shape
carat
color
clarity

From Old to New-Need Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,
I have a ring of my grandmother''s that is very much not my style. But I would never sell it and want to turn it into something that is my style. To describe it will be challenging but basically, it''s gold. It has a cluster of diamonds on the top, creating a circle, with an outer ring of emeralds surrounding the cluster. Then, there are columns of diamonds going down the sides. I want to have the diamonds all taken apart and made into something. My taste is pretty simple so I thought maybe some hoop earrings w/diamonds going down them and a necklace with a small cluster of diamonds. But those are just initial thoughts.
Any thoughts? Any ideas? I am very open to suggestions.
Anyone have any ideas how much it would cost to remake items?

Thanks!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think your initial thoughts are great. How many stones in total?? How many diamonds, how many emeralds. Sounds like a really fun project!!!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Kaleigh, I''m really excited! Unfortunately, after going to the jewelers to order our wedding rings (YAY!), I left it w/my FI. So now I have to wait to get it from him to give an exact count. Also, all the diamonds are small but I think the ones on the sides are smaller than the ones on the top.
I think I''ll get it back from him Wed. and then I can be a bit more accurate.. maybe sooner if I''m too impatient!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
It would be nice if you could post photos, and we would be able to get a better idea of what you have to work with. Maybe you could have it made into something for your wedding day -- then you could have your old and new together.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with lumpkin. Can you post a photo?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Small eternity bands would be pretty as well.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Lumpkin and Tacori, I will try to take some pics, once I get it back. I''m not sure if they''ll come out though b/c when I tried taking pics of my e-ring, they were blurry or too far away.
But I''ll try!
KCoursolle, I like the eternity bands but don''t think I want a ring. I don''t see myself wearing another ring besides my e-ring.
Lumpkin, that would be very special to be able to wear it on my wedding day. That''s a great idea, thanks!
Thanks!

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
What about some earrings and 2 bangles, one diamond and one emerald.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi dixie...

What a fun project! I'll enjoy hearing what others come up with, idea-wise.

You didn't mention them, but I hope you're planning to incorporate the emeralds, too. They look very nice.

My first thought was an emerald band, with two diamond bands surrounding them...

Earrings are a good idea, but to me they are somehow less special and "heirloom-y" than a commemorative pendant or ring(s)...but that's just me.
5.gif

Have fun!
widget

ETA: A diamond cluster in an emerald halo pendant could be pretty, and more resemble the original piece from which it came. (Can you tell I'm a sentimental fool?
2.gif
)

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
dixie, i don''t know what sizes and how many stones of each, so it''s a very rough draft of a necklace with 2 different diamond sizes and i size emeralds.

DiaEmPendant3.jpg

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Had another idea...this is fun!

What about a sparkly hair comb?????? Buy a gorgeous comb and have the diamonds and emeralds sprinkled on the main part thingy???? And then use the yellow gold for some pretty every-day earrings??

You could then wear the comb for your wedding day and pass it down to others in the future :) And wear the gold knot earrings everyday and always have that with you!! I think THAT would be lovely!!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
OK, now we know the sizes and i will re-make the necklace.

Here is cropped dixie''s picture with comments:

Ok, here''s the pictures. No clue why the post is so gigantic.
To describe the ring, now that you see the pics:
16 diamonds on the top, circular part. 13 rows of diamonds on the sides coming to about 38 diamonds, some smaller than the others. 21 emeralds, which I don''t have any thoughts for but most likely, wouldn''t do anything w/the emeralds and diamonds together.

Ok ladies, what do you think?

Dixiecoll5.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2007 12:41:50 PM

Author: PricescopeOk ladies, what do you think?
What I think is that I''m SO GLAD you decided to join the fun, Irina! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your necklace idea!

OT: Irina...I am SERIOUSLY becoming one of your biggest fans! Your design ideas are always lovely, and SO creative! I''m wowed...

..sorry dixie...back to business!

widget

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the ideas and thank you PS fixing my photos! I can never figure out why I can''t get photos to work the way I want them to!!

Widget, I really want to make something that I''ll wear, not just will sit in a drawer for extra special occasions, that''s partly why I thought earrings and necklace. Since I already have the e-ring, I don''t see myself wearing another ring and plus, my wedding ring will be a half-eternity to match the e-ring. When I put my other rings on my right hand and have my e-ring on, just feels odd to me. So that''s why I haven''t thought of ring styles. But I think you''re right about how pretty a band would be w/the emeralds and/or diamonds.

The idea of the diamond cluster w/emerald halo pendant is something I might look into. I''m just not sure about using the diamonds and emeralds together. Honestly, I''m not sure I''d wear it nearly as often w/just the diamonds.

PS, thanks for the draft of the necklace! That is very pretty! I''m thinking of something maybe w/fewer diamonds on the sides or just a cluster of diamonds in the middle or maybe a small cluster and then some on the sides (or would that look weird??) and doing something separate w/the emeralds. Hmmm, this is hard! I have to say, I''m pretty boring and simple when it comes to my jewelry tastes. Sorry!

So Happy, I like your comb idea but would probably never wear it! I never thought about using the gold too. I have a feeling this will be quite expensive! Gold knot earrings? What do those look like?

Thanks so much for your ideas everyone. I really appreciate and need the help here! I am picky but please don''t stop w/the ideas!!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
If eternity bands are something you like the look of I''d try to do an emerald eternity band and a diamond one...

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
hehehe widget, i guess it''s because we both are ..."widjet", but thanks!
35.gif

Dixie, you just did not Crop you pictures, no biggie (pun
9.gif
). Here is the new pendant now that i know the sizes, that''s what i would make for myself out of those stones though. That''s what will allow you to use all the gems and not to be too dressed up. It''s going to look like those pave charms Coin (sp?) made so popular for everyday wear.

LeafPendant.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2007 12:23:16 PM
Author: oshinbreez
What about some earrings and 2 bangles, one diamond and one emerald.
This is what I thought of too ... but saw oshinbreez had already suggested it! Another idea: Diamond Huggies or small Diamond shared-prong hoops?

LOVE the bangle idea though! One white, one green ..
18.gif

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Surfgirl, I do like eternity bands but just don''t think I''d wear any other rings other than my e-ring and wedding ring. I really want to make something that I''ll wear.

Deco, thanks for bringing Oshinbreez''s suggestion up. I completely missed that! Hmm, I wonder if there''s enough diamonds and emeralds for bangles.. Do you guys think so?

Deco, what are huggies? I do like the hoops idea a lot. I don''t normally wear hoops but think diamond ones would be wonderful, classy and simple and I''d certainly wear them a lot.

PS, thanks for the second picture! Wow, I never thought of something that big. I guess there really are plenty of diamonds to go around. It''s hard for me to imagine them all together. I guess there really are so many options!

Any ideas for dangly earrings or other necklace ideas?

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
If you don''t think you have enough diamonds for both, why not have it done in the etoile(?) style.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/19/2007 10:46:54 PM
Author: oshinbreez
If you don''t think you have enough diamonds for both, why not have it done in the etoile(?) style.

What''s that?

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the style I was thinking of.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
That''s really cute! I don''t think I''ve seen that before. I like that bangle bracelet a lot. I guess I will have to start determining how many stones I''ll need for particular pieces to see what I can really do.
It''s just hard to narrow it down!

Anyone have thoughts on how much something like this might cost? I really am clueless on this and could be in way over my head!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
I do like those flowers! I would want it in white gold but it looks like they offer that. Why would that be less expensive than having them put something together w/the diamonds? B/c w/the flowers, I''d have to buy that piece too.
Also, does all the stuff on the site come w/o the gems? I could potentially then get earrings, etc... from there too.

I would love it if you could put together something w/those flowers! Any thoughts for earrings?

Thank you so much!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2007 7:03:10 PM
Author: dixie94
I do like those flowers! I would want it in white gold but it looks like they offer that. Why would that be less expensive than having them put something together w/the diamonds? B/c w/the flowers, I'd have to buy that piece too.
Also, does all the stuff on the site come w/o the gems? I could potentially then get earrings, etc... from there too.

I would love it if you could put together something w/those flowers! Any thoughts for earrings?

Thank you so much!

I don't quite understand this question Dixie, could you please be more specific? Why i think it's cheaper? because it's less labor for the jeweler and i don't believe those mountings ( i know, they show them set with diamonds but they are in a category of Mountings so just ask your jeweler to inquire for the empty ones) are expensive. The come in white gold and with one jump ring instead of 2 as on the one i linked.

Did i understand correctly that you would like to use gold from the ring too? because if you do you need flowers to be yellow too, high?

Gold knot earrings? What do those look like?

You asked: "Gold knot earrings? What do those look like?" - i will try to find those pictures too.

Earrings? Do you mean flowers to or something else like haggis (i think it's hoops of a diameter small enough just to fit around your earlobe)?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Dixie wrote: Here''s some other pendants and a couple earrings I also liked from that site. It is great b/c it gives me a lot of ideas.

StullerPics4.jpg

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/20/2007 9:33:40 PM
Author: Pricescope

I don't quite understand this question Dixie, could you please be more specific? Why i think it's cheaper? because it's less labor for the jeweler and i don't believe those mountings ( i know, they show them set with diamonds but they are in a category of Mountings so just ask your jeweler to inquire for the empty ones) are expensive. The come in white gold and with one jump ring instead of 2 as on the one i linked.

Did i understand correctly that you would like to use gold from the ring too? because if you do you need flowers to be yellow too, high?

Gold knot earrings? What do those look like?

You asked: 'Gold knot earrings? What do those look like?' - i will try to find those pictures too.

Earrings? Do you mean flowers to or something else like haggis (i think it's hoops of a diameter small enough just to fit around your earlobe)?
Sorry for the confusion! You did answer my question about why buying the mountings would be cheaper than the jeweler creating something on their own.
I'm not sure I'd like the flower earrings but maybe if they were dangly. I think for hoops, I'd like something bigger than the haggis style. Maybe about the size of the picture below. (ETA: looking at the pic now, that might be too big for me. I guess I'll have to go try some on of various sizes)
Are there other places that sell just the mountings too? Perhaps I could find one to go w/the hoop earrings.

I'm not sure if I want to use the gold. I hadn't thought of doing that, mainly b/c I find myself wearing more silver to match my white gold e-ring. I do still wear gold but I think I prefer white gold for the diamonds.

Anyone have thoughts on any of those pendants in the above post?

Thanks again!

earrings4.jpg

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
How about some add-on''s for post earrings...the jackets with the emeralds that way you can wear them everyday or you can take them off for special occasions....

A Journey Pendant? Those look cute...

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Alexis, thanks for the suggestions.
Do you have any pics of add-on''s or jackets? I''m not familiar w/either of those types of earrings. Thanks!

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
Here are some examples of earring jackets. The second page has some with emeralds and diamonds.

ETA: Here are some more.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results