shape
carat
color
clarity

freedom tower

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would prefer to see a green and open space, a memorial park. For me, to sacrifice the development of a highly prized and commercially valuable piece of real estate is the strongest testament to honor those who died (and to all who suffered and continue to suffer from 9/11) and the strongest acknowledgment of the scope of the tragedy than erecting another building.

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
style="WIDTH: 99%; HEIGHT: 394px">Date: 7/13/2005 3:49:09 PM
Author: fire&ice

Date: 7/13/2005 3:40:29 PM
Author: lost on 5th
-- other bits if information --

- amanda, i agree with you that the $$ per state should be redone. i recall my home state (ohio) where a police department in farming and amish country was recieveing state of the art biological gear and detection devices that they didnt need or know how to use

- as for building 7 at WTC. the exterior is finished i believe. interior isnt built out and will be finished early next year. its priced high but with incentived it should fill.

- freedom tower is rumored to have the port authority of NY and NJ as the main tenant. they would occupy ~60% of the capacity.

35.gif
Re: the $$ per state. I am unsure how it is allocated; but, I can attest that there exists many more sinister targets outside of NYC. Targets that would cause more deaths & chaos. Just something to consider.

Regarding the interior not being built out, down here it is customary to wait until you have a tenent to build that out. Unsure if that''s the reason?

That would be a good rumor at 60%! Is Port Authority THAT big?
6.gif
I guess NY & NJ does have quite a bit of all modes of transportation moving in and out.
As far as I know, the Port Authority has pledged to move back into the World Trade Center site, but not specifically the Freedom Tower. The executive director has indicated that the PA will wait until some of the other buildings at the site are built -- and that will be after the Freedom Tower will be built.

F&I -- which targets are you talking about that are more sinister outside of NYC? (Curious, serious, not being sarcastic).

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Let''s all also remember that the tragedy on September 11, 2001, was the SECOND attack on the World Trade Center buildings. It was also bombed in 1993. And yet, people want to build it again...

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
It may be interesting to start a poll.

I think the area should be rebuilt - I''m a NY''er
I think the area should remain green - I''m a NY''er
I think the area should be rebuilt - not a NY''er
I think the area should remain green - not a NY''er

By green - I mean nothing but maybe a monument & not a rentable building.

I''m squarely with Dave Old Miner. It''s a valuable piece of real estate. Rebuilding after a tragedy is what we do. And, if you don''t move on, you are succumbing to their (terrorists) very wishes and hopes. But, my opinion doesn''t come without a heavy heart.

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock
mara- your correct. metal panels. i got the location backwards. either way, not so joyful. and there is something about putting the air intake of a high security building so close to the ground that gets to me. (the box is to house mechanicals) will be interesting to see how it develops.

port authority is fairly large ~2000 people. until recent they have had their eyes on the tower, but internal unrest might impact that some. 2,000 people x 500 sf per person = 1 million gross square feet of space.

fire & ice - the interior build out i was referring to was core/lobby/common space. i believe the building envelope is still being closed... havent checked. they are targeting law firms and FS firms for the space

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2005 4:20:36 PM
Author: AmandaPanda

style="WIDTH: 99%; HEIGHT: 394px">Date: 7/13/2005 3:49:09 PM
Author: fire&ice

Date: 7/13/2005 3:40:29 PM
Author: lost on 5th
-- other bits if information --

- amanda, i agree with you that the $$ per state should be redone. i recall my home state (ohio) where a police department in farming and amish country was recieveing state of the art biological gear and detection devices that they didnt need or know how to use

- as for building 7 at WTC. the exterior is finished i believe. interior isnt built out and will be finished early next year. its priced high but with incentived it should fill.

- freedom tower is rumored to have the port authority of NY and NJ as the main tenant. they would occupy ~60% of the capacity.

35.gif
Re: the $$ per state. I am unsure how it is allocated; but, I can attest that there exists many more sinister targets outside of NYC. Targets that would cause more deaths & chaos. Just something to consider.

Regarding the interior not being built out, down here it is customary to wait until you have a tenent to build that out. Unsure if that''s the reason?

That would be a good rumor at 60%! Is Port Authority THAT big?
6.gif
I guess NY & NJ does have quite a bit of all modes of transportation moving in and out.
As far as I know, the Port Authority has pledged to move back into the World Trade Center site, but not specifically the Freedom Tower. The executive director has indicated that the PA will wait until some of the other buildings at the site are built -- and that will be after the Freedom Tower will be built.

F&I -- which targets are you talking about that are more sinister outside of NYC? (Curious, serious, not being sarcastic).
Give it some thought. I''m not going to give them any ideas - they may read the PS
6.gif
2.gif
But, targets that have been named before - Hoover Dam, any nuclear power facility, the money supply, and other infrastructure stuff.

Again, I am unsure how the money is allocated. I thought it was more equitable on population size. Any system of allocation is going to be inequitable. Not saying it should be - just a fact.

Which again, leads to an interesting point. There was talk about putting in heavy survailance equipment in most of the areas of transit. I always thought about it as "big brother"; but, after seeing what London was able to gleen from the sur. tapes, maybe the idea should be reviewed. I believe the ACLU that objected.

It''s a fine line between how much liberty we give up to keep ourselves safe. I mean that from the mico-management of our very own lives (i.e. wouldn''t work in the towers , avoiding flying, avoiding the metros, etc.) and the macro-management of our government.

I think I would work at the towers. No, I wasn''t there - but I''m an ex-pat. Maybe my feeling is one of sentimentality - how dare they do this to my city & affect my core level.
I was there a month or two after 9/11. I was amazed at the resolve of the people getting back to business. My husband went down to ground zero. I can assure you it wasn''t to gauk. It was to grieve a grave. I simply could not bring myself to go.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I''m not from NYC, but I think I would work in it, as a way to say we are still here, and still strong and resilent. I don''t think I''d really know until confronted with the decision though.

I went to ground zero a couple of months after 9/11. It wasn''t to gawk, but to grieve and really try to understand at a core level the devastation that the terrorists brought on the families and the nation. I know there''s nothing to see anymore, but I think at least at the time, the more people who saw it up close, the more they could personalize the devastation. (I might not be explaining it right, but I think it is good to have people really see for themselves and feel, outside of TV coverage, the magnitude of the tragedy. There was a tremendous amount of grieving at the site.)

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock
as for the poll:

I think the area should be rebuilt - I''m a NY''er

:)

i am happy with most of what is going on downtown. i like that the site itself is left open as a memorial. i like that the massings of new buildings are reverent to the site. i like that one tower, not 2, will mark its spot on the skyline again. everything that is new is remembering what was there and what happened....and responding to it.

the reality is ....they HAVE to build. it comes down to $$$ there has to be 10 million SF of office on the WTC site to hold the lease. as long as they build responsibly i am ok.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results