shape
carat
color
clarity

Front Loading Washer/Dryers - pros/cons?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
Anyone have any ideas on this? I don''t want to spend $500 extra dollars on a front loding washer unless it REALLY makes a BIG difference (ie, comes with a hot guy that actually folds the laundry...)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow why are you spending an EXTRA $500 on a front loading washer?

we got our whole washer for $600 and our dryer for $500 and they are kenmore and have been FAB for going on three years now. they are both front loading, supersized kind of dealios where it can fit like 15 towels or whatever.

i know they have models out there that are like $1k each but i was like well it''s a WASHER and DRYER. hehee. we have been really happy with these. we figured we''d leave them behind when we move..so we didn''t want to get all crazy with the spending.

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
Mara, do you know the style name/number?

It really KILLS me to spend any money at all on something that is just going to create more work for me!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got the Maytag Netpune washer and dryer and got the top load washer. Someone now tells me their Maytag Neptune Front load is GREAT but I was told that water can collect in the seals on the front load, leading to mildew and it is tough to clean and it smells gross. I would do a bit of research on Consumer Reports just to get my ducks in a row. I love my machines, everything is touch pad and it stores special cycles and you can type in the type of stain on the item and it does special things to clean that type of stain...but I stayed away from a front loader...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
When we were looking at appliances we didn''t go for a front loading washer because well... we frequently add things to a load in progress, and it just wouldn''t work with a front loading. Plus FI likes to let the water get half way up and agitate with the detergent (I sort, he washes and dries, we fold together)-- especially when we use oxy or bleach-- before putting the clothes in... so that''s out with a front loading as well. But the prices weren''t that different between the top loading one we got (without the thingy in the middle). we bought from Sears too, though.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2006 10:55:42 PM
Author: Gypsy
When we were looking at appliances we didn''t go for a front loading washer because well... we frequently add things to a load in progress, and it just wouldn''t work with a front loading. Plus FI likes to let the water get half way up and agitate with the detergent (I sort, he washes and dries, we fold together)-- especially when we use oxy or bleach-- before putting the clothes in... so that''s out with a front loading as well. But the prices weren''t that different between the top loading one we got (without the thingy in the middle). we bought from Sears too, though.

The agitator? My washer does not have one either come to think of it!

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
I just bought a new normal old top-loading set, and the guy told me that it would be really pointless to spend so much extra for a family of 3 for the front load models. Apparently, if you have a large family, it''s great because you can fit so much more in...and they are supposed to be a little easier on wear on clothes as well. Not worth it for our small family, even though we still seem to generate a huge amount of laundry!

I''m using a lot less detergent with the new washer (Whirlpool Super Capacity) because it agitates a lot better and makes a lot more suds!

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/14/2006 10:38:33 PM
Author: Mara
wow why are you spending an EXTRA $500 on a front loading washer?

we got our whole washer for $600 and our dryer for $500 and they are kenmore and have been FAB for going on three years now. they are both front loading, supersized kind of dealios where it can fit like 15 towels or whatever.

i know they have models out there that are like $1k each but i was like well it''s a WASHER and DRYER. hehee. we have been really happy with these. we figured we''d leave them behind when we move..so we didn''t want to get all crazy with the spending.
I have the kenmore set as well. We got ours for about 800 each. The prices may have went up since Mara got her set. Mine is 2 years old. Although there are different front loaders by Kenmore. I got one that has a bedding and kids cycle on it so it was a bit more expensive. I do use the bulky bedding but not the kids
20.gif

I think they are so worth the money. I didn''t want to spend it...my husband was putting his foot down about it and he won LOL. I''m so glad he did though. I love my washer and dryer. I wouldn''t go back to the top loaders. I research everything online with consumer reports as well and Kenmore was rated highest in front loaders so I highly recommend them. We looked at the Maytag and Whirlpool but you can''t beat the prices Kenmore offers.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
there was a very long thread on this topic a few months ago in the family/home forum.

movie zombie

ps i love mine. details in the other thread.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i just looked on sears and they have kenmore front loaders from $599 to like $1500...a big range! ours was like $600 and $500 on sale at sears...we got a rebate too i think.

we got like the 3rd up price wise, front loading model but it had everything we needed...digital buttons etc...before that i had a total old school basic top loading washer so this was a total upgrade for us.

i LOVE LOVE LOVE the front loading washer...i hated that agitator thing, my clothes would always wrap around it and get stuck, and i hated finding detergent stuck in them too...the only downer is that i can''t put clothes in after the fact, but if i have JUST started the cycle, i can stop it and open it and it''s fine. and washing large blankets and stuff is a cinch!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2006 11:04:02 PM
Author: diamondfan

Nice isn''t it?

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I love my new front loading washer and drier. I used to have the regular top loading Kenmore that you can throw stuff in once the cycle started and I wasn''t sure how much I''d miss that. But my new LG brand machines are wonderful. I actually enjoy doing laundry. The washer has a lot of settings and I have found a few favorites. The washer spins so well that my drying time is significantly reduced. I can do a wash load in 30 minutes and a dry load in 30 minutes. So it makes it very effecient...one trip to the garage.

I don''t mind at all not being able to add things because the cycle is shorter and very little water is used. You actually can stop the cycle and add more stuff if it''s within first few minutes before the water level gets too high. I wash for a family of 4. I do a lot of small loads because I separate colors and textures. I find it to be less harsh on the fabrics, too.

Mine is LG from Best Buy. They make several models, mine is in the middle. We got a $100 rebate from out water company, too.

Gee, I ought to sell these things. Lucky for me we have a family member who works at Best Buy and we got a nice discount.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/15/2006 12:07:52 AM
Author: Mara
i just looked on sears and they have kenmore front loaders from $599 to like $1500...a big range! ours was like $600 and $500 on sale at sears...we got a rebate too i think.

we got like the 3rd up price wise, front loading model but it had everything we needed...digital buttons etc...before that i had a total old school basic top loading washer so this was a total upgrade for us.

i LOVE LOVE LOVE the front loading washer...i hated that agitator thing, my clothes would always wrap around it and get stuck, and i hated finding detergent stuck in them too...the only downer is that i can''t put clothes in after the fact, but if i have JUST started the cycle, i can stop it and open it and it''s fine. and washing large blankets and stuff is a cinch!!
Oh you just reminded what I hated the most about my top loader...that used to piss me off when I''d have to untangle everything from that agitator
29.gif

I also agree about washing blankets/bedding...it''s awesome! I can wash the king comforter no problem and still have plenty of room to spare
9.gif

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
hmmm u know i have never really understood the difference between a top load and a front load washer/dryer...i have one of each
9.gif
(a top load washer and a front load dryer)

is the only differnce the agitator? Ive seen plenty of top loads without them as well??
33.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
my parents just got them and my mom LOVES it. It takes less water, cleans better, and is SO quiet. You can''t add something once the cycle starts which is a con I guess.

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Kenmore front loading washer and dryer. We bought them at the Sears Outlet and they were nearly perfect. One of the appliances had a scrape or a ding on the handle and a scrape about 2 inches worth towards the bottom of where the two came together so it didn''t matter to me. The price back then in 2001 was pricier at $850 for the dryer and $900 for the washer or something like that. This was also way back when they were new to the scene and hard to come by. DH insisted on full and extended warranty so that means once or twice a year they come out, give the appliances a once over, doublecheck everything and fix or tweak whatever and its nothing to me but my time. I love how it takes care of my large family, but my GF has 3 kids and a hubby and she is equally crazy over hers. We both do alot of towels, socks and jeans so it is a timesaver. With the shorter, more efficient cycles that use less detergent, less water and less energy, this is truly a great avenue for really anyone.

Cons? Well, if you or your guy is not handy, switching the doors of the two machines to accommodate your laundry space might be an issue. To make it more efficient with the space I have to work with, my hubby switched the doors so they open facing each other, which seriously makes taking the wash out of the washer to the dryer a breeze.
emthup.gif

Oh...I got the pedestals for the washer and dryer to be on top of, which is great so that you are not bending over so far to put in or take out laundry. They also hold my Tide HE, dryer sheets, etc., which includes my iron. Not everyone likes them, but with an accident I had several years back, my back is not good at bending way over and lifting so it was a necessity. My GF does not have them, but now wishes she did. Different strokes for different folks...
emhot.gif

My kids do pretty well with them. Biggest issue is teaching everyone and I do mean EVERYONE to use the right soap, the right quantity of soap and the right cycles. These machines are made high tech enough that if you follow the instructions, they cut your laundry worries by a landslide. I feel i can talk on this with some authority since I have 7 kids, a hubby and a dog here adding to the laundry daily. The older kids do their own laundry, but the kids from the 8th grader on down are not as on top of things so I either supervise alot and/or teach alot over and over. Its coming, but like anything else, it takes time and patience...a large part of it is desire though. My kids will wear all of their clothes and be in their last pair of boxers and socks before conceding to doing laundry!
emcrook.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2006 12:14:51 AM

Date: 6/14/2006 11:04:02 PM

Nice isn''t it?

it is great, more room inside, and less tangled messy stuff. mine also senses the load amount and fills the water accordingly, you cannot select the water level...very high tech. Some of those washer and dryers are so space age and tech fabulous they look like they could be used by NASA to get to the moon! I actually like playing with all those digital touch buttons. (I think I need to have my head examined but with three boys I have a lot of laundry!!

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
I love my front loading washer & dryer!
face23.gif

I got them on sale at sears $600.00 for washer & $500.00 for dryer ... they had a special "Free" delivery ... I also got a rebate from the company $100.00, and last but not least, my power company gave me a rebate as well $75.00 for washer, $40.00 for dryer!!!

I love it because, it really does use less water, it really does use less detergent & softner if you use it, the clothes don''t wear out as fast, they get cleaner with less time in the washer which means less electricity per load, and yes ... if I want to, I could stuff a king size fluffy comforter in it no problem! Also, it automatically senses if the water is too cold or too warm on certain settings, and will adjust accordingly, so I don''t have to waste to much hot water, which saves on the electricity bill.
9.gif

Our family sorts alot too, so I like the fact that I don''t feel guilty using it for smaller loads, knowing that it only uses what water it needs to, so were not wasting.

The washer actually spins things till they are almost dry! So, less time in the dryer!
9.gif

I also like the fact that it is sooo quiet, and I can "PAUSE" it to open the door and add more items. My machine when in Pause will tilt the drum so that the water goes to the back of the machine and then unlocks the door for additions.

I have the neptune series, middle of the road version. Love it!

I really love it that it is super easy for my teenage twins
12.gif
12.gif
to use, and of course ... Darling Hubby!
12.gif

Matter of fact ... I haven''t done anyones laundry now for over a year ... well, except my own! YIPPIE!!
30.gif

Well, have a wonderful day!
35.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have front loaders too. I love them but you can only add clothing while it''s filling up, after that the doors locked and unless you cancel and start over, there''s no way to squeeze in the sock you dropped taking the basket to the laundry room
3.gif
. The other con, when you do open it, the water that''s been filling drips out. Not a huge deal, but it does happen. The pros far outweigh the cons for me though.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
we ended up getting top loading ones because of this===
repair bills on the front loading ones are astronomical. my parents bought Bosch machines (top of the line German machines) and they clean very well. However, if anything is in your pockets when you put them through, it can jam the washing machine and become a several hundred dollar bill. My parents have had this problem, something like a button jammed up their machine and it cost $350 to fix. It was under warranty at the time but they had to go without any washer for over 2 weeks, which s*cked. An expensive repair can easily overshadow any energy savings on these machines.

We have a 5 year old son, and we are always going through his pockets, finding random things. I would watch out for one if you have kids and you want to use it long term... digital buttons and all of those doo dads are prone to breaking and are very difficult and expensive to repair once you get into digital stuff...(think American cars.)

We went for mid- end top loaders with rotary dials and stainless steel insides.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2006 2:18:10 AM
it is great, more room inside, and less tangled messy stuff. mine also senses the load amount and fills the water accordingly, you cannot select the water level...very high tech. Some of those washer and dryers are so space age and tech fabulous they look like they could be used by NASA to get to the moon! I actually like playing with all those digital touch buttons. (I think I need to have my head examined but with three boys I have a lot of laundry!!

Our is standard in terms of settings and such-- DF would LOVE to have a set like yours he''s all about high tech (but then what man isn''t) ... but on the rare occasions when I actually have to do the actual washing and drying of the laundry I am so happy to not have to deal with that agitator-- no tangles or streched out messes. And our dryer is fabulous... with four cats a dog lint and hair removal is a must... and our does a great job. (Actually I forgot we got a new dryer last month from... Lowes? Home Depot? The last one died. I think the animals hair killed it.)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, we bought a front loading washer and dryer last night. I bought the Kenmore HE3t washer and the HE4 dryer. It will be delivered this week. These machines are not cheap but we were looking for something that would be very energy efficient. I think the set that Mara is referring to has the smaller tub and it is definitely less expensive but I still have occasion to do big loads and for the extra $300 over the 15 years I hope to have the machines I think it will be worth it to have the ability to do 23 towels or a king size comforter. The machine automatically sets the water level and it does have a feature that lets you add additional clothes - for the first few minutes of the cycle. We have been told that the front loaders are more gentle to your clothes and because of the high rpm''s get more water out of them thus reducing drying time. My current dryer is 15+ years old and never seems to stop running!

I am excited to get them and will let you know what I think. We have been looking and talking and researching about doing this for awhile now. It''s hard to spend the money to replace something that you have that still works but we knew we were on borrowed time and wouldn''t spend any money to have repairs done to the old set. The washing machine button popped right off in my hand so it was like bingo! - time to take the plunge. Funny - same day the button broke off of my hairdryer - makes you feel jinxed!

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Well, there are front loading washers and HE front loading washers. There's a huge price difference. For those of you who bought an extra large capacity HE front loader for $600 you did good. Most of the ones I saw for that price didn't have very much capacity. Fine if it's just two people but we have a family of 5 and I needed SPACE. The cheaper ones only had about 3 cubic feet at most. Still, you can get an extra large capacity HE washer on sale right now for about $899.

I bought an LG Tromm high efficiency front loading washer and dryer last September. It was expensive but I also wanted all the bells and whistles like a sanitary, extra hot cycle and extra fast spin. It uses about 60% less water per load and I like that a lot so that's a pro. We have a small laundry room and I liked that I could stack the washer and dryer and use the old dryer space to install a cabinet for more storage room. One of the cons is that I have to buy the special HE detergent for it and it runs a little bit more that regular detergent and there aren't as many choices. I used to always buy Gain for my detergent but so far I haven't seen it offered in HE formula. Also, some folks on another board who have to use dye and fragrance free detergents for allergies are having a next to impossible time finding detergent for their HE machines. The washer spins super fast and it cuts drying time down tremendously. My LG set is so quiet compared to my old top loading set which was an Amana. What a piece of junk they were-- no more Amana appliances EVER. I had to have the dryer repaired twice in the first year and the washer was on it's last legs after only 6 years. My Amana fridge died after only 5 years, three months past the compressor warranty expired.
29.gif

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/15/2006 1:39:05 AM
Author: Tacori E-ring
my parents just got them and my mom LOVES it. It takes less water, cleans better, and is SO quiet. You can't add something once the cycle starts which is a con I guess.
What brand does your mom have? I can add clothes to my washer after the cycle starts agitating if I'm washing on cold or warm (or some hot loads if I get it before the washer has filled all the way up). My washer has a pause button for just that reason. It's a safety feature on my washer that you can't open the door on hot or extra hot water cycles. It is aggravating though for me to find that stray white sock tucked in my kids' sneaker and not be able to throw it in there if it's a hot water load. I don't use the hot water option too often just because I can't open it after it starts. Warm or cold water loads I can open the washer at any time by pushing the pause button.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve got to go to the store and get some of the HE detergents. I haven''t really looked at them closely but apparently Tide and Cheer both make them - course they are expensive laundry detergents!

My washer and dryer are in a laundry room off the kitchen so I am excited about the reduction in noise level. When I replaced my dishwasher, I was AMAZED at how quite it is - I barely know it is running!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh yes PC i forgot to say that our washer is an HE...it's great but it's harder to find the detergent at just any old store!!! sometimes we have to go to a few stores if we don't go to one that we know for sure has it.

i guess we did get a good deal after all as ours is at least a large capacity if not an XL (i think we have the 15-17 towels one?)...we had some time to shop around and wait for sales...so we were really happy with what the outcome was. we do alot of laundry as well between the two of us (amazingly) and it goes pretty quickly on a weekend. i swear folding it all and putting it away takes longer!

oh i also don't know if i said this before but sometimes your local gas and electric company offers rebates for HE stuff, so sometimes you can save another $100-200 after the sale, check that out too.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
MissGotRocks,

Do you have a BJ''s warehouse club in your area? They have a house brand of HE detergent that works great and runs about $9.00 for 300 oz. Compare that to Tide that runs about $15.00 for 300 oz in BJ''s. My BJ''s also sent me a booklet of coupons for their store brand items. There was a coupon for $2.50 off any Berkley and Jenson laundry detergent. That brought the cost down to $6.50-- tee hee!!

I just keep my eyes open for sales and stock up when I see them. Right now I''m running over in HE detergent that I got on sale at BJ''s and Target. My local Target was running a good sale on Tide so I also stocked up on it since I also had coupons from the Sunday paper.

Has anyone tried the Method brand super concentrated HE detergent they sell in Target? I was just wondering since it was also on sale. I had to resist the urge to stock up on it too, otherwise I''d be set for detergent for the next two years!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
you don''t have to use HE detergent. I''ve never used it with my Kenmore HE. just used a little less of the regular. they say to elimate the potential oversudsing is to use the same amound of fabric softener as detergent which elimates the suds. In 4 years I''ve only had it over suds 1 time. there''s a forum that even goes as far to say the HE detergent is marketing tool and not really any "better."

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I was told by the company I purchased the washer from that using the wrong detergent may cause problems with the seal , causing the washer to leak and voiding the warranty. Maybe its true and maybe it's not but I spent a fortune on that machine and I'm not willing to risk it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results