shape
carat
color
clarity

G SI1 or H VS2?

G SI1 or H VS2 quality in a 2 carat round brilliant?

• G SI1

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
In a round diamond, around 2 carats in size, would you rather have a G SI1 or an H VS2 color & cliarity assuming that cut quality was the same?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would take the H. But things are never that simple.
11.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
with SUPERIOR cut quality, i would take the ''g''. inclusions are easily hidden in the sparkle of a well cut stone but any hint of perceived color will be throughout. (not that the color would even be that discernable) but...that is where my chips lay.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I''d take the G as well....if all else were truly the same.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I personally would get the G.
9.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/16/2007 12:28:56 PM
Author:vespergirl
In a round diamond, around 2 carats in size, would you rather have a G SI1 or an H VS2 color & cliarity assuming that cut quality was the same?
It''s never that simple. A few thoughts...
What are the proportions of each diamond?
What is the relationship between the crown and pavilion angle measurements?
What are the high and low ranges for the crown and pavilion angle measurements? (the measurements stated on the lab reports are the average of eight parts).
What are the clarity characteristics?
What is the location and extent of each clarity characteristic?
Is their fluorescence?
If so, to what degree and what is the color of fluorescence?
Is the fluorescence having any impact on the visual performance of the diamond?
And if so, is the effect positive or negative?
What is the polish and symmetry rating for each diamond?

If the SI-1 clarity grade was due to a few small diamond crystals within the table facet and perhaps a small feather located off to the edge of the stone and I couldn''t see the inclusions from a top down perspective without a loupe and it was cut like a dream and the fluorescence was in the range of negligible to medium blue, etc. I would definitely take it over an H, VS-2 cut to the same proportions because I see color in diamonds fairly well [because I look for it all day]
2.gif
but if the SI-1 was cut like a dog and the clarity grade was due to [what people like me might consider to be] a substantial feather or a series of feathers located in close proximity to each other [potential durability issues] or an inclusion type that is less desireable such as a knot, twinning wisp, cavity, etc. then I''d definitely go for the H, VS-2.

Assuming that you posed the question for some guidance as to what to search for, I''d recommend searching the G/H, VS-2 to SI-1 range and selecting a diamond from the group of results based upon the overall characteristics of each diamond after reading the tutorials here on PS and other sites so that you have a thorough understanding of the various factors that dictate the visual performance and value of a diamond. The visual distinction between a G and H color diamond when viewed in a setting under normal lighting conditions is slight enough that most lay people would be significantly challenged to consistently detect a difference without a great deal of coaching. Assuming that both diamonds are "eye clean" there should be very little difference between the diamonds in terms of the face up value of the inclusions until a 10x or higher magnification loupe is introduced to the equation. It really comes down to the individual characteristics of each stone.

PaperStars

Rough_Rock
I would want the H VS2

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Assuming that the G/SI is eye clean, I would take that one. At 2 carats I think color differences start to matter more and why pay for inclusions you can''t see anyways.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I voted for the G, but it would have to be super eye clean
10.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would all depend on the nature of the inclusions. I set my minimum color at H and minimum clarity at VS2. So I didn''t even look at SI stones. Too difficult when you aren''t looking at them in person. But I imagine that there could be SI1''s I''d be very happy with, but I need to see them with my eyes and a loupe to be sure.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2007 8:07:00 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
It would all depend on the nature of the inclusions. I set my minimum color at H and minimum clarity at VS2. So I didn''t even look at SI stones. Too difficult when you aren''t looking at them in person. But I imagine that there could be SI1''s I''d be very happy with, but I need to see them with my eyes and a loupe to be sure.
And from the pro-SI2 perspective, for balance.......

I don''t think it''s too difficult to consider SI2s when you aren''t looking at them in person AS LONG AS you have two things: an expert set of eyes that you trust (a trusted vendor), and a great return policy if you aren''t happy.

I''ve bought all five of my SI2 stones without seeing them myself first, but that doesn''t mean they were sight-unseen. I trusted my vendors to be my "sight", and I relied on their expertise and honesty as to eyecleanliness.
You CAN see them with your eyes -- once they arrive to you. And if you aren''t happy, you can return them. I don''t consider that sight unseen myself.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I am fairly colour sensitive so I voted the G in saying that though the inclusions would have to not be visible to the naked eye :)

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
All other things equal, and SI1 being eye clean, the G SI1.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/17/2007 10:05:31 AM
Author: aljdewey

Date: 10/16/2007 8:07:00 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
And from the pro-SI2 perspective, for balance.......

I don''t think it''s too difficult to consider SI2s when you aren''t looking at them in person AS LONG AS you have two things: an expert set of eyes that you trust (a trusted vendor), and a great return policy if you aren''t happy.

I''ve bought all five of my SI2 stones without seeing them myself first, but that doesn''t mean they were sight-unseen. I trusted my vendors to be my ''sight'', and I relied on their expertise and honesty as to eyecleanliness.
You CAN see them with your eyes -- once they arrive to you. And if you aren''t happy, you can return them. I don''t consider that sight unseen myself.
I agree. I just wouldn''t order an SI from one of the drop shippers. And you do need to specifically ask about the appearance of the inclusions from the side as well as the top.

sera

Ideal_Rock
I would take the G/SI1 if it was eyeclean.

The diamond I chose for my e-ring, which I have yet to see, is and SI2 and was purchased from GOG- although I have not seen it, I trust Jon''s word (and expert eyes) that it is eyeclean. If I can''t see it (and there are no structural issues), I don''t care what clarity grade it has. The color I do care about since that is what I see. I suppose if money were no object, I would go with the highest color and clarity I could.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results