shape
carat
color
clarity

Gia v jeweler cut ratings

Budgiesmuggler

Rough_Rock
Hi I'm a bit confused. I note that some jewler sites apply their own cut ratings to stones. eg JA has ideal, premium etc , and another site I've seen as 4 and 5 star ratings. these sites also list the cut rating from the GIA certificate separately (eg the stone may have a Gia excellent rank, but only 4 stars by the jewler site (h+a stones have their own ranking).

However, I know that both of these sites do not actually have the stone in their stock, so presumably their ratings can only be based on the certificate. How do they derive their cut rating then?

I thought it may have been a hca rank, but some of the stones ranked as 5 star, or ideal (with Gia certification of excellent) do not get a great hca rank.

Comments welcome! thanks.

Budgiesmuggler

Rough_Rock
Here are some examples:

GIA gives an excellent cut rating, but Jewler website rates the cut as "premium" (rather than their higher "ideal" ranking):
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI1-Premium-Cut-Round-Diamond-1415620.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

And again, GIA excellent cut, but jewler only gives 4 stars (rather than 5):
http://www.jogiadiamonds.com.au/diamonds/diamond_search.php?shape=ROUND&min=1.2&max=1.4&mincol=1&maxcol=4&mincla=2&maxcla=7&mincut=1&maxcut=1&price=&page=1&submit=Search

What are they basing their internal ratings on, when they have not actually examined the stones themselves??

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of James Allen's stones are actually their stones.

Their internal cut rating system is proportion-based; the cut-off for Ideal is probably a 58 or 58.5 table. Looking at well-cut stones that are labeled premium might save you some money; that stone is quite nice.

Budgiesmuggler

Rough_Rock
Thanks. The stone at James Allen has exactly the same proportions as that listed on a different website. I have requested the certificate from JA to verify whether it is the same stone.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Usually the best grades are reserve for their in-house stones. For JA, that is their true hearts, for Jogia their signature and crossfire series, as they have seen these stones, own them and have an interest in selling them before the virtual stones which are owned by other jewelers but advertised through them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results