shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA vs. AGS Princess

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
I searched through the forum and didn't really see much in this topic relating to princesses, so I thought I would ask. Would it be more prudent to look more at GIA stones and use an ASET scope on them or would I be better served in both time and quality by paying the extra money and sticking with AGS0 stones?

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
I think I may have found the posts I was looking for. I just had to add princess to the search parameters.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I think it depends on your budget. If you can comfortably afford the size, color, and clarity that you want, I wouldn't hesitate to pay the extra money for an AGS cert and/or a branded superideal. That's exactly what we did.

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
jstarfireb|1309218105|2956601 said:
I think it depends on your budget. If you can comfortably afford the size, color, and clarity that you want, I wouldn't hesitate to pay the extra money for an AGS cert and/or a branded superideal. That's exactly what we did.

If I can't, what are the chances that I could find a GIA stone with the same kind of light performance as an AGS?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Case by case. Since you are also shopping in store, use the ASET scope and learn with your eyes to see what kind you like?

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
Stone-cold11|1309220585|2956633 said:
Case by case. Since you are also shopping in store, use the ASET scope and learn with your eyes to see what kind you like?

What do you mean?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Look at AGS 0 graded stones through the ASET scope and compare that with GIA graded stones, since these do not have cut grades, ask the vendor to select what he think is the best, you will have to learn how to read them, their patterning, which type look best in the lighting you will most often see them in, what is your preference and also from there judge the trustworthiness of the vendor you are working with.

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
But there are GIA stones out there that have AGS0 light performance?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
There can be, just that you do not know if they are AGS0 or not, unless they are also graded by AGS or the vendor has a sarin scanner with AGS performance based grading software loaded.

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
I think for now I am going to stick with the AGS0. Perhaps if she is interested in an upgrade in the future, when I know more about diamonds and have the ability to really take my time selecting the stone, then I will comb through the GIA stones.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
jaebond|1309220127|2956627 said:
jstarfireb|1309218105|2956601 said:

If I can't, what are the chances that I could find a GIA stone with the same kind of light performance as an AGS?

You can definitely find them, but you have to search a little harder since you're doing your own legwork. Princesses with really nice cuts are more likely to be sent to AGS for grading because they'll get that coveted ideal cut grade, whereas the GIA stones tend to be a lot more hit-or-miss. You may have to compromise on color, clarity or size. Let's say you're shooting for a 1.5ct G/VS2 (just for example). You look through 20 or so stones and find one that has a killer ASET, but it's a 1.4 H/SI1. That may be the one for you even though it didn't fit your original parameters. You just might have to stretch them a little.

If you're open to buying online, definitely check out James Allen's inventory. They have mostly GIA stones but they offer ASETs on up to 3 stones. When I pick out princess cuts for people from JA, I first narrow it down by color/clarity/size/budget, then I look at the photos until I find one I like, then I suggest for the person to ask for ASETs of those stones and post them here.

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
jstarfireb|1309228262|2956724 said:
You can definitely find them, but you have to search a little harder since you're doing your own legwork. Princesses with really nice cuts are more likely to be sent to AGS for grading because they'll get that coveted ideal cut grade, whereas the GIA stones tend to be a lot more hit-or-miss. You may have to compromise on color, clarity or size. Let's say you're shooting for a 1.5ct G/VS2 (just for example). You look through 20 or so stones and find one that has a killer ASET, but it's a 1.4 H/SI1. That may be the one for you even though it didn't fit your original parameters. You just might have to stretch them a little.

If you're open to buying online, definitely check out James Allen's inventory. They have mostly GIA stones but they offer ASETs on up to 3 stones. When I pick out princess cuts for people from JA, I first narrow it down by color/clarity/size/budget, then I look at the photos until I find one I like, then I suggest for the person to ask for ASETs of those stones and post them here.

Thanks for the tip on the ASETs from James Allen. That helps a ton! Unless my jeweler can find a good one for me in the next week or so, I will indeed be buying online.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results