shape
carat
color
clarity

Gday from Down Under!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your new stones!!! Happy belated birthday from a fellow Cancerian!!!

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thankyou very much for your comment on my new stones arkieb1! Cancerians are such great people. Maybe a little crabby at times! Oh that joke was a fail :dance: This last gem had a big cap of rutile crystals on one side of the rough. Didn't have much expectations for it but managed to cut them out. Will take a nice photo of it today! I am doing a peridot next for my aunties 50th birthday. She is going to be a happy camper when she gets it. It is a nice apple green Pakistani peridot.

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
Happy Belated Birthday!

G'Day from QLD :wavey:

I'm a bit late to the party but its great to see some fabulous gem cutting happening in Australia :appl:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, I am stunned by the gorgeous colors of your sapphire rough. You have really opened my eyes as up until now, I admit to having a bias against Aussie sapphs. But your work/these stones have completely changed my mind. Lovely color.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
minousbijoux|1437186250|3904356 said:
Honestly, I am stunned by the gorgeous colors of your sapphire rough. You have really opened my eyes as up until now, I admit to having a bias against Aussie sapphs. But your work/these stones have completely changed my mind. Lovely color.

This thread has done the same for me as well, it's given me the boot in the back-side and the ideas for what I now want to do with my spare time and possibly my career as well. Bi-annual trips to Inverell are now on the cards to go fossick for Aussie Blue Sapphire rough :naughty:

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hello ladies and gentlemen,
I am glad that you guys are enjoying the thread!

Hippi pixi great to hear from another queenslander and I am glad to hear you like the cutting and gems! :D

Minoubijoux that is probably the biggest compliment I could hear! Thankyou soooooooo much. I know that a lot of people do not hold Australian sapphires in high regard and it is true that we do have some low grade material come out of the ground, but what mining area doesn't. It is a shame that our top quality stone usually change nationality once it leaves our shores but I am not here to preach about that. I think let the gems do the talking and I am here to share with you guys my love of sapphires/gems and particularly Quality Aussie stones. I have not touched any of the larger rough yet (Except stars) and there sure are some absolute rippers to come!

Jordy time to get out there and get hands on!

Here is a shot of the yellow again and a couple of lil blues from Inverell which I finished recently.

Jamie
(I removed the blues cause I want to reshoot them as they where not in focus to my liking)

golden_yellow.jpg

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
the yellow is gorgeous!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have an amazing stone collection!! I love the group pic.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Great work with the yellow Jamie! Yeah I'm working on getting out to the gem club soon, unfortunately working in a 24/7 emergency team is not exactly what I would call accommodating for a social life. My first visit to the gem club will be some time between sleep and 11pm-7am shifts next week :lol:

High quality Aussie stones are changing nationality when they leave our shores? That is really interesting and not something that I thought would happen since we are in a developed, western country. I'm not asking you to preach about how it happens, but what country do you think the stones are 'naturalized' to?

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi ladies and gentlemen,

Jordy, I am sorry but I am not going to talk about that here because I want this thread to be about beautiful aussie gemstones.

Hippi pixi, Thanks again for your lovely comment.

Acinom, your comments are always welcome and thankyou.

Here are the blues that I reshot from the last post. Believe it or not these 2 beauties were from the same piece of rough! One cut down c-axis and the other cut on the cross table. The stone had a big flaw in it so had to cut it. I learnt a lot about orientation from these stones. Which color do you guys prefer, lighter or darker?

Jamie

inverell_blues.jpg

img_8690.jpg

img_8691.jpg

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Those 2 blues are phenomenal Jamie, I have to admit I like the darker toned blue. Also my apologies, that's completely fair about Aussie stone naturalization; this thread has indeed had some amazing Aussie Sapphires and let's keep it that way :appl:

I'll have to start my own or necro this one once I can finally cut my own stones :lol:

austinj

Shiny_Rock
These are gorgeous! I love that you've kept them untreated! Well done.

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hello people,
Thankyou very much for your nice comment austinj! I want to know if you own that ring in your avatar because I absolutely love it and how the stone is cut!
I am torn between the two shades of blue. I like them both!
Here is a video of an unusual opal I cut from lightning ridge with a chocolaty (spelling?) potch on the back of it. I hope you guys like it.
https://youtu.be/eUOgzhA19Zc

oops I put the wrong one on! here is the one I meant to post!
https://youtu.be/wOsauOBJPF8

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi ladies and gentlemen,
Got a new stone or 2 done and thought I would share one of them with you guys. It is my aunties 50th birthday this weekend and her birthstone is peridot. She has no peridot but she really likes it, so I decided to source some really nice Pakistani material and cut her one so she can set it as she wishes. The stone is 1.7ct. I hope you guys like it. Do you guys like triangle cuts? Also I should be finishing off a nice green cushion cut sapphire today too.

jan_s_peridot.jpg

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need to start offering these beauties for sale - it's killing me looking at them all day and being unable to make them mine... :naughty:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Great work again mate, you're killing me with these pics!! I'm itching to get down to the lapidary club now but am having trouble finding time off to get there, bad weather means I'm working 12-16 hour shifts at work :(

I'm keen to see this Green Sapphire, I never really thought much of them until I saw the stones that you've cut mate. They're bloody awesome :)

Did you source the Pakistani Peridot from here in Aus? I only ask because I'm 99% sure we've also got Peridot here

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi ladies and gentlemen,
Thanks for your comment Hotpozzum. It made me chuckle a little. I love the naughty emoji. The collection sure is growing so might have to do something bout that. I sort of feel like Smaug the dragon in the hobbit collecting treasures :lol: .

Jordy, they are definitely some long hours your doing! Thanks for your comment and yes I did source that peridot rough here in oz. There definitely is peridot from Australia but I have not seen it very often plus my aunty likes the apple green color which is typical of Pakistani material.

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Good morning,
Thought I would share with my gem friends a star sapphire I have finished recently! It is a nice light blue colored gem in a pear shape. It is quite large at 13.2ct. The star seems a bit duller in the photos than IRL. I hope you guys like it.

blue_star.jpg

blue_star_2.jpg

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hello gemlovers!
Here is another star I have recently finished which I loooovvvveeee! A nice dark steely blue/grey color with dark corner. Please excuse the little bit of fluff on it. This one is approximately 28cts. Please let me know if you don't like the stars as I won't put them up if this is so. I hope you all enjoy!
AJ

nice_star.jpg

nice_star2.jpg

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Great work again mate, the last star sapphire looks great! Are these Aussie stones as well?

I saw a video on youtube of a couple mining Peridot here in Australia with that apple-green colour that you mentioned your aunty likes. I'll try post the link a little later if I can :)

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
HotPozzum|1438572593|3910356 said:
You need to start offering these beauties for sale - it's killing me looking at them all day and being unable to make them mine... :naughty:

:appl: 1++

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hello all,
Thankyou very much for your comments Jordy and Marlow!

Jordy- These are both Australian star sapphires from the same mine as where all the other central Queensland gems have come from in the thread. There are certainly some large stars that I still have to cabochon! I have finished a beautiful green star sapphire with a golden star which is amazing! Unfortunately it is not in my possession at the moment as I sent it back to my miner friend.

Marlow- Thanks for your comment as it makes me feel that it is a possible option to create a site to sell some of my gems and also that my cutting is at a decent standard. By the way, I loved the coloring/flourescence information you wrote about in the mahenge thread and dichroscope thread. You clearly possess quality knowledge about gemstones!

Anyway here is a green square cushion sapphire I finished a couple of days ago. Weighs 1.15cts and I hope you guys like it.

AJ
(just noticed the saturation in first photo looks over done. I did not tweak anything and photo is from my iphone.)

green_cushion_1.jpg

green_cushion_2.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That green sapphire :love: :love: :love:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So there's star sapphires as well as facet quality sapphires coming from the same mine? Have to say I am shocked! Is this the same place that the blues are coming from as well?

Once I've been to the lap club and learnt how to facet then I may need you to source some rough for me to practice on, you've got a great eye and you've single handedly turned me towards wanting to cut Aussie stones. I always had a bit of prejudice against our country's rough but you've changed my mind :appl:

P.s. let me know when you're in Melbourne and we can go for a beer :D

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Aussiejamie

Not a homepage ( we want to see your creations HERE!!) - offer them exclusive on Loupetroop!!!

You have a very high quality in your pics and your cutting and the material is awesome!! You will sell them quickly here, I am sure!!
This is real PS material - ethical sourced, untreated, beautiful colors and custom cutting.

And it would be great if you send me a PM on the other gemological forum which is online.
Will give you the homepage of the vendor who sold the Torrington emeralds to me - they are now in australia.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the lighter blue as it gives me more options without worry of the stone blacking out. I can halo it, bezel it, wear it indoors and all that whilst still able to see it clearly as blue.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AJ: I don't want to burst your bubble, and I do love seeing your stones (as you know, I think your colors are awesome), but if you are thinking at all about selling stones, then please stop posting here. Respected vendors as well as cutters will say that you received an unfair advantage by basically advertising your stones in an exclusive thread on PS when they are not allowed to do the same.

Please consider selling, but I would advise you to either stop this thread now if you are contemplating it, or have the mods delete this thread the minute you post something for sale. Otherwise, it will appear as if you started this thread as a marketing mechanism, unfortunately. :(sad

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Selling some on loupetroop as a private person and continue to post some new gems would be a problem... :((

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Marlow|1438974336|3912246 said:
Selling some on loupetroop as a private person and continue to post some new gems would be a problem... :((

Sorry if someone is selling stones that are not their own pre owned items for profit, they are considered trade regardless of whether the venue is their own website or loupe troop.

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Good morning everybody,

Well did not really expect to see what was written in the thread tbh! Was out bush during the weekend. The reason I originally started this thread was to show the Pricescope community that there are some nice sapphires that come out of Australia as I know they don't have a very good reputation around the world. Secondly, was to introduce myself to the forum as I had been a reader for quite some time but never engaged in actively posting, of which I am glad I have started as I really do enjoy participating and sharing knowledge to the PS community.

I want to point out that I have not sold any gems but it is a possibility at a later time so just incase it does happen I will stop posting pictures of any gems that could possibly be sold. I do however want to know whether I can post pictures of gems that I cut for myself and my friends or family which are given as presents such as my aunties peridot (she absolutely loved it and the waterworks started up when I presented it to her!). I really want to do the right thing by everyone and am very happy that there is a resource like Pricescope on the net for the public to ask questions and further their knowledge in regards to Gemstones as IMO a knowledgeable marketplace is a good marketplace as it keeps everyone honest!

Minousbijoux - I suppose now is as good a time as any for my bubble to burst lol. But I value your comments and honesty in pointing out that it could be a conflict of interest if I did start selling. (Super glad that you like the aussie sapphires!)

Marlow- I really appreciate that you like my cutting and gemstones and it was awesome when you said that they are real PS material. I will have to create an account on the other gemmological forum as I do like the unusual emeralds that come out of Torrington.

Chrono- I love the idea of haloing that blue star.

Jordy- Thanks for your comment too! The stars are from the same mine in central Queensland where the greens and yellows have been coming from. There aren't really to many stars that come from the New England area whereas quite a few are up north! They are mixed in with the facettable stones, as stars are really just sapphires with a specific inclusion in it namely rutile! You can see the rutile needles as the whitish lines in the blue star (and to lesser extent the dark star) that I posted earlier.

Acinom-Thanks for the comment on the green cushion. It sure is a beauty and looks good with all the others.

Thanks everyone,
AJ

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results