shape
carat
color
clarity

G vs H in large diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jkchan

Rough_Rock
I''ve learned so much from this website and the knowledgeable posters - I have a question regarding the color difference between a G and H colored diamonds that are 5+ carats. I''ve heard that colors are more noticeable in larger stones. Also, does a white gold or platinum mounting make a diamond look whiter than a yellow gold one?

Thanks for your expertise.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2006 1:28:28 AM
Author:jkchan
I've learned so much from this website and the knowledgeable posters - I have a question regarding the color difference between a G and H colored diamonds that are 5+ carats. I've heard that colors are more noticeable in larger stones. Also, does a white gold or platinum mounting make a diamond look whiter than a yellow gold one?

Is the diamond a round diamond or a fancy, is it well-cut or not? These questions are very important. How color sensitive are you, do you mind a touch of warmth?

Personally, I think a G or an H in even a very large stone would be fine if it's a well-proportioned round stone. If it's well-cut it should face up white and distract any possible color with lots of sparkle. There are many here who have 2+ carat J stones and very happy with them.

If however, it's a radiant or other fancy shape, you are going to see some warmth and this may or may not be fine with you. I don't really mind the warmth, but others disagree. Fancy shapes seem to show quite a bit more color than well-cut rounds.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/14/2006 1:28:28 AM
Author:jkchan
I''ve learned so much from this website and the knowledgeable posters - I have a question regarding the color difference between a G and H colored diamonds that are 5+ carats. I''ve heard that colors are more noticeable in larger stones. Also, does a white gold or platinum mounting make a diamond look whiter than a yellow gold one?

Yes - the bigger the stone the more obvious a grade difference is and the more impact it has on price because you need not be an expert to tell the diiferrence.

My rule of thumb is D-H below 1ct
Above 2ct i do not like to stock H
Above 3ct F is my preference unless it is a very well cut round.

Fancy shapes in general I would be very strict or even a grade stricter

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
In 5 carats, I would want to stay colorless.That is just too much diamond for me to see any tinge in.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2006 7:47:25 AM
Author: jazmine
In 5 carats, I would want to stay colorless.That is just too much diamond for me to see any tinge in.
Ditto.

jkchan

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the replies - I was a little leery of an H in a 5 ct. oval, but you all have reaffirmed my concerns. I currently have a G color, 3 ct. oval that I''m very happy with face up, however, there are tinges of color in certain lighting from side views. I''ll be patient and wait til a great F or better comes along.

Thanks again.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2006 12:18:56 PM
Author: jkchan
Thanks for all the replies - I was a little leery of an H in a 5 ct. oval, but you all have reaffirmed my concerns. I currently have a G color, 3 ct. oval that I''m very happy with face up, however, there are tinges of color in certain lighting from side views. I''ll be patient and wait til a great F or better comes along.

Thanks again.
Oh wait, it''s an oval? Definetly colorless for me.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
oval is one of the best cuts to show more color

This example from Serg and Yuri''s presentations at GIA Symposium using DiamCqalc and Helium Rough to plan the cutting and color enhancment also would apply to less colored diamonds - note the round is the least colored -and the oval is one of the most saturated.

color allocation diff shapes.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results