shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA stone certed SI1=eye clean . . .is this true.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
Someone told me a GIA (only GIA) stone that is certed SI1 will be 100% eye clean. Is this true?

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Not all diamonds graded by the GIA or any other laboratory for that matter will be "eye clean"... Each diamond must be evaluated individually. Ideally a diamond graded as having a clarity of SI-1 should be "eye clean" but the degree of how eye clean the diamond is depends very much on the person grading the diamond... Since everybody has different eye sight and their eye sight can differ from day to day depending on their level of fatigue, emotional state, how much caffeine they have in their system, etc. one person's SI-1 is another person's SI-2 and so on... Plus it seems to us that the SI-1 of today is the SI-2 of ten years ago...

If you are buying the diamond on-line, express your desire that the diamond by "eye clean" with the vendor offering the diamond and ask them to provide you with detailed clarity photographs of the primary inclusions and to discuss the visibility of those inclusions with you... If you are buying the diamond in-person, ask the sales person to assist you with identifying the primary inclusions and then evaluate the diamond under a variety of lighting conditions. Note that pumping intense light in from the back of the stone is likely to kill any SI-1 clarity stone because the light will intensify the location of the inclusion... You should evaluate the diamond using a normal light source unless you want to find yourself up in the $$$ Land of VS-1 and higher.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
And, as for GIA SI1 ONLY eye clean,.... I have an AGS, SI1 that is 100% eye clean.

SI1's *tend* to be eye clean, but not always.
1.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 5/30/2003 3:39:52 PM pqcollectibles wrote:
And, as for GIA SI1 ONLY eye clean,.... I have an AGS, SI1 that is 100% eye clean.

----------------

Yes... There are "eye clean" SI-1's as graded by the GIA, AGS, HRD, etc. and there are SI-1's graded by those laboratories which we have rejected for not being eye clean... Each diamond must be evaluated individually to make this determination, we urge people not to rely on the name of the laboratory grading the diamond as a decisive factor as to whether the diamond will or won't be eye clean in the SI-1 clarity grade.

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
NICEICE, as usual you're great with the information. However, now I kow I would consider an SI1 depending on the inclusions and their visibility.

I'm not talking about any diamond in particular but I did see a beauty on your site. Too bad I'm not buying right now.

Also and FYI just for Todd and Robin, I have decided to go with RB because of the setting I'm choosing. Well, given that when I see it in person (end of June) I still think it fabulous. I've come a long way since my asscher days. Though I love that ring, I just don't think it would be as great on a smaller scale.

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
How about ~

Depending on which lab grades the diamond on how eye clean it can be
1.gif

Other then GIA and AGS sometimes the clarity grade is questionable from other labs
1.gif

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Furthermore your posts seem to be stuck at the 75 mark?? You should have The Pitbull fix that
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results