shape
carat
color
clarity

GemHunt

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hongerhond

Rough_Rock
Has anybody had any experience buying a diamond from www.gemhunt.com? Know anything about them? Thanks.

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Powered by, E-bay, hmmm...

Periodically, you will always find something about an e-bay scam,
now and then on these boards.

My best advise, is to be careful..

Kirk Konst

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've looked at their auctions for a while on eBay..here are my two cents. They seem to be one of the more reputable diamond sellers on eBay though I have not purchased from them. I like the fact that they give more info than most diamond sellers, and that their prices are not so ridiculously low that you smell a fraud. But again..I have never purchased from them.

I have noticed when viewing some of their stones, that they do seem to sell some of the less 'ideal' stones..not that these are any less desirable to the right person, but I have seen a few large tabled, large depth stones on there, which probably aren't the best cut stones (e.g. 61% table, 63% depth). I have maybe only seen a handful of what appear to possibly be well cut stones on their auctions. It's hard to tell because most of their stones have GIA certs so there are not angles to compare, etc. If cut is not a priority for you and you are going for size and price, then you should be fine, but I would suggest strongly confirming their return policy (if they have one) and then when receiving the diamond, getting it appraised at a 3rd party independent appraiser and having it thoroughly checked out within your return period.

Personally--from what I have seen on their auctions, their prices are good, but in my opinion you can find somewhat similar pricing from other online reputable jewelers who try to stay competitive. I would view the vendor listing at the top of this site and see if you see anything similar, or run a Pricescope search and compare. Why buy from eBay when you could buy from a bonified online co with a good rep and know you won't get scammed? Just my two cents. eBay is great for spectacular deals but if you are going to pay almost the same price you would by purchasing from an online dealer, why not get the extra security they give vs. an eBay auction?

For spectacular pricing, the best sites I found were dirtcheapdiamonds.com, diamondwholesle.cc, and affordablediamondsonline.com. They don't have alot of info on the stones up front so you have to email them, but if you are looking for cut-rate pricing, they were the best ones I found in my searches. DCD and DW are highly reputed on the forums (DW is owned by WhiteFlash which has a great rep..they are like the discount arm of WF).

Good luck, whatever you choose!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well actually I just checked out their website, they actually give you alot of info...not brilliancscope, sarin etc but they have closeups of the stones and the cert copy and if its an EGL obviously you can get crown and pav % and convert then plug into HCA. I found a good looking very clean 1.56c H VS2 for $7790 with an EGL LA cert and it got a 1.1 TIC on the HCA. Interesting!!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Maybe I'm wrong, but they seem to be very reputable. They offer many GIA certed stones with beautiful close ups that are very helpful, as they show you the inclusions and cut characteristics. Their return policies seem honest too... Prices are very good, but like Mara said, nothing exceptional.
I checked their site and they have a beautiful very good/ideals cuts that are worth a look, but they heve several offmakes too... Take a little time and check carefully their inventory.
Good luck in your search!!
1.gif

Giangi

Hongerhond

Rough_Rock
Thank you for sharing your opinions, you guys are great! I am not THAT concerned about price, but of course I would like a good deal.

The diamond in my engagement ring is .41 carat, E colour, VS2. The diamond is gorgeous, however, I have no idea of the cut! I didn't even know that cut was important until I started my search a few weeks ago. Our 10 year anniversary is coming up this year and we ...uh... I (!) am ready for a one carat diamond.

I don't want to replace my old diamond, I want to wear the new one on my other hand. Therefore I think they should be similar in appearance - I don't want one to completely overshadow the other, exept of course in size. I guess that will be hard to accomplish without actually physically comparing the two diamonds. After reading about the importance of cut, I now understand that choosing the same colour and clarity is not going to give me similar diamonds. Would a one carat with the same colour, clarity AND cut be similar? Would I need to unmount my diamond for an evaluation of the cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results