shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA vs. EGL- Part II

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cxc434

Rough_Rock
How off (compared to a GIA cert.) could EGL be?

I found a nice EGL, VS1/ F, with "ideal cut". The problem is I was looking for GIA. I realize GIA is more strict, but for a diamond of this quality, assuming worse case scenario, how much could the color and clarity drop if GIA was to certify the diamond?

I'm assuming cut does not come into play, as the dimensions of the diamond should be consistent with both EGL and GIA.

Any thoughts/ recommendations on buying an EGL??

Thanks in adavance!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If it is EGL USA then the difference could be small or none.
But do not rely on the %'s to use HCA, get a Sarin report, and ask the vendor to ship directly to an independant appraiser to confirm the cert grades :)

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diamond dealers will haggle over the color and the clarity of a diamond with only an EGL report. The same is true for any diamond with any report other than from GIA or AGS. It isn't that EGL or the other labs always give loose grades, but it is the way most of the world operates, by haggling.

Diamonds just don't have retail prices or wholesale prices rigidly fixed to them. It is an unusual variety of a free market in action.

Take all grades with a slight degree of skepticism. Quibble over any small issues. That is just how diamond dealers work. The same works well for anyone who knows this is how to buy "right".

cxc434

Rough_Rock
Any idea on turn around time if the diamond is shipped to GIA? Am I correct to assume about $125 / carat?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results