shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA Diamond Essentials

amy89fr

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I am about to apply to the GIA Diamond Essentials course and I have a few questions for those who have passed the final exams. What kind of exam will it be : will I have to write the answers myself or will there be multiple choices questions? Also, can you tell me what kind of questions they will be asking?

I'm very worried because I must have at least 80% on my final exam and know nothing about diamonds so far. Distance education is great for me since I live in another country (France) but the con is that I won't be able to see diamonds in real life and "practice" on them.

Have a great day,

Amy

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No worries. This course is designed for people with no prior knowledge. Exam questions will be multiple choice and come directly from the lessons.
You can do this!
And it is a great introduction to the field and an opportunity to see if it grabs your interest and you want to take the learning further.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm... This thread has piqued my interest. I will have to check out that course! :)

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The essentials courses are easy. You’ll be fine!

The Graduate Diamonds course... if you study, you will be absolutely fine.

I’ve taken all the essentials courses and graduate diamonds, so let me know if you have more q’s!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's a multiple choice test. Most people don't find it difficult but, if for some reason you have troubles, they have an opportunity to do it again. Don't stress about it. You can do this.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When you are ready to look and play with real diamonds, you are no more than a train ride away from Antwerp. I am trying to remember from many years ago when I traveled from Antwerp to Paris on the train, but I believe it is only about 3 hours through some very beautiful countryside.

There is a thriving diamond cutting and trading center in Antwerp and you will want the experience of at least a few days there to be part of your joy in learning about diamonds.

Wink

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a multiple choice test. Most people don't find it difficult but, if for some reason you have troubles, they have an opportunity to do it again. Don't stress about it. You can do this.

Oh yeah, I remember now! Yes, you take the quiz until you pass. Don't sweat it!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, thank you Pearaffair. I should have specified that Diamond Essentials is online.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yeah. but tell them about the Gem ID final, 20 stones to identify, if you miss just one, you fail. Phew, I passed the first time, but @Wink tells me that he knew some students in his class that failed the first time.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gem ID isn't part of the Diamond essentials program, but even that you can take multiple times if you need to. A lot of people fail that one the first go around. I think it's less than half, but not a lot less.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:(2
Should I be able to register online? It seems they keep flagging my application and telling me to call the Carlsbad office.

I chose jewelry essentials because although it isn’t required for the GG program, a local jewelry store said they would hire me for seasonal part time work if I took 2 GIA classes, so I figured they would likely want me to have jewelry essentials.

Did anyone have trouble registering? The application was a frustrating experience and I have some post-grad education!! :D

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eh, I have to call Monday. Oh well. No biggie.

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
Watch out for that price increase between Diamond Essentials and the diamond grading course. Yikes!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Should I be able to register online? It seems they keep flagging my application and telling me to call the Carlsbad office.

I chose jewelry essentials because although it isn’t required for the GG program, a local jewelry store said they would hire me for seasonal part time work if I took 2 GIA classes, so I figured they would likely want me to have jewelry essentials.

Did anyone have trouble registering? The application was a frustrating experience and I have some post-grad education!! :D

Can you contact that store again and ask which classes they prefer that you take?

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Im sorry, hope it gets better soon.

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
Will be thinking of you that day!

Smith3

Shiny_Rock

I’m looking to take jewelry essentials and diamond essentials. Did you do jewelry essentials? I’m curious to know how in depth it is because I know already quite a a bit about jewelry basics but I want to learn more specific and in depth details. I didn’t know how detailed the class gets

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m looking to take jewelry essentials and diamond essentials. Did you do jewelry essentials? I’m curious to know how in depth it is because I know already quite a a bit about jewelry basics but I want to learn more specific and in depth details. I didn’t know how detailed the class gets

I never followed up! I plan to hopefully in the next few weeks.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It won’t let me sign up online either, I have to contact them. It’s so weird

Let me know what they say about that, thanks!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
FYI the final exam is closed book and proctored. I believe you can take the exam up to three times if you don't pass. Good luck and enjoy!

For Diamond Essentials, it’s “open book”. Diamonds & Diamond Grading is the proctored exam.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results