shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA I color

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wintergreen

Rough_Rock
Should a stone that is graded as an I in color by the GIA appear visibly yellow?
I have a GIA graded I color princess cut diamond with faint blue florescence. My fiance bought it online from the Amazon.com build your own ring website. I''ve compared it to uncertified I/J diamonds at Kay and Zales and it seems a lot more yellow. The color really bothers me. I''m afraid that we didn''t receive the stone that our certificate belongs to. He didn''t give it to me until after the return period had passed, and I don''t want to hurt his feelings by complaining about the color of the diamond.
Is it possible, that the stone is just poorly cut and that is why it is showing alot more yellow?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2009 1:32:23 PM
Author:wintergreen
Should a stone that is graded as an I in color by the GIA appear visibly yellow?
I have a GIA graded I color princess cut diamond with faint blue florescence. My fiance bought it online from the Amazon.com build your own ring website. I've compared it to uncertified I/J diamonds at Kay and Zales and it seems a lot more yellow. The color really bothers me. I'm afraid that we didn't receive the stone that our certificate belongs to. He didn't give it to me until after the return period had passed, and I don't want to hurt his feelings by complaining about the color of the diamond.
Is it possible, that the stone is just poorly cut and that is why it is showing alot more yellow?
A GIA graded I colour Princess will not look yellow, you might notice a tiny hint of warmth from the side in some lights but that is really all - some don't even notice that. Have you cleaned it recently? Many of us clean our diamonds every day, so if it does need a clean this could really help. If you are truly concerned that you were sent the wrong diamond, get an independant appraiser to take a look at it, they should be able to tell you if the diamond and the GIA report match and if not then you can go from there if this is the case and see what can be done to make matters right. Cut quality can make a difference yes, but I have had a poorly cut non graded largeish Princess of J colour in the past and it still did not look yellow.

What size is the diamond?

wintergreen

Rough_Rock
Its .47 carats. I clean it at least every other day, so I don''t think its being dirty is the problem.
I am going to get it appraised, but I''m nervous to see what the appraisal will say. He took it to a mall store to be resized before giving it to me, so if I do learn its the wrong stone, Amazon could just claim it got switched when it was resized.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2009 1:56:49 PM
Author: wintergreen
Its .47 carats. I clean it at least every other day, so I don't think its being dirty is the problem.
I am going to get it appraised, but I'm nervous to see what the appraisal will say. He took it to a mall store to be resized before giving it to me, so if I do learn its the wrong stone, Amazon could just claim it got switched when it was resized.
Switching is very rare, but an appraisal should be helpful. Make sure you use an independant appraiser rather than one who sells jewellery, here is a tool you can use to find an appraiser in your area

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I second the idea of an independent appraisal. I color GIA graded princesses shouldn''t be yellow, just a teeny tiny bit warm.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results