shape
carat
color
clarity

French sonnet rug - would someone please translate?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am trying to find big pieces of interest for my new space and I am thinking about the idea of hanging a rug on one of my walls. I've gone from traditional oriental to contemporary to rugs with words! This one appeals to me but I am not sure exactly what it says (and I hate to be delivering a message that someone who speaks French would find weird/stupid/offensive if they came over for a cocktail!). Would someone kindly translate for me? I've tried on-line programs but I'm not getting much out of them...

http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Sonnet_Area_Rug/

The walls are blue/grey with a DARK grey ceilings, so any opinions on either the black lettering or the orange lettering will be appreciated. I'm thinking the 8' x 8' size is the way to go, but I'm also open to the 8'3" x 11'6" because the words seem to repeat in the 8' x 8' from line to line. This is smaller than I was thinking though; a 10' x 14' would be ideal (with the 10' being vertial and the 14' being horizontal), however I can't find that anywhere.

And if anyone has any other ideas I would welcome them!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's an image of the rug:

sonnet_rug.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And here it is rectangular rather than square:

sonnet_vertical.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well damn... I found a translation and I'm not sure it's a message I want hanging on my wall.

http://danspira.com/2012/11/13/the-ant-and-the-grasshopper-living-a-fable-ous-life/

Of all the words and fables and tales, why on earth would *this* be the one they decided to put on the rug?

I may have to think this through in a way that produces an ending that *I* want hanging in my home every day. E.g., the grasshopper, in a moment of despair, hops on a Greyhoud, taking a chance on a destination unknown. Due to a happy quirk of fate he ends up in Boca, living out a long and happy life, never again needing to prepare for an impending cold winter! (Yes, I know I am crazy.)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
not that bad, imo.
certainly a message to prepare for winter......
and be prepared to perform for your handouts........
besides, everything sounds better in French!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the idea Dee*Jay, even if this particular rug doesn't end up working. I love the idea of going with orange lettering instead of black. It would add some color to the darker walls, and I think it would look great with the dark ceiling, too.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MZ, everything DOES sound better in French! And the message isn’t *terrible*, I was just thinking it was something more… I don’t know… whimsical? Light hearted?

Erica, yes, exactly!

Zoe, I have spent the day cruising the internet to see if there is a rug I like better (of this concept) and I haven’t found any yet, so this may be the lucky winner.

I’ve ordered the 2’ x 3’ versions of both colors to see in person and then I’ll decided. Here is the orange BTW. It’s really growing on me!

_17550.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are a couple of pictures in people's spaces:

rug1.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another.

rug2.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last one.

rug3.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I like the orange. It is a little anti-climactic of a story, but it's La Fontaine so counts as a classic, I guess. The cool thing is that you'll be the only person who knows what it says, unless you have a bunch of French friends. :bigsmile:

--- Laurie

ETA: Our posts crossed. I really like it. Didn't realize it was so big -- it's really neat!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JF, I don't *think* any of my friends speak (or read) French but I wanted to be sure of the message just in case, LOL. And it comes in different sizes but I will probably go with the 8 foot X 8 foot version. The wall it's going on is about 24 wide and 13 high, but I've got two doors to contend with so I'm really working with 16 feet wide X 13 feet high.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE the orange one!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the orange too...its different but in a good way!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, so I forgot this actually *is* a rug. I saw the display pics you posted, Dee*Jay, and I wondered why they were putting wall art on the floor.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results