shape
carat
color
clarity

Gift advice for my wife (new mom due 6/16) and our baby

thinking of picking up some type of keepsake gift for wife/baby; a nice piece of jewelry or something for the baby (or for both).

i see that Tiffany sells some pretty nice baby-related sterling silver items such as spoons, combs, cups, etc.

any thoughts or advice?

thanks!

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
thinking of picking up some type of keepsake gift for wife/baby; a nice piece of jewelry or something for the baby (or for both).

i see that Tiffany sells some pretty nice baby-related sterling silver items such as spoons, combs, cups, etc.

any thoughts or advice?

thanks!

The babies LOVE the rattles. Gave each of my nieces the dumbbell version.

Congrats!

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The skully and skully is very similar. Tiffany doesn’t seem to have them online. They also used to have a sterling silver double or single ring (Paloma Picasso) that the girls loved.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
My father gave the gift of a tiffany rattle to my oldest when he was born. He used it a few times and he ended up banging it on his head so I put it away for him. My son is in his 20's now and moved across the country. I offered to send it to him so he could keep it and he has zero interest in it. While I think the silver rattle is a sweet thought, I would give the gift to your wife instead. Your child won't remember the gesture, your wife will. Pregnancy is such an exciting and scary time and I can't imagine being pregnant in the pandemic. I would focus on a gift for your wife.

What about something that incorporates her and your child's initials? Or maybe just a pretty piece of jewelry for her as a gift to commemorate the special occasion?

Very exciting times for your family!

My father gave the gift of a tiffany rattle to my oldest when he was born. He used it a few times and he ended up banging it on his head so I put it away for him. My son is in his 20's now and moved across the country. I offered to send it to him so he could keep it and he has zero interest in it. While I think the silver rattle is a sweet thought, I would give the gift to your wife instead. Your child won't remember the gesture, your wife will. Pregnancy is such an exciting and scary time and I can't imagine being pregnant in the pandemic. I would focus on a gift for your wife.

What about something that incorporates her and your child's initials? Or maybe just a pretty piece of jewelry for her as a gift to commemorate the special occasion?

Very exciting times for your family!

yep, the problem is i don't have much of an idea what would make a good gift. she's not huge into jewelry although she obviously likes it - just not enough where i'd know instantly what she'd appreciate.

the other issue is due to not knowing the sex of our baby we don't know which name we'll be using (otherwise i love the initial idea and that was one of my top ideas).

i suppose i could do an IOU in a sense and get her something once baby is here but that isn't terribly exciting...

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
yep, the problem is i don't have much of an idea what would make a good gift. she's not huge into jewelry although she obviously likes it - just not enough where i'd know instantly what she'd appreciate.

the other issue is due to not knowing the sex of our baby we don't know which name we'll be using (otherwise i love the initial idea and that was one of my top ideas).

i suppose i could do an IOU in a sense and get her something once baby is here but that isn't terribly exciting...

What kind of jewelry does she have now? Does she have diamond studs or a diamond pendant? Those could be good options.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does she like pearls? They are the birthstone for June.

What kind of jewelry does she have now? Does she have diamond studs or a diamond pendant? Those could be good options.

neither. that might be a nice idea. anywhere you recommend for good value? i went to IDJ in NYC for her ER but we had some issues there.

Does she like pearls? They are the birthstone for June.

she doesn't :(

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look at Whiteflash for an ACA, ES or PS diamond you like in your budget to have made into a pendant. Those will qualify for the upgrade policy should she want something larger in the future.

Look at Whiteflash for an ACA, ES or PS diamond you like in your budget to have made into a pendant. Those will qualify for the upgrade policy should she want something larger in the future.

little out of my price range at the moment.

wondering if a locket might be a nice idea? do women still wear those?

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. I have one and wear it. It is a lovely sentimental gift so perfect for welcoming a baby. Blue Nile has a few styles you might like.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
little out of my price range at the moment.

wondering if a locket might be a nice idea? do women still wear those?

Check out James Allen, Blue Nile, and Lightbox Jewelry! Lightbox is 30% off at Bloomingdale's right now, if you sign up for their mailing list might be able to get another 15% off. They have a nice 0.5ct pendant for $350 or 1ct earrings for $600-700.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
I think incorporating a pearl is a great idea for a June baby--but it really depends on your wife's tastes.
What does she have now--white gold, yellow gold, sterling silver?

What is her personal style--contemporary or vintage? What does she wear on a daily basis and is it influenced by her job?

The gift for a baby is harder I think. I think probably easier to focus on a gift for your wife.
My kids received sterling baby cups. TBH, they are in their 30's now and not so interested in them. Go figure.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
And I, personally am a big fan of lockets. Perfect for a picture of baby or a lock of baby hair!
You could have it engraved with date of birth.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What’s the budget?

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Does your wife have pearl studs?

few hundred bucks. wife isn't much into pearls nor earrings as far as i can tell.

she likes rings and necklaces and gravitates towards platinum, silver (read: not so much gold).

one other idea i had was getting her a spacer for her engagement ring. right now she has a cheap alloy spacer but could be nice to grab her something else.

thanks!!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the set!

I am due in September, so if it were me...

I agree to not get a babyTiffany gift. A cousin gave our first child an engraved Tiffany silver spoon which was so cool but also will sit in the box for absolutely forever. Kind of useless.

I love the locket idea. I love any birthstone idea (if she doesn’t like pearls, what about June’s alternate stone, alexandrite?).

Or take the Bloomingdales idea and get her a tiny Lightbox diamond necklace, to represent the new little bit of sparkle you guys are soon to have in your lives. Congrats!!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When my daughter was born there was a silver christening cup, a silver spoon, a gold baby bracelet and sterling silver picture frame.
The only gift that is still in use is the picture frame. We never used either the cup or the spoon and the bracelet became a choking hazard at around 12 months because she could get it off - supreme fine motor skills from the beginning.
I received a diamond eternity ring which I’ve worn almost every day since I received it. An eternity ring is somewhat considered a traditional present for the first baby. Other ideas might be a Tiffany infinity bracelet or even a diamond by the yard bracelet. 32ABCB34-A3D7-4265-BCF0-70F56A321F67.jpeg

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
any thoughts on this as a nice spacer for her ER/WB:

also looking at lockets

Maybe you could find one a bit more "bubbly" so it resembles pearls without being pearls?

though i said she wasn't a huge pearl fan, this is pretty nice:

i could see her wearing that for sure.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes- pearl rings are not durable.

I think the spacer band is a good idea, maybe make it so that it can be engraved with baby’s name or birthdate?

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At $478, this thin platinum band is more than the budget you indicated, but the 3 rows of tiny millegraining make it distinctive imo yet understated -- so won't "fight" with her engagement ring & wedding band set; the craftsmanship is excellent; and people here on PS all seem to have had very positive experience with Raven's Edge:

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
A spacer engraved with your child's birth date would be a great idea! I would stay away from necklaces because babies love to grab at anything shiny and could rip it off her neck.

Another nice thing about a spacer is that she could wear it alone as a very thin band for those days when she does not want to wear diamonds.

A practical, sentimental gift that she could use daily and fits in your budget.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results