carat
color
clarity

General Mattis finally breaks his silence

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And criticizes Trump.

YES! This is important. Mattis is highly respected among conservatives, folks in the military, etc. Him denouncing Trump (which I suspected he would do eventually) is going to take votes away from him.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finally! We need more voices like this to drown out President Tweety and his moronic self-congratulations. And these people need to take one step further and endorse Biden. I don't care if they're only lukewarm toward him, he's the only hope we've got to get rid of this narcissistic dictator-in-training.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finally! We need more voices like this to drown out President Tweety and his moronic self-congratulations. And these people need to take one step further and endorse Biden. I don't care if they're only lukewarm toward him, he's the only hope we've got to get rid of this narcissistic dictator-in-training.

This. I have hope that GWB will endorse Biden (or at least denounce Trump and say he's willing to vote Biden to get Trump out). I am not a fan of GWB, but think his voice would be hugely influential to conservatives.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs
I hope so too. He's come very close to denouncing Trump a couple of times recently. Say what you will about GWB, he never sought to divide the country into the haves vs the have-nots, the people of color vs white people, big business vs the consumer and the environment.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And these people need to take one step further and endorse Biden. I don't care if they're only lukewarm toward him, he's the only hope we've got to get rid of this narcissistic dictator-in-training.

Speaking of which, he did good yesterday. Managed to give a decent speech without tripping over himself.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs
I hope so too. He's come very close to denouncing Trump a couple of times recently. Say what you will about GWB, he never sought to divide the country into the haves vs the have-nots, the people of color vs white people, big business vs the consumer and the environment.

I'd take GWB back in a microsecond if it meant getting rid of 45.

Is it too late for the repubs to hold a primary.
Surely, they have someone better than 45.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is super scary and concerning. He used the military to assault citizens peacefully protesting and exercising their right. For what? A photo op.

This is the behavior of a dictator, how can a democracy allow this? Ugh. I’m not surprised that Mattis is choosing this moment to draw a line. This has been the most blatant constitutional violation of all in my opinion.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You can say the same about Biden.
I think im just going to have to leave it blank because I can not bring myself to support Trump or Biden.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think im just going to have to leave it blank because I can not bring myself to support Trump or Biden.

So please vote for whomever you feel is the least-worst candidate.

Have your say.
Don't waste your vote.
If you do, whomever you feel is worse might win by one vote, yours. :(sad

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I dislike Biden but I’m horrified of Trump and what he’s done.
I’m not voting Biden so much because I support all his views, more that if Trump gets re-elected I couldn’t live with myself for not voting to prevent that. 4 more years of the current administration, emboldened by re election despite their actions of the prior 4 years....scares me to think what would happen.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Have your say.
Don't waste your vote.

This is critical. Please vote. It is not always a matter of voting for your favorite candidate but voting for the one you dislike the least. Sad but true and under many circumstances not voting is a vote for the candidate you dislike the most so please get out and vote and make yourself heard.

votemlkjr.png

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock

Have your say.
Don't waste your vote.

I 100% agree. Recent history of how close Gore lost to Bush shows that every vote does matter. I am not thrilled with Biden but I will vote for him because I fear how much further our country will sink if I don't. I feel strongly that Trump needs to go, so if Biden is the only way that will happen, I will vote for Biden. All my friends and family feel the same way. Nobody is thrilled about Biden, but we still plan on voting for him.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Have your say.
Don't waste your vote.
Maybe I will look at 3rd party and see if there is anyone interesting running.
Maybe its time to try 3rd parties, the 2 party system is not working.
Biden is going to win IL no matter what I do anyway so its a protest vote\nonvote at the quality of the canidates more than anything.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
This is super scary and concerning. He used the military to assault citizens peacefully protesting and exercising their right. For what? A photo op.

This is the behavior of a dictator, how can a democracy allow this? Ugh. I’m not surprised that Mattis is choosing this moment to draw a line. This has been the most blatant constitutional violation of all in my opinion.

Yep. Nothing but a stupid photo op. And Barr is who gave the orders to clear the protesters. Both need to go. It took Mattis a long time, but I'm so glad he finally spoke out. Maybe that will make some on the right realize just how bad Trump is. I doubt it, but maybe.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What criteria do you want in a candidate? You are close to extreme libertarian with a lot o right wing thrown in .. Who do you think would be a GOOD candidate given your political beliefs.?

Maybe I will look at 3rd party and see if there is anyone interesting running.
Maybe its time to try 3rd parties, the 2 party system is not working.
Biden is going to win IL no matter what I do anyway so its a protest vote\nonvote at the quality of the canidates more than anything.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
What criteria do you want in a candidate? You are close to extreme libertarian with a lot o right wing thrown in .. Who do you think would be a GOOD candidate given your political beliefs.?
Number 1 criteria is being able to lead, something both Trump and Biden fail at.
Number 2 is respect for the constitution including the second amendment.
Number 3 not in the pocket of big business.
Number 4 supports expanded medicaid, it is the best part of obamacare and helped a lot of people. To go along with that supports the ban on pre-existing conditions meaning you can never get insurance.
Number 5 eliminate much of the federal government departments. Fund program through block grants as needed.
Number 6 end all foreign aid.
Number 7 pull all our troops out of the middle east and Europe.

I dont know of a perfect candidate so no matter who it was it would be a compromise but really number 1 on my list should not be compromised on! I know 3,5,6,7 are not likely to happen no matter who runs and wins.

I kinda chuckled at your description, my friends on the left call me right wing and my friends on the right call me a liberal at heart.

mom2dolls

Shiny_Rock
Please please please VOTE!! A non-vote is a vote to re-elect Trump!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Karl_K said:

Number 1 criteria is being able to lead, something both Trump and Biden fail at.

I think they are both leaders, just they both lead in programs and commitments you don't like or want.

Number 2 is respect for the constitution including the second amendment.

All presidents respect the constitution, why do you think Trump and/or Biden don't or won't respect the constitution?

Number 3 not in the pocket of big business.

I'd say Trump isn't in the pocket of big business but he aligns with big business and not with the poor. I've not checked how much Biden is in the pocket of big business but both parties usually are in one way or another.

Number 4 supports expanded medicaid, it is the best part of obamacare and helped a lot of people. To go along with that supports the ban on pre-existing conditions meaning you can never get insurance.

This will require an expansion (a huge one) of the federal government and a huge raise in taxes, don't think that will fly with the right but it's noble to want this.

Number 5 eliminate much of the federal government departments. Fund program through block grants as needed.

So why have a 'federal government? Are you saying you want the USA to be isolated in the world and states to provide for themselves? So how would you fund the medicaid expansion if you fund programs through block grants? If you would read the below and tell me your opinion on how to overcome these problems? I'm not a proponent of block grants or an opponent, I just especially do not like that states can disperse the money the way they want.

Number 6 end all foreign aid.

A rich country like our country not giving foreign aid? This goes back to my isolationist comment..

Number 7 pull all our troops out of the middle east and Europe.

Sounds good to me I'm for eliminating the whole military machine.

I dont know of a perfect candidate so no matter who it was it would be a compromise but really number 1 on my list should not be compromised on! I know 3,5,6,7 are not likely to happen no matter who runs and wins.

There are progressives - I'm one, I'd say you are regressive - not a bad thing just different than how I see this country but we both have regressive and progressive thoughts on a good leader.

I kinda chuckled at your description, my friends on the left call me right wing and my friends on the right call me a liberal at heart.

I'm sure your friends no the right listen to your idea on medicaid for all and just stare, that is not something they would ever agree too I believe.

Of course there are tons of other things to talk about in our government, but I appreciate your stating what you desire

I would say I want a New Deal for our country. I would like a president who has compassion, caring, clear headed, strong, intelligent and like you, not beholding to any business.. I suppose we can dream on that :)

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All presidents respect the constitution, why do you think Trump and/or Biden don't or won't respect the constitution?

Trump does not respect the Constitution as has been abundantly clear even before he took office.

and so much more.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You are being ridiculous here, Karl. Joe Biden is not intellectually impaired. He is not only a law school graduate, but he distiguished himself in foreign affairs when he was a Senator. Donald Trump cannot concentrate to read. That may not be his fault. He may have learning disabiities. If he does have them, however, and he somehow wound up becoming president, it would behoove him to get all the help possible to be briefed orally on important topics. He has not done that. He has run away from all the experts who have attempted to brief him and to help him to understand the world.

edited to add: I thought you wrote "read"

As Emily Litella said, "Never mind".

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For those of you who don't know Emily Litella:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am starting to see some conservative family members who were pro Trump and initially very vocal about supporting him become increasingly silent about him. One family member and his wife are choosing a similar route as @Karl_K and not going to vote in the next election.

I think there's a growing silent minority of conservatives/people who voted for Trump who are choosing to abstain from voting as a way of expressing dissent.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
True.

Trump does not respect the Constitution as has been abundantly clear even before he took office.

and so much more.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Bayek I dont want to do a huge quote so im not.

I dont see where Trump has shown any leadership ability with the corona virus or with the current unrest.
If anything he has made both situations worse instead of better.
A leader of a country does not pour gasoline and tnt on a bad situation like Trump has done in the last couple of days.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
may i ask what people don't like about Biden ?
from afar i think the Dems need someone who will have mass appeal with the swing vote
they need to get a significant portion of the soft right vote

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results