shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting engaged the week before someone else''''s wedding?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brian m

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

My GF and I are going away to a B&B May 5th and 6th. I am preparing to propose then.

What is driving me crazy is the anticipation. I am going to pick out a stone tonight, and if all goes well, I could realistically have the ring in 2-3 weeks.

If this all falls into place the timing would be perfect...except for one thing: her father''s girlfriend''s daughter is getting married on 4/29. Realiistically I could have the ring and be ready to propose on 4/22.

Like I said, the anticipation is killing me. I keep smiling everytime I think about it and I almost can''t wait for the surprise myself.

My question is: would it be improper etiquette to ask for her hand in marriage the week before a loved one''s daugter is getting married?????

Her father and his girlfriend have been dating for 11yrs and are not married. Her daughter is not the typical girl that expects a lot of fanfare surrounding her wedding. It is going to be simple ceremony and a receiption of less than 100 people.

I am worried about offending the future "girlfriend in-law" if you will, but I also want to begin our engagement as soon as possible because the suspense is killing me.

Can anyone offer up experiences of their own or of their friends that found themselves in this situation.

Regards,

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think the girl getting married would be offended at all. Speaking as a former bride, I'd be HAPPY if one of my friends or family had gotten engaged right before my wedding. The more love all around the better! :) It is considerate of you to think of this, though. I just don't think it would matter at all -- plus, if you and your GF will have an extra-special good time at that wedding if you're freshly engaged. (now if you were planning to propose AT that girl's wedding, now that would be inappropriate!)

Evie75

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/28/2006 7:29:05 PM
Author: KristyDarling
I don''t think the girl getting married would be offended at all. Speaking as a former bride, I''d be HAPPY if one of my friends or family had gotten engaged right before my wedding. The more love all around the better! :) It is considerate of you to think of this, though. I just don''t think it would matter at all -- plus, if you and your GF will have an extra-special good time at that wedding if you''re freshly engaged. (now if you were planning to propose AT that girl''s wedding, now that would be inappropriate!)
HAHA i was actually at a wedding and this happend.. the doofy guy took the mic from the DJ started talking and asked his girl at the wedding in the middle of the dance floor... didnt bother telling anyone either.... needless to say the guests were a bit shocked LOL

But what you are planning is fine.. I mean you dont have to go to the wedding and announce to everyone.. good luck! and congrats

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I actually got engaged 2 days before my friend''s wedding. We were in England for her wedding and she knew that whole week that we were getting engaged. At her rehearsal, she came running down the aisle to ask if he had proposed yet and was very excited for us.

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 4:21:00 PM
Author: Evie75
HAHA i was actually at a wedding and this happend.. the doofy guy took the mic from the DJ started talking and asked his girl at the wedding in the middle of the dance floor... didnt bother telling anyone either.... needless to say the guests were a bit shocked LOL

But what you are planning is fine.. I mean you dont have to go to the wedding and announce to everyone.. good luck! and congrats
OMG! I'd be p*ssed if that happened at my wedding. Talking about stealing thunder!!
29.gif

Brian M, I don't think it's inappropriate at all to get engaged a week before the wedding...after all, the soon-to-be-bride does not have dibs on the week before her wedding just the day of.
28.gif

Good luck and congratulations.

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with caribou. Definately not the DAY OF. I also think it depends on the bride herself. If she''s the ''I''m the center of the universe'' type diva she''ll be pissed. If she''s a truly great friend of hers she''ll be thrilled. Maybe you could get engaged and not ''announce'' it per say at her wedding.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
It''s just like that one girl said on Sex and the City. The bride gets a day, not a week.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results