shape
carat
color
clarity

Geting back to normal after getting off of BC

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
For those of you who have gotten of of BC, how long did it take you to get back to normal cycle-wise?

I was on BC for roughly nine years and got off of it a little over a month ago. Currently, I''m three days late. I expected things to be a bit off right after getting off of BC but I''m starting to wonder when I should start getting a bit concerned or when to call my doctor.

E B

Ideal_Rock
My first cycle off the pill was a perfect 28 or 29 days (I can't remember which). The second? ~45 days. After that, they varied from 29-32.

It's not uncommon to have irregular cycles for months after coming off the pill. If you're only 3 days late, I wouldn't worry for several more days to a week or two, even.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I went straight back to normal - 27/28 day cycles. Several of my friends have recently got KTFU straight after stopping the pill.

So, it is definitely possible to go straight to clockwork ovulatory cycles, but equally many people can take up to a year for their cycle to straighten out.

I believe that it may have some connection to what your cycle was like before you started BCP.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had two 40 day cycles before I got pregnant.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
After going off the pill, I immediately settled into 30/31 day cycles. The weird thing was that before going on the pill, my cycles varied more than that (30-42 days). The cycle I got pregnant, I ovulated two days earlier than the other post pill months, so that probably would have been a 28/29 day cycle.

I wish someone had told me how much my nipply-places would hurt mid cycle those first two months!

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the replies, ladies! DH and I are TTC so being late could mean a couple of things. According to First Response, I'm just late. So I'm trying to decide if it's a false negative or if my body is simply adjusting to be BC-free.
Pandora II when I began taking BC I was irregular but I also had only started a few years before (late bloomer). So I really don't have a whole lot to rely on in the pre-BC regularity department.

Phoenix I am so glad you mentioned that. I've had the same hurting you mentioned. I figured it was hornmones going bonkers after getting off of BC. It's good to know that it's not just a "me" thing. Not a fun side effect... ouch!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
april, I got 7 or so false negatives before I got my positive so don''t give up hope yet.
2.gif

tiffanytwisted

Brilliant_Rock
My first cycle off BD was 35 days, then it settled into 29-30 days. At this point I would give it a few more days and test again.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I went off BC last October. My first cycle post BC was 157 days!!!! Give or take. My second cycle I didn''t ovulate until CD57. This last cycle, I never ovulated and ended it with Provera. We''ll see how long this cycle goes. I was on BC just shy of 2 years when I went off and while I wasn''t "clockwork" before, it was nothing like this. I''m still hoping to adjust back to "normal" so I can at least predict things. We''re TTA, not TTC, so I haven''t really been all that concerned by it all, just annoyed.

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Tacori Seven false negatives?? That''s impressive.
2.gif
Thanks for the encouragement!
Tiffany Thanks for the advice... I''ll hold about a bit before starting to worry.
1.gif

April20 Holy Moses, 157 days?!!?!! You''ve successfully put my three measly days into perspective.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was extremely irregular pre-BC, never knew when my body was going to do anything. That's mostly why I started charting after going off. To my surprise and delight, I was pretty regular... for the first 4 months. 28, 26, 27. Since then, it's gotten more and more irregular. 31, 21, 41, 28, 35, 31, 42. Those two in the forties had me on my toes (we're TTA). I always get AF the day after I take a pregnancy test
3.gif

Man, I sure miss clockwork cycles.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I was like clockwork before the pill and now, after 8 or 9 years on, I''m like clockwork again, but with 20 day cycles. I think it can take some people a long time to get back to normal. My personal theory is that it can have to do with how young you were when you started, but that could just be me!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
April, I *think* I read somewhere that the mid-cycle nipple pain was probably from ovulation. Mine seemed to be about halfway between periods. When did yours occur? Could be a good sign that you''re on your way back to normal cycles!

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
1. I was clockwise regular before I took BC. Accuracy within a day or so.
2. I took BC for 4 years, then stopped
3. I stopped 5 years ago, and I still don''t have a regular menstrual cycle. I went for about 10 months without one, and the doctor put me on BC again. I changed doctors, who agreed that taking BC isn''t solving my problem. After tons of tests, all they could say to me was that this doesn''t happen often, I''m probably not ovulating, sucks to be you.

I wish I''ve never taken BC, and if I''m ever blessed with children, they can make informed decision. I don''t care if my case is outside the norm. It really sucks when it does happen.

If anyone is wondering, I took the pills perfectly. I''ve never, and I mean never, missed a pill for more than two hours.

Anyway, I don''t think that this is the case for aprilcait, and I sincerely hope that it isn''t.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I was on it for 5 yrs and even when I stopped my cycle was on time

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
One was even at the doctor''s office. When I FINALLY got my *faint* positive I was 3.5 weeks gone. I had to have a blood test to confirm. I forgot to mention I was on BC pills for 13 years (to help with cysts).

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Musey I hear ya on missing the clockwork cycles! It was nice knowing exactly what day and time it would start.
Novel I can see where your theory could make sense. Although I''m secretly hoping it doesn''t since I kind of started BC on the early end.
3.gif

Phoenix The discomfort lasted for about two weeks. It''s just fading now (woohoo!). Sorry if it''s too personal to ask (if it is, just ignore the question of course), but did yours last that long too?
Choro I''m so sorry you''ve experienced such ill effects from BC. My heart goes out to you.
Atroop Thanks for the input! Maybe mine will be normal soon too.
1.gif

Tacori Not to pry, but did the doctor tell you why the pregnancy might have been so inognito?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was not far enough along. It takes a few weeks for the HcG hormone (b/c it multiplies) in your urine to show up on HPTs. Doctor''s office give you a urine test first (at least mine) which is no different than the tests you buy at the drug store. Because my cycles were so long and I didn''t really realize I ovulated later so I was not late after 28 days but after 40. Does that makes sense? I actually got pregnant the first month we tried so I wasn''t convinced I really was. The more days that passed and the more symptoms I started having was when I would take another test. Not all of the negatives happened in the same week. My doctor would not declare me pregnant until I had the blood test. Needless to say it was a VERY long pregnancy. Sometimes it is a curse to find out so early.

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/4/2009 11:23:28 AM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I was not far enough along. It takes a few weeks for the HcG hormone (b/c it multiplies) in your urine to show up on HPTs. Doctor''s office give you a urine test first (at least mine) which is no different than the tests you buy at the drug store. Because my cycles were so long and I didn''t really realize I ovulated later so I was not late after 28 days but after 40. Does that makes sense? I actually got pregnant the first month we tried so I wasn''t convinced I really was. The more days that passed and the more symptoms I started having was when I would take another test. Not all of the negatives happened in the same week. My doctor would not declare me pregnant until I had the blood test. Needless to say it was a VERY long pregnancy. Sometimes it is a curse to find out so early.
That makes perfect sense, Tacori!
Now you''re getting my wheels turning: Are these pregnancy symptoms or PMS + just-off-BC symptoms? Hmmm
28.gif

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I was one BC for a year and I was normal right away. I have heard that it can take a few months for a women to become regular again, so I wouldn''t be concerned yet. However, if it will put your mind at ease, definitely call your doctor.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
April, I started taking BCP at 18 and stopped at 34. I was also a late bloomer - 17! I also used to run 4 or more packs together to avoid AF and the migraines I used to get when I took a pill break - the reason I had to stop the pills in the end.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
April, as I recall (which isn''t totally accurately as this was a year ago), my nipples were sore here and there but the really noticeable pain only lasted a few days, maybe 3 or 4, mid-cycle the first two months off BC. But I''m sure everyone is different. I''m still waiting to meet another person whose first pregnancy symptom was ridiculous and constant burping . . .

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
first cycle was 31 days, then 28, 23, then preggo. Pre pill I was, and am, a clockwork 28 day gal. So my first cycle off the pill was indeed longer than usual.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results