shape
carat
color
clarity

Freaking out- My Space- please help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
I have a question about My Space; I had heard about My Space but never went to it until just now. Anyway, I have this one ex-boyfriend who use to stalk me, was abusive, etc. I did a search on his name to see if he was still in the area (I''m always freaked out when I leave my house; that''s how serious it was) and right away found his profile. Anyway, I clicked on it and now wish I hadn''t! Can he see that I viewed his profile? I used my married last name not my maiden when I registered. Now I''m scared he''s "seen" me and will track me down. I deleted my account immediately and am really scared now! Especially since I used my married last name. Can he "see" that I viewed his profile? Or can he see my IP address?

I don''t think I was officially a My Space user because I hadn''t yet confirmed my account and really wasn''t planning on being a My Space member anyway. I just went to it out of curiosity. But I immediately deleted my account. I''m so scared I''m crying. I called DH who''s in Germany right now on business and he''s deleting our family website. He had set it up under his name and it was for his parents to be able to see us, the Grandkids and his brother''s family since they live overseas. I couldn''t help it and started crying on the phone to him
7.gif

I so wish wish wish I had never gone to My Space.
38.gif

Thank you,
Carrie

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
No, he can only see that another profile looked at his profile. So all he see is "X" Profile Views. No worries
1.gif

Glad you deleted your account, because if he wanted to search for you, then he could possibly find your profile, although if he doesn''t know your married name, then that might have been difficult anyway.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Rascal,

Thank you so much.

From My Space's privacy policy:

" To enrich our members' experience, we request and display some personal information to other members and visitors, which allows our users to identify each other and expand their network of friends." So that is what really got me scared. I read that as he can "see" that I viewed his profile or I was identified in some way to him. Or am I interpreting that wrong?

I wasn't planning on using My Space, it's just been in the news so much and at my DD's school, they've told the parents to watch their kids on there because it's so raunchy. So I never set up a profile, I only filled out the registration form to be able to surf through the site.

I'm still shaking. This guy was so abusive and then stalked me for years. I feel so stupid stupid stupid for putting myself and my family at jepordy. And I'm so careful about internet identity too! I go to an online parents board and there are women with family pictures and tons of info in their signatures which I just don't get. There are so many crazy people out there!

Again, thank you so much Rascal.
7.gif

Carrie

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Hun,

Dont freak! It''s ok, he can''t see that you saw his profile--on Friendster they can, but you can turn the option off so that you cant see who viewed you and they cant see that you viewed them, but not on Myspace. Myspace can be freaky, I made it almost impossible to do a random search on me by faking my hometown and not including my last name from my myspace profile. More so that prospective employers dont find it though, I''ve heard that some check out myspace to see if the prospective employee has a Myspace account and what they have on it...The only way anyone can "find" me (without looking through all Lyndseys in the world who are on Myspace haha) is to know a friend of mine who would have me on their profile and look at their friends.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Don''t worry Carrie, you''re fine!!
1.gif

miyabi_na

Rough_Rock
Hey hun,

Don't worry- he can't see anything. He can't see who viewed his profile or when. He can only see how many times it was viewed by the public a day.

The only way he would ever find you is if you made a page and he looked you up (unless you set it to private- which you should try to do if you posted ANY info about yourself whatsoever and you feel that he may try this....), or if you messaged him through myspace. Otherwise, there is NO WAY for him to know you looked him up.

The 3 ways he could find you is if you use your real name (I never use my real name on anything in the internet), you used an email that he knows about, or if he searches 'Carrie' and goes through a ton of pages looking for you. If you decide to keep the family account for your overseas relatives- put it in your DH's name, email, and whatever display name he wants. That way your ex really has no way to find you unless by chance....

Sorry to hear about the sour relationship, but I just wanted you to know you're safe
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results