shape
carat
color
clarity

From Moissanite to MMD - Distinctive Gem / David Klass solitaire e-ring reset

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
After 13+ years married and a few (mostly moissanite) e-rings, I'm so happy to have my first big diamond solitaire!

1.67ct E SI2 MMD from Distinctive Gem, reset in my custom platinum 6-prong knife edge solitaire by David Klass.

IMG_1 3733 2.jpg

I had DK make my (favorite) wedding set in 2016. The solitaire previously held an 8.1mm / 2ct equiv moissanite - which I found too large for my taste most of the time, never experienced DSS! The fishtail / French pave diamond wedding band in pictures is also in platinum and made by David Klass - the .35cttw G VS stones were previously in a palladium band with a sort of saw blade edge design. I love both of these rings so much, they're timeless but to me they also have a little edginess.

I recently got the itch to find a diamond to replace the large moissanite in the solitaire. I realized very quickly I couldn't afford a natural diamond in the size/specs I could live with, and fortunately had just seen a story on tv about lab grown diamonds - I'd been previously ignoring them as I thought the prices weren't much different, boy was I wrong.

First I searched Rare Carat for days on end, trying to find the right size/price/specs I'd seen here - and finally ordered a beautiful stone from one of their vendors, Ascot jewelers. It was a G color and I thought I saw some tint, as well as darkness in the center, and worried I wouldn't be able to handle it. It may have been perfectly fine once set, but I just couldn't tell for sure. It was a stunning cut and received great feedback here when I posted about it, so a tough decision but I returned it after finding an E at Distinctive Gem for not much more $. The new 1.67 E was also a bit larger at 7.67mm, which was a big plus - I wanted to go smaller than my moissanite but larger than 7.5mm like the one from Ascot. It scored a .5 on the HCA, Ex Ex Ex and got a "looks big".

Jonathan at Distinctive Gem (formerly August Vintage) was so great. I loved his enthusiasm. He did a thorough inspection of the stone once it arrived to him, with a video presentation just for me, ASETs and Idealscopes, the works... at the end of his report he gave it two thumbs up. He assured me the main needle inclusion was safe and not visible, so an eye-clean SI2, which made the price SO much nicer than a VS grade. I can't see the inclusion and do not care one bit that it's there!

After a quick viewing of the stone when it arrived, I sent it off to David for the reset the next day. I was glad to not sit on it for weeks like I did the last stone, and happy with Jonathan's approval of the stone and the fact that it would not have any tint whatsoever. David had it back to me so fast. I'm in love!!

I will say - this stone is NOT photogenic. The previous one that I returned photographed great, but photos made it appear even more beautiful than it actually was in person. It took me a gazillion attempts to get some good shots. I'm guessing because of the E color ? it's just so white, and perhaps less contrast so it's more difficult for the camera to capture ? idk

Fortunately, I have this fantastic video from Jonathan to show the sparkle:
sparkle video

and another video in regular lighting:
video

Jonathan's scans/pics

LBBR167ESI2BLU-ASET white-01.jpg
LBBR167ESI2BLU-Hearts-01.jpg
LBBR167ESI2BLU-IdealScope-01.jpg
lgbr167esi2.jpg

Comparing the loose stone to my moissanites (diamond is in a stone holder on my middle finger)

IMG_3564.jpg
IMG_3569.jpg

and more pics of the reset!

IMG_3 0132.jpg
IMG_4 4126.jpg
IMG_4 0139.jpg
IMG_8 0186.jpg
IMG_91 3831.jpg

Attachments

• IGL.png
    IGL.png
    717.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

dvj

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so beautiful, @e2the3rd! I absolutely love your wedding set.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
:love: Love it, and love it in that mounting (I've recently become obsessed with that tab claw)! :love:
It's also riiight in my sweet spot for size. Perfection!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it!!!!

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
:love: Love it, and love it in that mounting (I've recently become obsessed with that tab claw)! :love:
It's also riiight in my sweet spot for size. Perfection!

Thank you and WOW to all of the rings in your avatar - not sure which I love the most!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Well thank you!
Just tell Agatha the snake she's prettiest. That's what I do. It doesn't have to be true:twisted2:

pinklemonadegurl

Shiny_Rock
It's perfect! Congratulations on such a beautiful piece.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful! And big arrows~

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
It’s simply amazing! Congrats!

BrownGinger

Shiny_Rock
Very beautiful! Thank you for sharing.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous stone!! Such an elegant ring! Just beautiful!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Love it! Congrats on you new DIAMOND ring!

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, everyone! I’m totally pinching myself that I have a diamond ring and I love it more every day.. After trying on moissanite studs and then diamond studs, and seeing the huge difference in performance (even with not-great diamonds), the moissanite earrings went back. Then with the giddiness I felt every time I’d catch the diamond studs flashing back at me in the mirror, I knew I HAD to get a diamond on my hand, stat. I was happy with my moissanite rings but always hoped someday I’d be able to get a big diamond e ring. Thank goodness for MMD! And of course now I want more :)

banjodeb

Rough_Rock
Wow. What a sparkle bomb! My lab diamonds “dance” more than my moissanites. I don’t know exactly how to word it but they seem more lively or twinkly on movement.

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely gorgeous ring! Glad to read about your repeated posositve experience with David Klass as I’m in a research stage of finding a great jeweller with exc customer service.

sparklynurse

Rough_Rock
Wow. What a sparkle bomb! My lab diamonds “dance” more than my moissanites. I don’t know exactly how to word it but they seem more lively or twinkly on movement.

I agree! This is the main reeason I sold most of my moissy jewellery. I ended up with WF ACA studs and an amazing lab diamond solitaire that performs as well as the ACAs. Light moves differently through moissanite (and that's reasonable, they are different materials ) and I think that the H&A cut, while perfect for a diamond, dampens the scintillation and fire of moissanite.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree! This is the main reeason I sold most of my moissy jewellery. I ended up with WF ACA studs and an amazing lab diamond solitaire that performs as well as the ACAs. Light moves differently through moissanite (and that's reasonable, they are different materials ) and I think that the H&A cut, while perfect for a diamond, dampens the scintillation and fire of moissanite.

@sparklynurse I’d love to see your amazing solitaire please.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your beautiful diamond ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results