shape
carat
color
clarity

Funny grandma story.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

My parents attended a wedding over Memorial Day and my grandmother who had not attended corners my mom and a couple of her friends and tells them to start spilling details.

So they start with: “Well the bride was wearing…”

Grandma cuts them off: “I don’t care about that.”

They try again: “The food was…”

Grandma cuts them off again.

So they start a third time with “The Hotel was…”

“No, get to the important things!” Grandma says irritably.

Finally exasperated I ask, “Why do you consider important Grandma if not the dress, the food or the hotel?”

Grandma looks at us like we’re all, well… idiots. “The JEWELRY!”

Now I come by my obsession honestly, grandma is a bling hog. It’s traditional for Persian brides to receive jewelry as wedding gifts and typically the jewelry is draped on the bride or opened for everyone to see at the ceremony.

My mom and her coven look around at each other and finally one of them says, “We did see any of it, it was all in closed boxes.”

“Well you should have OPENED THE BOXES,” says grandma, the ‘you’re all morons’ look intensifying. (Need to watch her carefully at future weddings).

Flabbergasted, my mother says, “If the bride and her family didn’t open the boxes we certainly couldn’t.”

“Of course you could have!” Grandma was grumbling for the next 10 minutes about it, and then seemed to find peace by stating that “Clearly it was all junk and not worth showing off, that’s why they kept it hidden!”

No one said anything. What was there to say? Gotta love Grandma.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Yay for your granny! I like people who speak their minds.

I intend to be super-obnoxious, interferring and bloody minded when I hit 80...
27.gif

SO, is she getting you some nice bling for your wedding???
9.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
That made me chuckle! I can just imagine her face when she wasn''t getting the info she wanted! Why do grandmothers always expect you to read their minds?

My grandma was always very badly behaved. We were all a little scared of her. She would do this shuffle thing with her feet if she was displeased. Then she would half turn away from you and ignore you till you went away.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pandora, well. Since you mentioned bloody minded... yes, apparently she IS going to get me jewelry. Even though (dont kick me off the board, I have good reasons) I don't want any, and have mentioned it. A few times.

Actually that day she mentioned that I have to show off the jewelry she's getting me. I groaned internally. Not to sound ungrateful, but I REALLY DO NOT WANY JEWELRY. Oh well. A gift is a gift.

Maisie grandmas have quiet wyas of making their displeasure known don't they. And quite bluntly too! Your grandma sounds like one to be wary of!

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
my grandmother rammed someone with a buggy once at the grocery store because they were in her way...she''s such a joy.
3.gif
gypsy, your grandmother sounds awesome, haha! i bet she has quite an impressive collection.
1.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2008 6:38:18 PM
Author: doodle
my grandmother rammed someone with a buggy once at the grocery store because they were in her way...she's such a joy.
3.gif
gypsy, your grandmother sounds awesome, haha! i bet she has quite an impressive collection.
1.gif
My grandma is actually quite funny. SHe has a good sense of humor when she get going. And she definitely knows her mind.

She does have a nice collection. We have very different tastes in jewelry though. She has a turqouise pear set in a ballerina style setting with baguettes that I love though. She's very secretive about it all, in a safe, hidden. I wanted to wear the turqouise pendant for my wedding but changed my colors AND my dress and it won't work, so I asked her if I could dig through her collection to see if any of her pieces would work and she was like, "No, none of them will work for you... you'll have to get something new." I was like ummm... okay, but I didn't even tell you what I was looking for!!!

The main reasons I don't want jewelry are:
1. It's not a 'couple' present. It's a gift for me. And I want gifts for us, as the day celebrates us. (This is 95% the reason)
2. I'm a diamond snot now, and my family buys a lot of jewelry abroad. Not so nice diamonds. Nice colored stones though... but they are set or paired with ick diamonds usually.
3. Most of my family and I have very different tastes in jewelry and I'd prefer ONE really nice item they pool their funds for, rather than several less expensive items... but that doesn't look as impressive in front of guests, so they are unlikely to do it.
4. Can't return wedding jewelry if I don't care for it.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
hahahaha!

didn''t see that coming!
5.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I want to hang out with Gypsy's grandma!!! (I love blunt and honest older people. I'm so going to be like that. I hope I turn prematurely gray so I can get away with it earlier.)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jcrow... yeah, neither did I! I was chuckling most of the night.

Freke, yeah, grandma''s got her flaws but she''s a lovely lady overall. She does say things sometimes that are a BIT well,... shocking though. Make your jaw drop. Keeps the blood flowing I suppose.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol. My kind of lady!!!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Ahahahaha, that is tooooo funny!! I love feisty women.

My Mom/Brides Gramma is the total opposite. You should have seen the drama surrounding us buying her some shoes for the wedding. She kept insisting that she was a size 8, even though the flats she was trying on at the time fit her perfect and were listed as 7 1/2. She has to say really loud, over and over in DSW "But I ALWAYS wear an 8!!", and I was like "Yeah, Mom, that''s because you only have one pair of shoes and you wear them everyday." We all starting busting up laughing...even her....

Grandmothers ROCK!!!!

So Gypsy, are you going to open all your presents at the ceremony?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL, your grandma sounds adorable!!! Smart lady!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2008 10:21:12 PM
Author: miraclesrule

My Mom/Brides Gramma is the total opposite. You should have seen the drama surrounding us buying her some shoes for the wedding. She kept insisting that she was a size 8, even though the flats she was trying on at the time fit her perfect and were listed as 7 1/2. She has to say really loud, over and over in DSW 'But I ALWAYS wear an 8!!', and I was like 'Yeah, Mom, that's because you only have one pair of shoes and you wear them everyday.' We all starting busting up laughing...even her....

Grandmothers ROCK!!!!

LOL, doesn't buy shoes much I guess? Most women are thrilled to be buying a smaller shoe size! My grandma loves shoes too, has a nice collection of those too, come to think of it.

No, I'm not going to open all the jewelry I get. Grandma is. She did it at my uncle's wedding a few years ago. Everyone handed lovely little boxes to the bride and grandma started popping them open and draping them on her hand, telling everyone what it was, showing the crowd... then finally draping them on the bride. I'm sure she's gonna knock over my groom to get to any jewelry that's handed up to me and crack those boxes open like a cracker jack box.
23.gif

Skippy yeah, she drives me batty, but I love my grandma. All the women in my family are rather um... unique personalities.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2008 10:51:18 PM
Author: Gypsy

My Mom/Brides Gramma is the total opposite. You should have seen the drama surrounding us buying her some shoes for the wedding. She kept insisting that she was a size 8, even though the flats she was trying on at the time fit her perfect and were listed as 7 1/2. She has to say really loud, over and over in DSW ''But I ALWAYS wear an 8!!'', and I was like ''Yeah, Mom, that''s because you only have one pair of shoes and you wear them everyday.'' We all starting busting up laughing...even her....

Grandmothers ROCK!!!!

LOL, doesn''t buy shoes much I guess? Most women are thrilled to be buying a smaller shoe size! My grandma loves shoes too, has a nice collection of those too, come to think of it.

No, I''m not going to open all the jewelry I get. Grandma is. She did it at my uncle''s wedding a few years ago. Everyone handed lovely little boxes to the bride and grandma started popping them open and draping them on her hand, telling everyone what it was, showing the crowd... then finally draping them on the bride. I''m sure she''s gonna knock over my groom to get to any jewelry that''s handed up to me and crack those boxes open like a cracker jack box.
23.gif

Skippy yeah, she drives me batty, but I love my grandma. All the women in my family are rather um... unique personalities.

OMG the story above and the image of this at your wedding...I just started giggling uncontrollably picturing it
9.gif
(The cat sitting on my lap was not amused - I got a really good glare from the ground after she jumped down in a huff
3.gif
). Seriously though, she sounds like quite a character. Thanks for the laugh.
10.gif

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
OMG, what a great visual....Gyspy getting run over by her Gramma...
Gives the song "Gramma Got Run Over By a Reindeer" a whole new meaning....

I don''t know if I can help myself at my daughter''s wedding now....

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Oh, not to change the subject...but....
2.gif

When''s your last day?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Happy to make you guys laugh. I only wish I was joking. That''s exactly what''s going to happen. (Amber, my kitties to that too!). I wonder what the photographs will show?
18.gif

Miracles, THURSDAY
9.gif
16.gif
9.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Haha oh my God. "Get to the important stuff!!" Haha. Thank you for sharing, it made me laugh. Reminds me of a certain Grandma I know in FI''s family, haha. She is very sweet, but very firey and cuts people off if she isn''t interested in that specific piece of information. Or for example if you''re talking about something you want to do and she disagrees she just tells you "No, you''re not going to do that." My Grandmother is, however, the southern version and instead says "No, you don''t want to do that."

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I love your grandma already: no beating around the bush for her! Get to the bottom line; you''re wasting my time!
30.gif
What a great couple, your grandma and grandpa make!

In my family, there was no jewellery to speak of - just the usual e-ring and w-ring for my mom. ...however, when she turned 80, she wanted her ears pierced????? I asked the usual "why now?" and her reply was, " I want diamond studs like yours. Do you think it would be a good idea? (rhetorcal question)"

She had those lobes pierced, and my dad bought her matching diamond earrings and a pendant which she wore only on special occasions. She tried to persuade my aunt to do the same, but it was a no- go for her.

When she died at almost 94, I deemed it a "special occasion" and gave the undertakerer her set so that she''d feel very special (if she''d been there) for the "visitation".
9.gif
. The pieces remain in my home safe along with her rings and vintage diamond watch.
36.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
35.gif

Date: 6/9/2008 10:51:18 PM
Author: Gypsy

My Mom/Brides Gramma is the total opposite. You should have seen the drama surrounding us buying her some shoes for the wedding. She kept insisting that she was a size 8, even though the flats she was trying on at the time fit her perfect and were listed as 7 1/2. She has to say really loud, over and over in DSW ''But I ALWAYS wear an 8!!'', and I was like ''Yeah, Mom, that''s because you only have one pair of shoes and you wear them everyday.'' We all starting busting up laughing...even her....

Grandmothers ROCK!!!!

LOL, doesn''t buy shoes much I guess? Most women are thrilled to be buying a smaller shoe size! My grandma loves shoes too, has a nice collection of those too, come to think of it.

No, I''m not going to open all the jewelry I get. Grandma is. She did it at my uncle''s wedding a few years ago. Everyone handed lovely little boxes to the bride and grandma started popping them open and draping them on her hand, telling everyone what it was, showing the crowd... then finally draping them on the bride. I''m sure she''s gonna knock over my groom to get to any jewelry that''s handed up to me and crack those boxes open like a cracker jack box.
23.gif

"Unique", but strong!! Nobody''s going to steamroll them!
36.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sarah, I have to say my grandmother is not Southern. And in that respect I wish she was. She gets my back up with the way she demands things occassionally.
20.gif

Isaku, yes she doesn''t beat around the bush, and I love her. You know where you stand with her, that''s true. Her only real flaw is that she and Logic and Reality have never met, shaken hands, or gotten to know one another.

I LOVE that story about your mom getting her ears pierced, and then you having her wear them for the ''visitation''. What a lovely story. Such special pieces to be sure.

Yes, unique. And strong. LOL. The personalities clash as a result, but the love is always there. It works.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results