shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA cert: Clarity Characteristics

banana_tau

Rough_Rock
I'm looking at a diamond that's a VS1, but the Clarity Characteristics at the bottom shows:
Crystal, Feather, Cloud, Pinpoint finish.

I usually see just 1 or 2. not all of these listed. Is this a problem?

clarity_0.jpg

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Generally speaking you don't have anything to worry about with VS1. Do you have photos? Who is the vendor?

banana_tau

Rough_Rock
It's Blue nile, so no photo yet. What can I ask for at BN? How many idealscopes can i get?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually when there is only one inclusion it's more likely to be a whopper.
When there are several at the same clarity they are likely to each be relatively minor.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Being graded by GIA or AGS as VS is pretty telling that the inclusions shouldn't be an issue. Read up on clarity characteristics and try to speak with someone that knows that particular stone if you are still worried.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Agree with Amy ... it shouldn't be an issue with VS clarify. BN has a generous return policy. You can consider purchasing and then looking at it, or bring it to a local appraiser to look at.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
banana_tau|1312609235|2985296 said:
It's Blue nile, so no photo yet. What can I ask for at BN? How many idealscopes can i get?

Bluenile does not do idealscope/asets...they dont do pictures either.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1312612365|2985303 said:
Actually when there is only one inclusion it's more likely to be a whopper.
When there are several at the same clarity they are likely to each be relatively minor.

Especially < 1ct. Additionally, the crystal is listed first - making it the characteristic of most-consequence. I presume the feather and cloud will be quite small. Always good to have a gemologist verify this with the diamond in-hand, of course.

Tom Gelb

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It has now been three years since I left the GIA but I believe that the plotting rules are probably approximately the same. When I was grading all VS and lower inclusions had to be plotted regardless of clarity. So my expectation is that the crystal, feather, and cloud are all VS1. The reason for there being a pinpoint plotted is that there is only one crystal and one cloud. The rule is that three internal inclusions must be plotted (if they exist), thus the pinpoint, which is almost certainly VVS has been plotted also. I will leave the good or bad up to you.

I hope this helps.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have nothing particular to add to the above but the observation that 'finish' is the headline for the next section containing polish and symmetry rather than a listed item for clarity characteristics.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results