shape
carat
color
clarity

Gem Certify everything?

MrsTulip

Rough_Rock
Do you send off every colored stone you buy, or just the ones where the stone's price/expected value is significantly higher than the price for a independent certification?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely, sapphires and rubies. Any stone which is over $ 1K or if I plan to spend a lot on setting. A stone which a point of controversy between a vendor and my appraiser (the vendor's certificate says, unheated, and my appraiser says, heated). Stones where specific tests are difficult (e.e. I have a tourmaline which was sold to me as a cuprian by a very respectable jeweler. I plan to send it to AGL to confirm). Or any situation where I need a peace of mind, and I don't have it.

(There was a moment, when I sent all spinels I bought from Tan and from Eric to AGL to get certed. They all came back as natural spinels.)

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I don't unless the stone is over 1k or just a rare gem that I'm looking for piece of mind on as PP pointed out. I don't send all my CS out because I have too many- I would spend a small fortune in certing them.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sent a sapphire that cost 1300 because a brief report provided by the seller came back as a Pad so I wanted origin with a full prestige report. On the other hand, I bought a 6K spinel and have not had it certed. There is no doubt when you see it that it is a mahenge spinel.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you mean to an independent lab or to an independent appraiser? I will answer based on the former.

If the stone is purchased as non-treated (and thus, non-heated). This is a must for corundum.

For all others, it depends on the type of gemstone, price paid, the inclusions and who it is purchased from. For stones that have a tendency to be diffused (colour is suspect), synthetic (too clean) or be a simulant, I will opt for an AGL fast track brief that is inexpensive but does the job well if I am not familiar with the vendor. For emeralds, verification of the level of treatment (filling) is also recommended.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
This is very educational. Is it possible to do a Prestige Gemstone Report (including origin, id and enhancement) on a stone that is set (either with prongs or in a bezel with an open back)?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not know about GIA but am aware that AGL will do this for stones that are already set, with a slight upcharge.

MrsTulip

Rough_Rock
You guys are the greatest. This is really good info.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
First - there is no such thing as a 'certificate' - what you get is a report based on the OPINION of a trained gemmologist and based on the tests and information available at that time.

I don't get reports done for my stones as I would hope I know what I am buying! The exception would be for unheated corundum and any pad sapphires. Then I get a basic report to establish there is no evidence of heat for the unheated stones, and only low heat for pad stones (low heat rules out Be diffusion).

If I was the average consumer then I would ask for the same corundum reports for stones over $2k, and just stick to trusted vendors for everything else.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I only buy from a few vendors that I trust to be honest in their practice, so I do not typically ask for a report. For purchases over 1-2k, I would get a report and then appraisal for purposes of insurance.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results