shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting ring size and still keeping it a surprise...

hungarianhc

Rough_Rock
Okay so I'm ready to do this... I need to get the ring size, though. Here's one possible helper, though. I got her a ring about 6 years ago, and it fits on the "engagement finger" of the other hand... so it's the perfect size. However, she wears it all the time. She takes it off to sleep though... is there any way I can get the ring size from her current ring? She wears pretty much now jewelry so I know her mom / sister wouldn't know her ring size... I'm hoping maybe i can take the ring at night and measure it or do something...

amc80

Ideal_Rock
You can trace the inside of the ring on a piece of paper. Take that to a jeweler and they should be able to match up the size. Is she left or right handed? I am right handed so my finger is about 1/2 size bigger on my right versus my left...something to keep in mind.

An alternative would be to enlist the help of one of her friends/relatives. Have them be out shopping, and have the friend want to look at something in a jewelery store. The friend can say "hey since I'm here, can I get measured?". At that point, it would be pretty easy for the friend to get your gf to follow suit.

wedge

Rough_Rock
Got a few days? Search ebay for a "ring mandrel"... less than $5 shipped. If the ring is off her hand as you stated, it only takes a few seconds to slip it onto the mandrel and read the size.

hungarianhc

Rough_Rock
I do have some time! I ordered a mandrel, and I will measure the ring while she sleeps!

cjaama

Rough_Rock
i know this is an old topic, but for anyone who's going through the same dilema, there is a tool you can order for free that looks like a zip tie that you put around your finger to find ring size. for example, my gf's ring is the same size as my pinky. so, i ordered one from blue nile and measured my pinky with it. problem solved.
there are also things online that you can print and hold up to the ring, but i tried that and didn't get anywhere close to the right size.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
My right ring finger is also slightly bigger than my left.

What about taking her shopping and getting her sized? Then she can point out to you what she likes. It wouldn't be a complete out-of-nowhere surprise, but you could get her ring size and see what type of ring she likes

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results