shape
carat
color
clarity

Gardeners: Flower identification help?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live in a very small village surrounded by farmland for miles. I run 3 times a week through the woodlands, and from around May there are beautiful flowers that have a long season, in the dark, wet pond areas. I'm struggling to dentify them! They're a cross between a wild orchid & snap dragon - here they are in all their glory this morning. Can anyone help? It's bugging me!!

img_20160906_092217808_hdr.jpg

img_20160906_092224510.jpg

img_20160906_092230871.jpg

Reactions: AV_

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alex T|1473267699|4074102 said:
I live in a very small village surrounded by farmland for miles.
I run 3 times a week through the woodlands, and from around May there are beautiful flowers that have a long season, in the dark, wet pond areas.

I don't know anything about that beautiful flower ... but ... can I come live with you. :oops: :))
Sounds like heaven.

MiriamS

Rough_Rock
I think you have Impatiens glandulifera, it is commonly known as Jewelweed or Himalayan balsam (other common names too.)

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sharing the location where you see these (not your street address) might help narrow down possible options for those familiar with native plants in that region.

Might you have or able to get a closer up picture of the blooms?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1473269627|4074107 said:
I run 3 times a week through the woodlands, and from around May there are beautiful flowers that have a long season, in the dark, wet pond areas.

I don't know anything about that beautiful flower ... but ... can I come live with you. :oops: :))
Sounds like heaven.

Of course you can! But I get the Octavia in rental :Up_to_something:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1473276283|4074121 said:
MiriamS|1473271382|4074112 said:
I think you have Impatiens glandulifera, it is commonly known as Jewelweed or Himalayan balsam (other common names too.)

That looks good - based on a google image search, anyhow!

What a lovely flower - but it looks like it's also considered an invasive species in some places.

http://www.freshwaterlife.org/imagearchive/main.php?g2_itemId=3691
http://www.innertubemap.com/2013/06/himalayan-balsam-bashing-1-july-2013/

Yes! It's exactly this!! Thank you VR & Miriam!
So very grateful! I can have a good read about them now. They are literally a carpet for about 1/2 kilometer on & off through that part of the wood. It's very overhung by trees & always dark & damp, as in the last picture I posted.

This has bugged me every time they bloom for at least 4 years. Thanks everyone :appl:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1473273231|4074117 said:
Sharing the location where you see these (not your street address) might help narrow down possible options for those familiar with native plants in that region.

Might you have or able to get a closer up picture of the blooms?

I am in Cheshire in the UK. It's a very beautiful part of the world :))

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I always find it amazing that invasive species can be so beautiful. I would have thought this was an orchid and endangered but just the opposite. Where I grew up and used to live it was Purple Loosestrife. Gorgeous flowering plant but oh so destructive.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooo.... Jewel weed is an "antidote" to poison ivy! Good stuff!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alex T|1473279348|4074128 said:
kenny|1473269627|4074107 said:

Sounds like heaven.

Of course you can! But I get the Octavia in rental :Up_to_something:

Hmm, I'm gonna have to think about that. :D

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alex T|1473279841|4074132 said:
I am in Cheshire in the UK.

Is there a cat there, and does it really grin like that?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1473280702|4074137 said:
Alex T|1473279841|4074132 said:
I am in Cheshire in the UK.

Is there a cat there, and does it really grin like that?

Haha! Actually, Lewis Carroll was born in my village & his father was the vicar of the church here, Daresbury. Lewis based a lot of his stories on places & people here, so for example, there is a smiling cat carved into the stone amongst other things on the church, hence the Cheshire Cat was born. His home was 2 farms away from my house, the old well is still there etc, and now we have The Lewis Carroll Trust & also Centre, who have been brilliant in raising funds to preserve the house grounds & foundations. But other than that, the only grinning kitties around here are my own. Here they are "helping" me to wash up. They "help" me a lot. Even when I go to the bathroom!

img_20160406_212517850_hdr.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alex,

Both your cats are gorgeous, but your black cat has the same markings as a cat I had for almost 20 years! Even the same areas in front of the ears with less fur. However, my black cat was much larger; all muscle, though, he wasn't overweight.

Are your cats both female? They look like lovely ladies to me, but I hope I haven't just offended one or both if they're gentlemen! :angel:

Thanks for sharing the photo of your beautiful cats, the wonderful flashback to my dear lad, and the interesting information about Lewis Carroll. Oh, and those flowers are lovely!

:))

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
AlexT - love your "Cheshire" cats. They are beauties!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love: :D

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! They are both female. The black is called Poppy & she was in an abandoned litter on a neighbouring farm. The other is Sparky & she's a Lilac Point Birman. She was born 2 days before the blacks were found, to a friends Pedigree Birman, so we collected them on the same day & they've been inseparable since :love: They are 2 an a couple of weeks, but are still quite small. Sparky likes food more than Poppy, as you can see :lol:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alex T|1473322015|4074299 said:
Thank you! They are both female. The black is called Poppy & she was in an abandoned litter on a neighbouring farm. The other is Sparky & she's a Lilac Point Birman. She was born 2 days before the blacks were found, to a friends Pedigree Birman, so we collected them on the same day & they've been inseparable since :love: They are 2 an a couple of weeks, but are still quite small. Sparky likes food more than Poppy, as you can see :lol:
A Birman lover here and I recognized the black points with the white paw tips right away. :)) They are a very inquisitive breed, aren't they?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1473340425|4074337 said:
Alex T|1473322015|4074299 said:
A Birman lover here and I recognized the black points with the white paw tips right away. :)) They are a very inquisitive breed, aren't they?

Thanks Chrono. The kitties are both very loving, the Birman less so, but she is super inquisitive. She likes to know EXACTLY where I am in the house, especially if she's just come inside (they have a cat flap & please themselves). She will meow at the bottom of the stairs area until I shout to her, then come & have a little cuddle, but then she's off. The black little scrawn bag however, is extremely loving & loves cuddles, nudging whatever you are doing out of the way until she has the full attention of one of your hands. It's not possible to read if Poppy is on your knee. Those hands need to be working on her constantly! She's hysterical!

Sparky's dark patches are a beautiful sable colour, most true to the colour of her legs in this pic. She has the most stunning sky blue eyes - everyone who sees her is a little stunned by how pretty she is! I think I have a picture somewhere on my phone from when they were both tiny, and you can see her eyes. Will see if I can find it...

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are Sparky's beautiful blue peepers.... Both on my knee at once. How teeny they were!!

img_20141107_215916358.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results