shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting married on 20th. Need help deciding on the diamond!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I just came across this forum! too bad i didnt realize this until now. I am getting married on 20th. and i need to decide on the diamond ring real soon. I looked up at the pricescope and put the following criterion:

>> Showing 1 to 25 of 25 All diamonds matched. Unlike ''in-house'', many of these diamonds are virtual listings. Read more...
>> Round shape, 1.18 cts, E color, VVS1 clarity, 58–63% depth, 53–62% table, $100–100000,

It gave me 25 diamonds. they range from 12000 to 18000. I am looking at a local jeweler, but he says it is 17000.
1. how do i know if i am getting ripped off?
2. since the above search list doesnt let me compare the cut quality, how do i know if my diamond is worth what i am paying for?
3. how trustable are the jewelers listed found by the search? are they the sponsors of this website?

Thank you so much.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You can do a Pricescope search by cut quality here: https://www.pricescope.com/sift.aspx

The default is set for excellent to very good cut, but you can change that.

*ETA* It looks like you'll have to lower the clarity to VS1 or VS2, which would save a lot of money, to find a match. You could also lower the color. I'm sure others will pipe up with more information for you.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 8:03:35 PM
Author:guest
Hi All,

I just came across this forum! too bad i didnt realize this until now. I am getting married on 20th. and i need to decide on the diamond ring real soon. I looked up at the pricescope and put the following criterion:

>> Showing 1 to 25 of 25 All diamonds matched. Unlike ''in-house'', many of these diamonds are virtual listings. Read more...
>> Round shape, 1.18 cts, E color, VVS1 clarity, 58–63% depth, 53–62% table, $100–100000,

It gave me 25 diamonds. they range from 12000 to 18000. I am looking at a local jeweler, but he says it is 17000.
2. since the above search list doesnt let me compare the cut quality, how do i know if my diamond is worth what i am paying for?
3. how trustable are the jewelers listed found by the search? are they the sponsors of this website?

Thank you so much.

As kindred suggested, you can search by cut which is very helpful and will help you narrow the number of stones you need to sift through. Also as mentioned, E nad VVS1 and quite high grades. You could go bigger (or save the money!) by choosing a stone in the VS or SI range and you won''t even see the difference.

How do you know if you''re getting ripped off?
I would do what you already have done and compare to prices on the search here.

The vendors do advertise on the site, but sponsor is the wrong word. The website is independently owned. However, the vendors that advertise here have great reputations. Do a search for whiteflash, good old gold, engagement rings direct, james allen and you''ll find many helpful reviews.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2009 8:53:57 PM
Author: icekid

Date: 3/3/2009 8:03:35 PM
Author:guest
Hi All,

Thank you so much.

As kindred suggested, you can search by cut which is very helpful and will help you narrow the number of stones you need to sift through. Also as mentioned, E nad VVS1 and quite high grades. You could go bigger (or save the money!) by choosing a stone in the VS or SI range and you won''t even see the difference.

How do you know if you''re getting ripped off?
I would do what you already have done and compare to prices on the search here.

The vendors do advertise on the site, but sponsor is the wrong word. The website is independently owned. However, the vendors that advertise here have great reputations. Do a search for whiteflash, good old gold, engagement rings direct, james allen and you''ll find many helpful reviews.
Thritto

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for the feedback kindred, icekid and Loreli. I really appreciate your guidance to newbies like me.

Regarding going lower on the color and clarity, my brain is stuck on giving the best i can to my fiance. I got the same advice from my best friends too. but, i cannot somehow come to terms with it.

regarding the price, could you please answer about the range of prices i see in the search. how come i see the similar price for 12K and also for 18K?

can i trust the price on bluenile? that diamond seems to be the closest to what i am getting. i dont know about the Blue Nile''s cut grade though. Is buying on Blue Nile recommended, if i want to skip the local jeweler?

The price on Blue Nile is listed at 15.5K for a signature ideal. How are these prices compared to India? I can get from India as i know some jeweler (not that close though).

Please advice. Thank you all, again.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 4:52:17 PM
Author: guest
Thank you so much for the feedback kindred, icekid and Loreli. I really appreciate your guidance to newbies like me.

Regarding going lower on the color and clarity, my brain is stuck on giving the best i can to my fiance. I got the same advice from my best friends too. but, i cannot somehow come to terms with it. No problem, if you prefer high colour and clarity then thats fine! But mske sure you get a well cut diamond so you have a beautiful sparkling rock to present to your lady.

regarding the price, could you please answer about the range of prices i see in the search. how come i see the similar price for 12K and also for 18K? Could be various reasons, due to weight ranges, colour, clarity, type of grading lab, cut qualities etc and vendor offered benefits.

can i trust the price on bluenile? that diamond seems to be the closest to what i am getting. i dont know about the Blue Nile's cut grade though. Is buying on Blue Nile recommended, if i want to skip the local jeweler? BN is a reputable vendor, the thing is though they don't supply images such as ASET or photos that informed buyers like to judge the cut quality of a diamond.

The price on Blue Nile is listed at 15.5K for a signature ideal. How are these prices compared to India? I can get from India as i know some jeweler (not that close though).

Please advice. Thank you all, again. Most welcome!

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 6:49:13 AM
Author: Lorelei
No problem, if you prefer high colour and clarity then thats fine! But mske sure you get a well cut diamond so you have a beautiful sparkling rock to present to your lady.

can i trust the price on bluenile? that diamond seems to be the closest to what i am getting. i dont know about the Blue Nile''s cut grade though. Is buying on Blue Nile recommended, if i want to skip the local jeweler? BN is a reputable vendor, the thing is though they don''t supply images such as ASET or photos that informed buyers like to judge the cut quality of a diamond.

Can you tell me what you think about this diamond:
http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-signature-ideal-cut-e-color-vvs1-clarity_LD01390251

Do you think this is over-priced for the specs? what do you think about the ''sparkle and brilliance''? Do you think it will make the impression?

Any ideas on the price comparison to India?

Thank you.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If your interested in giving the best diamond you can for your fiancee...I highly recommend getting something from an online vendor with an upgrade policy. I also highly recommend getting a stone with G or H in color and VS1 or VS2 in clarity. That way it will look the same no matter who looks at it without a loop, and your getting more size for your $$$. You will not notice any yellow or inclusions in that range. IMO for 17,000 you should be getting A LOT more stone that just above a carat.
For example: Here is a stone that is beautiful. Its an AGS ideal cut stone, ~7k less than the jewlers stone, and I can promise you, it would knock it out of the park in a new york minute. This is a beautiful stone
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5492/

Same thing with this stone. You wont notice a hint of color unless you are setting it next to a D. It will face up white and wont show any color. This saves you about ~10K
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4761/

Now, if your dead set on spending that much money. Here is a killer stone in that range
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-1466952.htm

and another
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5249/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4833/

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2009 4:30:52 PM
Author: guest

Date: 3/5/2009 6:49:13 AM
Author: Lorelei
No problem, if you prefer high colour and clarity then thats fine! But mske sure you get a well cut diamond so you have a beautiful sparkling rock to present to your lady.

can i trust the price on bluenile? that diamond seems to be the closest to what i am getting. i dont know about the Blue Nile''s cut grade though. Is buying on Blue Nile recommended, if i want to skip the local jeweler? BN is a reputable vendor, the thing is though they don''t supply images such as ASET or photos that informed buyers like to judge the cut quality of a diamond.

Can you tell me what you think about this diamond:
http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-signature-ideal-cut-e-color-vvs1-clarity_LD01390251

Do you think this is over-priced for the specs? what do you think about the ''sparkle and brilliance''? Do you think it will make the impression?

Any ideas on the price comparison to India?

Thank you.
This diamond looks extremely promising by the numbers. BN are usually competitively priced.

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Nice work, Stephanie!

guest, I know you want the best for her but do consider giving the best in something she can see...i.e. carat-size. The catch? You only need to sacrifice and go a little lower on that VVS1 clarity- something she won't be able to see with her naked eyes. I feel it's almost a crime if you don't consider well-cut but less lofty clarity-grade options...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results