shape
carat
color
clarity

Frustrated In NY, need a poll...

To see the Ring or not to see the ring....

• Taunt her with pictures and pester her constantly

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Don''t let her see it, are you nuts?!

• Let her peek at it, but keep the air of mystery in tact.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Quick history: My BF and I went shopping together and did all the research for our e-ring together. We equally searched and obsessed over the cut, color, clarity and size...We finally found the stone TOGETHER and we decided that I will custom make the band around it, but for now just set it in a simple $60 white gold showcae of a band. Fine.

Quick Run-down: He has this ring in his possession and won''t let me see it. I have seen the stone, but an dying to see how the stone set, as I wanted a square stone, and it''s a bit longer, so here''s the problem, I want to see it and he says no way!

Poll Question: Would you keep the ring a surprise until the proposal or if you shopped together to find it for 2 months+ would you at least be nice enough to let the girl see it, and then keep the time and circumstance of the proposal a mystery...?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I voted taunt her with pictures since this is probably what my better half would do. Plus a picture shows what you want to see.

Anyway I don't know that I'd let her see it.

We chose our ring together, had it custom made, bought the stone together etc. He picked it up and then proposed. He did not let me see it. That would have ruined it IMO. So I don't think you should see it. You already know what it is going to look like. You should save the BIG SURPRISE and culmination of viewing for when it actually happens.

Actually I take back 'taunt her with pictures'...I vote for the 'are you nuts, no way'.
2.gif
Be patient gal!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Mara, that's considering he's a good cameraman... It's not quite fair to tease someone...there are Karmic rules out there...Either way, it's just a quick peek, nothing significant...Just a little peek...

For the madness we went through for that stone, it's not right that I keep waiting and waiting and waiting, and get taunted with bad pictures to boot!

By the way, anyone know of a good platinumsmith in NYC? I think I know exactly what I want in a band, but am wondering how possible it is to create. Basically a similar x-prong type band, but without the side bars leading up to the stone from the band (airplanes, so I heard them called), and no basket. Sort of like the ring posted by Blue Devil in Page 4 of the Eye Candy Folder... But with 4 prongs instead of three... and more flattened than round and a little more delicate looking...? Anyone know what I'm talking about? Anyone?

three prong 2.jpg

goldenringlets

Shiny_Rock
No no no, you really don't want to see it. You're getting the best of both worlds - you got to help pick out your ring AND you get the "traditional" surprise. Wait and see when he gives it to you. I was in a similar situation, and although I tried on the ring eyes-closed, I really didn't want to see it, and I'm glad I didn't!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 2/17/2004 5:03:15 PM Nicrez wrote:

Either way, it's just a quick peek, nothing significant...Just a little peek...
----------------

The problem is that just a little peek means it's not as much of a surprise later.

Would you want the shoe on the other foot? Would you want to give him "just a little peek" of you in your wedding dress two months before the wedding, or would you rather let the anticipation build and see his face on your wedding day when he sees you FOR THE FIRST TIME in your dress?

I know it's tough, but some things are worth the wait. Gee, when our ring came in, I wouldn't look at it before FI had a chance to see it. I picked it out online, but it was his gift to me, and I felt he should see it first.

No peeking allowed!
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree..a peek IS significant, because it will be SEARED into your brain. Wait and be surprised.
1.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
That beautiful setting is by Mark Morrell. That's definitely who I'd have make my ring, if I had one to make. He's not in NYC, though. But Leon Mege is, I think--someone here had him make her a setting, and it came out beautiful.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Life isn't full of many surprises and anticipation is 80% of the fun...Wait it out and savor this time in your life!

1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 2/17/2004 5:03:15 PM Nicrez wrote:

Sort of like the ring posted by Blue Devil in Page 4 of the Eye Candy Folder... But with 4 prongs instead of three [...] Anyone know what I'm talking about?
----------------

The idea seems new to science, anything like the (clumsy) pic below?
The one "lucida-style" without the famed "bar" I know of is the "U Prong" setting at Whiteflash...

34a.JPG

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Clumsy??
confused.gif
Looks nice. Not quite what Nic said she wants. Maybe a little too high setting on the diamond, if I read her description correctly, but the general idea is there.
1.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
What color Ferrari do you think he bought?

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Knowing him it would be a red one, and he'd take bad pictures of that too!

Valeria, yes, that SIMILAR to what I like was it from Whiteflash? The prongs and band would be thinner and more delicate looking, and the setting of the stone would be as low as possible without sacrificing the integirty of the setting.

(I'm an active gal who wears sweaters...not conducive to e-rings, I am afraid!)

Leon Mege, anyone ever use him? Is he good? Is he pricey? Does he have different platinum mixtures?

By the way, my best friend just go engaged this past weekend (12:01 on Feb 15th!) and she is making this whole ring thing worse for me. I am SO happy for her, but now I want mine too!!!
cry.gif
Sorry, had to vent for a bit.

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
I agree with "no peaking". The surprise will be greatly diminished...not to mention it wouldn't just be a peak. A girl might say she just wants a peak, but a typical girl will start whining when she gets that peak that she wants another one... then she'll want to try it on "to make sure it fits".

In those moments of impatient, the surprise that will be ingrained in your head forever, will be diminished.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Ok, can someone come to my defense here...anyone?

*crickets chriping*

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry sweetie...you gotta sit tight.
2.gif

How much you wanna bet your sweetie is giggling in his cocoa puffs right now because you posted this poll and everyone pretty much agreed with him?! That's what happens when both SO's are on the same forum!!
rolleyes.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I already heard it. I was hoping things would sway my way, but if like a politician I can beg, plead, pay or cajole, I WILL DIE TRYING!
2.gif

The worst thing is that I am reading some diamond books, and it's just unbearable! I just want to see it for...scientific reasearch...yeah...
9.gif
11.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thats okay, just make him sleep on the couch a few nights in a row and he'll be proposing in no time to get back into the bed!
tongue.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
oooooohhh....good one! Our couch is a nice full leather couch and it's comfy, but he's also 6'2" so it's just not as comfy...*Evil laugh*
11.gif
9.gif

Sad part is, I would probably cave in one night. I am totally spoiled and can't sleep without him anymore!
cry.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results