shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA Report - No Sarin, crown, pavilion is it Ideal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

*Monique

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I would like to buy a diamond from an online vendor.

They sent me the GIA report, it is:

0.83 carat
VS2
F
Depth 61.1%
Table 55%
Polish - Excellent
Symetry - Excellent
Culet - None
No Fluorescence

Price is only $ 3,120.

They do not have crown, pavilion measurements available.

Is it Ideal? I prefer to buy Ideal. Is it possible to be graded this way, and not be Ideal?

Would it be a good diamond? The price is excellent.

Thanks.

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
The GIA report only provides that information,
but you should also request a sarin from your vendor
which tells us the pavilion depth and crown angle.

Kirk

*Monique

Rough_Rock
I was told by Dirtcheapdiamonds that no Sarin is available. The GIA report was completed on 2/4/03.

Girdle is thin to medium faceted.
Dimensions are 6.03-6.05x3.69 mm

Help! It sounds like a great stone
and great price.

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Your best approach is to tell your vendor that the potential of a sale hinges on getting that info.

In other words, if it can be done, I'm sure that DCD
will do it for you.

Kirk

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like it could be a good deal, but you should try to get the Sarin results....DCD works with wholesalers so that means they don't carry the stones in their inventory for the most part. Chances are the wholesaler they are working with on this stone does not have a Sarin or else they would give you the info. I was working with them, they were very helpful, I got a Sarin report but no pictures of the stone. In the end we found a stone offline but I was a little put-off by the lack of info from them.

Many people have purchased from DCD very happily and their stones checked out. But the more info you can get, the better....it is very hard to judge a cut from a GIA cert alone, esp if you have not seen the stone at all and gotten a feel for its look.

Good luck!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

Hi, Monique: Tough call.....the price looks a bit low to be an ideal cut.

It's totally possible for diamonds to have this kind of grading and still not be ideal. The gradings of the color and clarity have nothing to do with the cut of a diamond, and "ideal" is a term that refers to the cut of a diamond. If you prefer to buy "ideal", then it's essential for you to have the crown/pavilion angles.

I found a stone on Whiteflash that almost matches what you've posted.....it's a known ideal diamond with an HCA of 1.4, and it's priced at $3926. It's a branded Cut Above H&A stone.

http://www.whiteflash.com/acut/diamond_details.asp?ItemCode=440115

F
VS2
Depth: 61.8
Table: 56
Crown Angle: 34.3
Pav. Angle: 40.9
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet - Pointed
No Fluor.

This stone is $3,926 and the one you asked about is $3,120. Whiteflash's diamond should be a bit more expensive because it's a branded diamond but the price difference here is significant at 20%. It's possible to get an unbranded diamond whose proportions equal that of an ideal cut, but it's unlikely that you'd get it for such a pronounced difference in cost. That leads me to believe that the DCD diamond is of a lesser cut quality.

Ideal cut is important to me too.....the cut of a diamond is the most important factor in its performance. Knowing that, I think it's worth the extra $800 to get a diamond I KNOW will perform as I expect. Just my opinion....hope it's helpful.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Probably it's ideal, but you must have a Sarin or OGI report to prove it... If you're seriously interested in this stone, I'm sure that DCD will get a Sarin report for you.

Giangi

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 2/11/2003 1:38:15 PM Giangi wrote:
If you're seriously interested in this stone, I'm sure that DCD will get a Sarin report for you.

Giangi----------------

I thought Monique was pretty clear in saying that she asked DCD for the Sarin and was told it wasn't available.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes but Kirk also noted that if the sale hinges on a Sarin or similar report being made available, I am sure that one could be created. There may not be one in existence right now, but the wholesaler most likely can find a way to get one done if they want to sell their stone.

*Monique

Rough_Rock
Good news everyone!

Dirtcheapdiamonds.com
came through for us with a sarin report, and
I plugged them into HCA and got a score of 0.6.

We are in the process of buying it and are very
excited about getting such a great deal.

I will definitely put in a good word for DCD and Jim Schultz when we get it appraised, and I'm sure it will check out ok with the appraiser.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay congrats!!! Let us know how things turn out.
1.gif

*Monique

Rough_Rock
I had an appraiser look at the diamond, and he measured it, and viewed it through a loop. We also looked at it through a 10x loop, and the laser inscribed number matches the GIA cert.

We are very happy about the purchase, the very low price, the high quality diamond, and with Dirtcheapdiamonds.

I plan to put in a positive review in about 5 weeks when the diamond is set and appraised for DCD.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Monique-It sounds like a good deal. How exciting. Everyone share's info on this sight and that's what makes it great. Have a photo taken of your ring when the stone is set and everything is done. It's great to hear about the purchase but let's see some eye candy.

Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
16.gif

6.gif
6.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results