shape
carat
color
clarity

freeze dried vs real rose petals

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
Hi ladies! I REALLY want rose petals for the toss as well as to have scattered down the aisle (it''s an outdoor wedding). But I''m also on a strict budget.

I ordered a sample of freeze dried rose petals online. And honestly the look was fine and photographed well. But the texture bothers me. Well because it''s dry
9.gif

Would you spend the extra money to go w/ real? I''m not even sure how much more real would be at this point. But I''m thinking a lot.

If you were at a wedding and there were dried rose petals to toss would you think that''s weird or cheap?

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn''t think it''s weird at all. It''s for looks anyways, so as long as their pretty.

partyjewels

Shiny_Rock
So wait, are the freeze dried ones real or fake? I''m confused because you are saying freeze dried vs. real...By real roses do you just mean fresh petals? I know I''m an idiot, but I''ll never get better if I don''t ask :)

If they are REAL, just dried, I''d probably not think a thing of it, and honestly, if they are fake, but look great, I don''t know that I''d really think anything of it anyways!

But I''m also wondering, could the fresh ones stain your dress or anything else whereas the freeze dried ones may not? Thats something to also consider if you aren''t 100% either way..

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I think you should price the real ones. They really don''t cost THAT much if you''re open in your color choices... they are kind of a "waste product" at a florist... they don''t have to be "perfectly fresh" to be fresh. I think freeze-dried ones would be crunchy. Go with "real" fresh ones.

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
yes the are real...i meant freeze dried vs fresh...hehe...sorry

partyjewels

Shiny_Rock
Just checkin'' cause sometimes you just never know! :) Sumbride makes a point that they could be crunchy.. hmm..

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
we used freeze dried petals from petal garden and LOVED them. they were large petals and the color was fantastic. i''ve heard of brides staining their dresses with fresh ones so we went the freeze dried route. they looked fabulous in pictures and even smelled nice in person since they add a rose scent to the petals. i think i posted pics of the petal toss in my pro pic thread here on pricescope.

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
I haven''t tried this myself, but I have heard that you can soften the freeze dried rose petals with steam.

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
jcrow...I remember all of your pics from your wedding and everything was beautiful, so glad to know they were FD petals.

Sap - I have heard that as well, maybe i''ll give it a try w/ the sample i have and go from there.

thanks ladies!

Mediterranean

Brilliant_Rock
You know who might be the tie-breaker here?

Your venue.

Le me explain: a lot of the outdoor "garden" type venues in my area will not allow fresh flower petals to be tossed for fear that there may be live insects or larvae on live flowers. Since most flowers are imported, the venues fear introducing new (potentially destructive) species of insects into the environment.

They''ll allow the freeze-dried, though, because they''ve already been processed.

I''ve seen both used at weddings (both as tossing petals, and as table decor) and there really isn''t any difference in the look. The texture is a matter of personal taste; the freeze-dried will crumble and turn into crumbs, and the fresh will kinda crush into a wet mush. The fresh ones are easier to slip on, if you have polished floors and leather-soled shoes, I''ll tell ya that!

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
thanks violet and med!

Med- I didn''t think of that about the fresh. We are having the wedding at a relatives home, so there are no real restrictions. definitely have to think about this.

thanks ladies!

ByGoneEraBride

Rough_Rock
I got a huge bag of fresh rose petals from my florist for literally 5.00.

Try the local florist, or go to the grocery store that has a flower section. That 5.00 per large bag was from the grocery store!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results