shape
carat
color
clarity

Garmin or TomTom GPS which ones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2009 5:47:21 PM
Author: D&T

Date: 7/29/2009 4:59:41 PM
Author: April20

D & T- Did you get your Garmin yet? I thought of you today when I used mine and wanted to reitterate how much better it is than my Tom Tom was.

1. It seems to find a signal MUCH more quickly than the Tom Tom did. I''ve gotten myself lost before waiting for the stupid Tom Tom to pick up the signal.

2. Once it finds the signal, it automatically switches to whatever state I''m in rather than just the last state I looked up directions in. Case in point- the last time I used it I was in Baltimore. I flew to Kansas City this morning and it automatically set Missouri as the state- i didn''t have to manually change it as I would have had to on my Tom Tom.

3. I''ve found the routes it selects are more easily navigated than the ones I got with my Tom Tom. I don''t know what it''s deal was, but it LOVED weird streets sometimes. The Garmin seems to do this much less.

I just looked at the one I have and it''s the Nuvi 250w.

Hey April - I just got back from vaca with the family just last night, so I have still been contemplating the 260 or 255 but now you say the 250? does that speak the street names as well? I did read that the 260 is the newer version that kinda picks up faster than the 255. I don''t really need one until oh about four more weeks since we won''t be going on another trip then where we actually will need it, so I''ll be keeping my eye out for one. Thanks for thinking of me. Definitely I will be going with a Garmin, thanks everyone for your reassurance.
Mine doesn''t speak the street names. I''d totally step up to the one that does if you get a great deal.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone for your input. It was greatly appreciated!. I just got my Garmin 260W and absolutely love it so far. It was between the 350 (extended battery life of 3 hours greater, MP3 but no wide screen) and 260w but for $135 brand new i couldn''t pass up. Thanks again really appreciate your help.
36.gif

April20

Ideal_Rock
You got a great price!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/12/2009 3:24:41 PM
Author: April20
You got a great price!
April - you''ve been such a great help! thank you btw

April20

Ideal_Rock
You''re welcome. Being that I am on my THIRD GPS in a year, I have more firsthand GPS knowledge than I should!

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Bah. I can''t believe I only see this thread now. I just made this very decision LAST NIGHT, and based on reading reviews on Amazon (and never having purchased a GPS before) I decided to go with TomTom. Now you all are recommending Garmin!! Argh. Oh well. I hope the TomTom is OK. I got one with text-to-speech, so it will announce street names.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/12/2009 4:53:54 PM
Author: mscushion
Bah. I can''t believe I only see this thread now. I just made this very decision LAST NIGHT, and based on reading reviews on Amazon (and never having purchased a GPS before) I decided to go with TomTom. Now you all are recommending Garmin!! Argh. Oh well. I hope the TomTom is OK. I got one with text-to-speech, so it will announce street names.
I think you''ll be fine, My coworker has a TomTom she loves it, though I don''t think she has tried any others. So as long as it works and takes you to point A -B then i think you''re good to go. Researching techy stuff can make my head spin, it takes me while, then my last resort is to ask all you folks on PS right before I jump and buy
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results