shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA Princess Diamond Comparison

ArubaPrincess

Rough_Rock
Hello! Based on the following information and knowing they are both GIA certified "square modified brilliant" or Princess Cut diamonds that sparkle beautifully (to my untrained eye), please let me know which would be a better purchase and why. Thank you in advance and I sincerely appreciate your help!

Diamond #1
Measurements- 6.94 X 6.82 X 4.70
Carat Weight- 1.70
Cut- Very Good
Color- H
Clarity- VS2
Depth- 68.9%
Table- 73%
Girdle- Medium
Culet- None
Polish- Very Good
Symmetry- Very Good
Flourescence- Faint

Diamond #2
Measurements- 7.11 X 6.98 X 4.07
Carat Weight- 1.70
Cut- Very Good
Color- H
Clarity- VS2
Depth- 58.5%
Table- 75%
Girdle- Thin to Medium
Culet- None
Polish- Excellent
Symmetry- Good
Flourescence- None

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
The cut class tool likes the first one better, and I tend to agree. Also, symmetry is very important to me, so I wouldn't like one that only got a Good. But I'm no expert, so definitely wait for someone else.

ArubaPrincess

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much! What concerns me most about the second stone is the depth, although I know would be okay for a round brilliant, I am uncertain if it is an adequate depth for a princess cut. I really appreciate any help I can get, as no matter how much I read on depth, I just can't seem to figure it out.

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, the second one is rather shallow, at least compared to what most princesses are cut at. This chart should help some, but it is just a guide, not a steadfast rule.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ArubaPrincess|1310185025|2965287 said:
Thank you very much! What concerns me most about the second stone is the depth, although I know would be okay for a round brilliant, I am uncertain if it is an adequate depth for a princess cut. I really appreciate any help I can get, as no matter how much I read on depth, I just can't seem to figure it out.

who is grading the cut as 'very good'?

GIA does not grade the cut of princess cuts so it is generally recommended to go with a vendor who provides images and ASET images. Or you can go with a princess graded by AGS, who does grade cut. AGS0 stones command a premium though.

58.5 depth is way too shallow for princess cut...and 75% table is huge!

have you seen these diamonds in person?

ArubaPrincess

Rough_Rock
I have seen them both in person and to me they both sparkle well, but, I don't know very much about diamonds. I went to a diamond dealer in NYC and they had both of these stones with the GIA certificates, and the cut was classified as very good by two of their gemologists who had compared them with "excellent" and "good" cut stones classified from their inventory.

Do you have any idea the appropriate minimum depth for a princess stone? Every website has different recommendations (some even state the 58% depth is acceptable) and I am having a difficult time trying to make sense of it all. Also, from what I have been reading, both of these stones have a larger table, should that be a concern? What are the disadvantages to a larger table? Lastly, what exactly does the Symmetry refer to, is it how symmetrical the stone appears? I am so confused!

Thank you so much for your help!

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
I believe I read somewhere that it is a good idea to keep the table % smaller than the depth %, though I don't know if this is true or not. I don't think you want the table to be any more than 68% really. However, it all really depends on how the rest of the diamond is cut. For example, this diamond only has a 46% table, which is extremely small, but Solasfera cuts are very highly regarded.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8022/

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ask to compare the stones with an AGS0 cut graded princess. AGS is the only lab that grades the cut performance of a princess.

ArubaPrincess

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your input. I have narrowed it down to these two after looking at many diamonds. I want to make certain I am getting the better of the two, according to the numbers and I am trying to get an understanding of what they mean. To my eyes, they both sparkle, however, I am a novice. I am hoping for more information to assist in my final decision. Specifically, I am completely confused about depth and somewhat conflicted about the table (Although, I have seen diamonds with smaller tables and narrowed it down to these two). I would like to know the advantages of a smaller table or disadvantages of a larger table, as well as depth recommendations and precautions. Additionally, I would like to know a bit more about symmetry. It seems every website has different standards and I cannot figure it out. I really appreciate any and all help!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ArubaPrincess|1310215244|2965411 said:
Thank you for your input. I have narrowed it down to these two after looking at many diamonds. I want to make certain I am getting the better of the two, according to the numbers and I am trying to get an understanding of what they mean. To my eyes, they both sparkle, however, I am a novice. I am hoping for more information to assist in my final decision. Specifically, I am completely confused about depth and somewhat conflicted about the table (Although, I have seen diamonds with smaller tables and narrowed it down to these two). I would like to know the advantages of a smaller table or disadvantages of a larger table, as well as depth recommendations and precautions. Additionally, I would like to know a bit more about symmetry. It seems every website has different standards and I cannot figure it out. I really appreciate any and all help!

what lighting did you look at the diamonds in? I would recommend looking at them in different lighting, not just the jewelry store spotlighting. As SC suggested, if you can compare to an AGS0 that would be a good comparison.

these videos might also help with what to look for in a princess cut.
http://vimeo.com/2050679
http://vimeo.com/9944483

as far as advantages/disadvantages...you want dimensions that work well together. with princess cuts the other angles are not given on the GIA report so you really can't tell anything by the numbers. as far as 'general guidelines' this might help
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-grading-chart-princess

some reading on symmetry
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-symmetry

ArubaPrincess

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your help. I have a much better understanding of symmetry now, but, am still confused about the depth.

I have viewed both of these stones both indoors (under the stores lighting) and outdoors, and to me they both appear to have a nice sparkle. I was also shown many others (including AGS certified), however, I narrowed it down to these two, by appearance and am now trying to decide which stone is technically a better stone. according to the numbers, as they are both comparable in price.

THANK YOU AGAIN, I appreciate any and all input. Have a wonderful day.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
ArubaPrincess said:
Thank you for your help. I have a much better understanding of symmetry now, but, am still confused about the depth.

I have viewed both of these stones both indoors (under the stores lighting) and outdoors, and to me they both appear to have a nice sparkle. I was also shown many others (including AGS certified), however, I narrowed it down to these two, by appearance and am now trying to decide which stone is technically a better stone. according to the numbers, as they are both comparable in price.

THANK YOU AGAIN, I appreciate any and all input. Have a wonderful day.

Technically, there is not enough information from the numbers to determine which is a better stone because the numbers are useless for a fancy cut without additional numbers.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like all the A CUT ABOVE princess cuts are running in the 70%+ depth range.

Most people like table smaller than depth. I prefer a smaller table because when you get a glare off the table you pretty
much knock out the whole stone (because the table is so big). If you get a glare off a smaller table than you still can see
some of the stone.

I love the look of a solasfera princess and they have very small tables.

Can you post pictures of the stones you are looking at?

ArubaPrincess

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1310315868|2965952 said:
Looks like all the A CUT ABOVE princess cuts are running in the 70%+ depth range.

Most people like table smaller than depth. I prefer a smaller table because when you get a glare off the table you pretty
much knock out the whole stone (because the table is so big). If you get a glare off a smaller table than you still can see
some of the stone.

I love the look of a solasfera princess and they have very small tables.

Can you post pictures of the stones you are looking at?

I have tried to photograph them both in the store and outside the store and unfortunately, I can't get a great photo. Unfortunately, I am not using a traditional jeweler, as I was recommended directly to a cutter in NYC. They cut for many Jewelers and Online Stores, including Blue Nile. These were both just GIA certified and I was informed Stone # 1 falls into the catagory of a "blue nile signature princess diamond" however, stone # 2 does not, due to the lack of depth and large table, however, I have seen some websites stating depth for a princess could be as low as 55% and have a table as high as 80%. This is where my confusion lies.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your help, it is much appreciated.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results