shape
carat
color
clarity

Give me some straps!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I''m looking for someone with Photoshop skills to help me out a bit. My wedding dress is below, and the more I look at it, the more I realize I don''t want a strapless neckline. I like cap sleeves in theory, but I don''t really like the cap sleeves that David''s has as an option, since they obscure the lines of my collarbone/shoulders, which are probably my best physical feature. I was thinking either a plain satin spaghetti strap or maybe a thicker, possibly beaded halter strap like this. My favorite kind of strap is actually a double spaghetti strap like this, but I know it can''t meet in the middle like that one does because of the corset back. I like straps that cross in the back too, but I worry a little that my bat-wing shoulder blades will make them lie weirdly.

So...who wants to Photoshop me some straps?

jstar-frontview.jpg

jstar-train.jpg

jstar-backview.jpg

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
I actually love it strapless. I think with a nice necklace (like a pearl necklace) it will really make the strapless look great. I think straps may ruin it... to be honest. It''s beautiful the way it is!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
My mom said the same thing, actually. I may end up keeping it the way it is, but I would have to get over my dislike of strapless necklines. As for the necklace, I was planning to wear my bezel-set diamond that''s in the picture, but it''s kinda small given the amount of decolletage showing. I do have a nice set of pearls that would look good...will have to try them out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t help you with the photoshopping, as I have no skills there, but I would encourage you to go to a good seamstress in your area, with your dress and talk to her about what your ideas are. I had my dress changed from a regular strapless neckline (like yours) to a sweetheart neckline with sleeves. The owner of the dress shop who modified my dress for me, showed me tons of different options, just by changing the way the fabric was positioned, what type of lace she could use, etc. I think it''s definitely something to look into -- you could wind up with a dress totally unique to you!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Vintage! That''s part of the idea - I want it to be a little more unique than it is right now. I know a great seamstress who did the alterations on a bridesmaid dress I wore for a friend''s wedding (she specializes in difficult jobs, and this one had to be taken in at 3 seams; it ended up looking perfect!). I was planning to go to her for my bustle in a couple of months...the first fitting should be about 4 months before the wedding, right?

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
I think the dress is really pretty strapless, but understand you wanting to personalize it.

I tried to put the thicker straps on for you but was unable to get the color to match up. Hopefully this image will help, I think it's also really pretty with these straps. (Sorry I'm no help that way LOL!) The angles are all wrong for the other straps, unless you want me to just try to show you the back.
2.gif

jstar-frontviewthickstraps.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, girlie-girl; this is really close to what I was visualizing. Do you think the halter strap would look better beaded or in plain satin?

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it as a strapless also and think it would look amazing with a great necklace. The halterneck straps do look nice on it too though, I''d go with it beaded if I were going to go with the straps.

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 3:32:35 PM
Author: jstarfireb
Thanks, girlie-girl; this is really close to what I was visualizing. Do you think the halter strap would look better beaded or in plain satin?
You're welcome.
1.gif
I think the straps would look best left as plain satin. Having them satin will help bring the whole dress together.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really like it strapless, too! If you do go for straps I think I would prefer skinnier spaghetti straps to the wider halter straps. Unfortunately I don''t know how to do Photoshop or I would try to put those on you! The dress looks great on you no matter what, though!

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 2:21:17 PM
Author: jstarfireb
My mom said the same thing, actually. I may end up keeping it the way it is, but I would have to get over my dislike of strapless necklines. As for the necklace, I was planning to wear my bezel-set diamond that''s in the picture, but it''s kinda small given the amount of decolletage showing. I do have a nice set of pearls that would look good...will have to try them out. Thanks for the suggestion!
I totally understand what you mean! I think a chunkier necklace (like pearls) would really balance the neckline beautifully. It''s a stunning dress! Very classy!

tabu

Shiny_Rock
That dress is soooo amazing! Very, very pretty! I also think it looks great the way it is, I personally do not like straps and a nice necklace would go just wonderfully
1.gif

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Thing2 - yeah, hopefully someone can show me what it would look like with spaghetti straps, since that would "disturb" the look of the dress least, while still adding something different. The only thing is I''m not sure how the spaghetti straps would lie on the back with the corset.

Tabu - Thanks! I still prefer straps in general, but I''m considering it both ways.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
OK, the more I think about it, the more I prefer the halter straps over the idea of spaghetti straps. They just seem to go better with the dress. I'd go with the plain satin, since as girlie-girl said, it seems to tie the whole dress together.

Girlie-girl or someone else with mad Photoshop skillz: could you show me what these cap sleeves would look like? As I mentioned, I like the idea of cap sleeves, and they're readily available from David's, but I worry that they'll decrease the elegance of the dress in a way that a halter wouldn't, and they'll block out my best physical feature. This is the most sheer option of the 3 that David's has, though.

s07_cap1.jpg

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Well, Photoshop isn''t cooperating with me trying to match up your skin tone so I''m going to have to give it to you like this.
28.gif
Hope it helps!

jstar-frontviewsheer.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
GG, you're so quick! That was helpful; I definitely prefer the halter over this. The cap sleeves balance out the bottom of the dress, but they don't seem to fit in with it. Thanks!

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
I think I like the halter straps better as well. Let us know what you decide to do, and I''d love to see the real pics once it''s done.
1.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here you go. I also prefer no straps. I don''t like that the straps sort of interrupt the neckline...

jstar-frontview spaghetti straps.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
And the back view...
ETA: Sorry it's so angular, I just used the line tool, but I figured it would give you a basic idea of what it would look like. I hope it helps.

jstar-backview spaghetti straps.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Freke! I agree about the straps interrupting the neckline. Sounds like the halter is definitely the way to go, if I end up adding anything at all.

You gals are the best!

bensbride

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, we''re dress twins! I had the same reservations about strapless. I was SURE that it was the last neckline I wanted, yet I fell in love with the very same dress. I''m sure it will be lovely with or without any changes!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results