then gently but firmly redirect her to choices that are more practical and in line with your tastes - a good skill to have anyway!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Fish bowls would look fabulous Smurfy!!! I love that idea :)

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Thanks honey :)
I''m thinking of the more traditional round ones instead of the fishbowl shape you would normally think of when you hear fishbowl
know what i mean?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results