Freedom of speech?????????

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
ruby59|1486415261|4124995 said:
bunnycat|1486413930|4124976 said:
JoCoJenn|1486411016|4124946 said:
bunnycat|1486409482|4124936 said:
JoCoJenn|1486405564|4124906 said:
But, but, but ... wouldn't the teacher's comment re: the swastika be a 'red herring' (aside from such an insensitive & illogical comparison)? :think:

=> During their chat, the teacher reportedly told Jack wearing clothes with political messages was inappropriate, the Herald said — but Jack added that he saw a math teacher wearing a Barack Obama shirt.<=

Actually, the bolded part is the red herring. An analogy and a red herring are two differnt things. The red herring argument is the classic one seen so often of "so and so did it so that proves I can do it to...." or "you can't say such and such is wrong because look at x and y that happened before"

From a list of logical fallacies:

"Attempting to redirect the argument to another issue that to which the person doing the redirecting can better respond. While it is similar to the avoiding the issue fallacy, the red herring is a deliberate diversion of attention with the intention of trying to abandon the original argument."

Maybe it was a comparative analogy AND a red herring. :lol:
https://literarydevices.net/red-herring/
Red herring is a kind of fallacy that is an irrelevant topic introduced in an argument to divert the attention of listeners or readers from the original issue. In literature, this fallacy is often used in detective or suspense novels to mislead readers or characters or to induce them to make false conclusions.

:lol:

Either way- the teachers approach needed work. I'd have kept it to simple "school policy". Any back talk and you can go visit the principle. Best to leave personal feeling out of it. Middle schoolers are walking pods of emotion and hormones as it is.

Too bad it is not that simple. Kids seem to have more rights then the teacher and they know it. Try to discipline a middle schooler without getting something thrown at you. And if a teacher touches him, he/she will get suspended.

I used to tutor "at risk" inner city Middle School kids in math and science....and for myself at least, I can't say I find this statement true....They WERE a bundle of emotions, but they weren't bad kids at heart. You just had to approach things in a decent way (ie- with compassion) and find ways to get them interested in concentrating on work (and not emoting....).

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1486403037|4124889 said:
Hi ladies! Thank you! I am just back today after my hiatus.

I'll take this opportunity to apologize for my lack of self control and that you had to read it. I did read all the nice comments though and appreciate it.

:wavey:
Red, you are the minority leader here.... :wink2:

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Red, I had taken a very long break and had just returned when that went down, so I missed it. I saw that you had a lot of support, though and was glad for that.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ruby,

The second link doesn't work.

I'm not understanding the content of the first link (video from 2011) in the context of this discussion...?

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
bunnycat|1486396524|4124842 said:
momhappy|1486390649|4124806 said:
This thread reminded me of another thread a while back that involved teachers wearing their BLM shirts to school. My opinion is the same across the board....if a piece of clothing is a distraction in class, it shouldn't be worn (and that includes students and school staff). I don't think a student should wear a "Trump - Build the Wall" shirt any more than a teacher show;d wear a BLM shirt.

I'm in agreement with momhappy on this.

I agree as well

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1486430565|4125153 said:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/27/student-arrested-after-classroom-attack-on-nj-high-school-teacher-caught-on.html

Corrected second link.

First link - read article.

Context that yes students can and do get violent in school. And I have seen instances of it at the school I volunteered at as well as stories from my children.

Students being very disrespectful and threatening, and practically daring the teacher to do anything about it.

Of course they can, and there are cases where some do. But to act as though this happens every day and kids in school can't be disciplined is a huge over-exaggeration. Why do you think it makes the news if it happens all day everywhere? It makes the news because of the rarity of it.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
lovedogs|1486433857|4125170 said:
ruby59|1486430565|4125153 said:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/27/student-arrested-after-classroom-attack-on-nj-high-school-teacher-caught-on.html

Corrected second link.

First link - read article.

Context that yes students can and do get violent in school. And I have seen instances of it at the school I volunteered at as well as stories from my children.

Students being very disrespectful and threatening, and practically daring the teacher to do anything about it.

Of course they can, and there are cases where some do. But to act as though this happens every day and kids in school can't be disciplined is a huge over-exaggeration. Why do you think it makes the news if it happens all day everywhere? It makes the news because of the rarity of it.

It happened often in the schools my children attended and the ones I volunteered in.

Those schools, like many, prefer to deal with it internally.

We were even told in one school never to turn our backs to any of the students, just in case.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results