Gene's newest stones (precision gem)

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Did anyone order a cushion YAG and received a rhodolite instead? :P2

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the blue and pink sapphires
I love them too and can't believe they are still up for grabs! The cut and color of the pink looks so beautiful :love:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love them too and can't believe they are still up for grabs! The cut and color of the pink looks so beautiful :love:

I’m surprised the pink is still available too. It’s a stock size at 6.5mm and it looks lovely in the video. :love:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So here’s a question for my fellow PSrs.
Why aren’t Gene’s gems selling the way they used to? I remember a time (and it doesn’t seem that long ago) when you’d be lucky to score something from one of his drops. Everything would sell out within minutes...sometimes seconds. :shock: Now it seems like the only things selling are the lab stones. Obviously, I love a good lab stone as much as anyone and I have 3 from Gene alone (an emerald, a hot pink sapphire, and a gorgeous paraiba colored YAG) but there’s something to be said for earth mined beauties. I just don’t get why the natural gems aren’t selling. He put up a lovely blue sapphire this week and a sweet pink sapphire last week and I’m really surprised they’re still showing as available.
E7FF57C8-04FF-4041-8D17-4D6E49B5B760.jpeg

B54971CE-D7B9-4BA7-9DD5-9476C0EDFA53.jpeg

Maybe it’s just me but I feel like I’ve been seeing the same thing going on with Jeff White’s drops and Yvonne Raley’s gems. All vendors with great products and fair pricing. So what do you think it is? Is it the natural ebb and flow of the gem world...or is it something else?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good question Elle!!!

This is not an answer in relation to Gene's stones specifically as I personally think he's decently priced but I find a lot of the gems from the trusted vendors very overpriced. Very small stones for a fair bit of money.

I think at a certain point people will trade cut for size and price especially if you can hide a botchy cut with a good setting and the stone is big, has good colour and is a fraction of the cost from the more well known vendors.

YC

Brilliant_Rock
I think at a certain point people will trade cut for size and price especially if you can hide a botchy cut with a good setting and the stone is big, has good colour and is a fraction of the cost from the more well known vendors.

I totally agree with you, Mellowyellowgirl, especially for those of us who cannot seem to stop ourselves from buying but do not have an unlimited jewellery budget. Also, with (....ahem....) age, I want increasingly larger stones. So I end up compromising on the cut and maybe inclusions, in order to get the largest stone for the same amount of money.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me I just don't enjoy the stress of buying his stones as they are so popular and sell out so quickly, it's like you have to manically check your email and then race to checkout. Also before he changed the PayPal settings there was all this uncertainty and suspense of who actually got it, that's not enjoyable either. If I'm spending money on something I don't want to feel rushed and then not even know if I actually got it after I sent the money through PayPal.

That's just me though.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That’s a great question @elle_71125 . I have wondered about this too. I’ve noticed stones that were once hard to get from other sellers are easier to get now vs. when I started collecting, so I don’t think it’s only happening with Gene’s drops.
Some possible reasons could be:
-There are a lot of sellers on Instagram posting daily and creating competition for sales
-Fewer new people are starting to collect CS (?)
-People who have been collecting for a while have more stones than they will ever set and only buy something they don’t already have
-The Kon Marie effect, not wanting to have more than you need
-People wanting big stones, or “Wow” colors, for under $1,000
I have looked at the gorgeous pink sapphire a few times and think someone will be lucky to have it!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Say it isn’t so! :eek2:
I was just taking a guess at possibilities. I could be very wrong!! I think it’s somewhat of a niche market, the collecting of multiple colored stones. I’m sure a lot of people out there have one, two or three gemstone rings or pendants, but I don’t know of anyone in real life that has a stash of loose colored stones or CS jewelry pieces. My local jeweler said there have been more people buying sapphire engagement rings than in the past though. I think the sapphires Gene has listed would make amazing e-ring stones.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@elle_71125 I have waaaay more stones than I could ever set. :doh: I've found with the last few stones, they arrived and I said, "Why did I do that?! I already have one like it to set!" Then I felt guilty. I'm trying very hard to only buy stones I don't have one of already, and bigger ones that are a minimum of 8mm. It rules out a lot of stones. Plus, I have several from Gene, Gary, Jeff, and Dana already, so the novelty of snatching one up has worn off. I still check their sites, just in case. ;)2

voce

Ideal_Rock
I second the opinion of the turn in the economy. For me personally, I have slowed down on collecting and I only buy unheated sapphires. That said, I picked up the fantastic heliodore from this drop.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you guys for the feedback. I’m really enjoying everyone’s perspective here. :D

Good question Elle!!!

This is not an answer in relation to Gene's stones specifically as I personally think he's decently priced but I find a lot of the gems from the trusted vendors very overpriced. Very small stones for a fair bit of money.

Like your gorgeous new pink spinel (or is it a sapphire)? Dang, I love that one! :love:
I totally get it. If you can find a native cut for a lot less and then minimize its flaws in a setting...why wouldn’t you. Plus, I’ve seen plenty native cuts out there that are pretty darn good. :mrgreen:

I totally agree with you, Mellowyellowgirl, especially for those of us who cannot seem to stop ourselves from buying but do not have an unlimited jewellery budget. Also, with (....ahem....) age, I want increasingly larger stones. So I end up compromising on the cut and maybe inclusions, in order to get the largest stone for the same amount of money.
Oh, man, do I ever hear you on the larger stones. Now days I want everything bigger and bigger. :mrgreen: And lord knows my bling budget is always tapped (probably because I’m a major impulse buyer...but let’s not discuss that).:shifty:

For me I just don't enjoy the stress of buying his stones as they are so popular and sell out so quickly, it's like you have to manically check your email and then race to checkout. Also before he changed the PayPal settings there was all this uncertainty and suspense of who actually got it, that's not enjoyable either. If I'm spending money on something I don't want to feel rushed and then not even know if I actually got it after I sent the money through PayPal.

That's just me though.
That’s a very fair point. There’s nothing worse that thinking you got it only to find out you really didn’t. :knockout:

That’s a great question @elle_71125 . I have wondered about this too. I’ve noticed stones that were once hard to get from other sellers are easier to get now vs. when I started collecting, so I don’t think it’s only happening with Gene’s drops.
Some possible reasons could be:
-There are a lot of sellers on Instagram posting daily and creating competition for sales
-Fewer new people are starting to collect CS (?)
-People who have been collecting for a while have more stones than they will ever set and only buy something they don’t already have
-The Kon Marie effect, not wanting to have more than you need
-People wanting big stones, or “Wow” colors, for under $1,000
I have looked at the gorgeous pink sapphire a few times and think someone will be lucky to have it!
You made a lot of great points. I didn’t even think of the Instagram sellers. I feel like that really changed things up.

I will say I have slowed down with stone purchases too. I have a lot of the colors I’m looking for and I’ve been working on getting things set instead so I can actually wear them. And I hear you on the big stones for less money. :D

I was just taking a guess at possibilities. I could be very wrong!! I think it’s somewhat of a niche market, the collecting of multiple colored stones. I’m sure a lot of people out there have one, two or three gemstone rings or pendants, but I don’t know of anyone in real life that has a stash of loose colored stones or CS jewelry pieces. My local jeweler said there have been more people buying sapphire engagement rings than in the past though. I think the sapphires Gene has listed would make amazing e-ring stones.
No, I totally get it. I was just making a joke. Honestly, I don’t know anyone with a CS gem in real life. Well, sometimes you see the gemstone necklaces from Zales or Kay’s but nothing that I would consider a true CS.

Agree on Gene’s sapphire. That blue was meant for an e-ring.

All the vendors including the people that go to big gem shows say that the market has slowed. Down turn in the economy, or just generally I don't know.....
Thanks Arkie. I know you have a longstanding connection to the jewelry market so it’s nice to hear your input. ;)2

I second the opinion of the turn in the economy. For me personally, I have slowed down on collecting and I only buy unheated sapphires. That said, I picked up the fantastic heliodore from this drop.
Oh, I loved that helidore...such a gorgeous color. I can’t wait to see your pics. :love:

I’ve been trying not to buy new gems as much because I still have quite a few things to set. I don’t want my gems to live in little gem boxes for the rest of their days.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Also pure speculation, but it does seem like there are more sellers these days, though all the ideas mentioned sound plausable.

Diamonds definatly seem to be slowing down. Should be an interesting next few years..

mdi

Shiny_Rock
I actually bought (and got!) the red lab ruby for a few reasons:

-had previously seen one of Gene's lab rubies (bought it on LT and passed it on to someone else as I felt the size was a bit big and didn't love the brilliant cut for a ruby -- it was gorgeous, but more clearly a lab stone in that cut, at least to me)
-I love rubies, like capital-L love them, but the more time I spent on PS and researching them, it became clear that I will never own the kind of ruby I'd want to own (maaaaaybe something similar in a teeny weeny size)
-and if I had a "reasonable" budget to play with, I know myself, and would find it incredible difficult to drop all that money on a gemstone.
-yes, this lab ruby is huge and bigger than the one I passed on over the summer, but holy wow, that cut! I am really excited to see it in person, and I think the fact that it's meant to resemble more of a native cut will appeal to me.

Anyway, TL;DR, I prefer earth-mined stones, but could not pass on the chance to own a giant, precision-cut ruby for under $300. Maybe one day when I have three extra zeroes laying around, I'll be able to go for the real deal! Although at that point, I'd probably put it in stocks, ha! ;-)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That pink and blue sapphire would make for a great bypass ring. I don’t care much for lab stones except as melee, to enhance a natural stone in a halo type setting for example. I hope he cuts more natural gems, but if he’s selling a lab ruby for $300, lab gems are probably more lucrative for him. Natural rough is much more expensive, especially corundum. Neon green YAG is also inexpensive as I see it touted for very little on JTV. You are primarily paying for Gene’s artistry with synthetics.

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
If your lab creations are selling like hotcakes and the natural gems are languishing longer in the store, it's smart to cut more gems from lab though because of the quicker turnaround for the money you invest, buying rough.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That pink and blue sapphire would make for a great bypass ring.
Oh my gosh, that would be gorgeous! A bypass ring for those stones never occurred to me, but look at how well the colors compliment each other...together with diamond halo’s :love: . Where is that money tree when you need it! I hope someone does a bypass ring with these so I can live vicariously through them!:))
8DF4D281-465C-4710-B618-FD4C3AB6E57D.jpeg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, that would be gorgeous! A bypass ring for those stones never occurred to me, but look at how well the colors compliment each other...together with diamond halo’s :love: . Where is that money tree when you need it! I hope someone does a bypass ring with these so I can live vicariously through them!:))
8DF4D281-465C-4710-B618-FD4C3AB6E57D.jpeg
Those would be pretty as a bypass, but I was referring more to the round blue sapphire above. I love how the pink and blue are similar shape, cut, tone and saturation, but complimenting hues.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
By the way, as for Gene’s stones not selling in a nanosecond like they used to, I truly believe it’s due to more competition in the marketplace. Before Instagram, and Etsy, it was hard to find precision cut gems.

In the past, on PS, I remember almost everyone got their gems from Gene, Dan, Barry, Dana and Jeff. You heard those five names constantly, but now I’m hearing about so many other dealers, some I never heard of before. You ladies definitely love to shop around.

I never even hear of Barry anymore! Did he retire?

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Those would be pretty as a bypass, but I was referring more to the round blue sapphire above.
Ah, haha. That would be beautiful as well. It looks like the smaller blue round has sold now...
I never even hear of Barry anymore! Did he retire?
He had posted on his site that his shop was closed in September due to health issues. His site just recently re-opened for purchases. He’s such a gem and I hope he’s feeling better.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Barry had eye surgery and had some time off and a few health issues, but is still cutting whenever he can, he is also a lovely guy!!!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have slowed down because I have a lot of the colors I wanted. I gathered more than my original “rainbow project” plan. I want to be able to wear and enjoy the things I have collected. Still have some things to set if I can ever save enough money!

I love Gene’s cutting and I definitely am tempted, especially by his Madagascar sapphires.

Batgirl76

Shiny_Rock
The blue and purple sapphire video was helpful. I’d like to see videos of Gene’s lab stones too though (and hopefully more of them posted for sale).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results