shape
carat
color
clarity

Fourth of July...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sharon, my thoughts exactly re: the tall cool drink. I was thinking of making some white sangria tomorrow which could marinate all weekend long and be ready to drink on Sunday...Monday..Tuesday... hahhaa.

roppongi

Shiny_Rock
Mara....maybe I''ll see you in Napa?
9.gif
We are checking into the Villagio on Sunday night for three days. I love their spa and their incredible breakfast....YUM!

One of my favorite hamburger recipes has cream cheese and blue cheese folded into the hamburgers prior to grilling. It is so delicious and so incredibly fattening.

I hope that everyone has a wondeful and safe 4th!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
This may be way old fashion - but if I do want a little more zest/flavor to the burgers, I mix in a little Lipton''s onion soup (dry) to the hamburger.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our company is giving the 3rd and 4th off...but I have to work! Argh!

I''m going to San Diego on the 2nd to set up for a tradeshow we are having later in the week. Such a bummer. And my FI gets both days off too, but since I''m going to be in a convention hall all day he is not coming down with me...wah.

On the bright side, I get to make up the two holidays somewhere else, which is fine by me since we already had a long weekend trip planned for later this month. For a late bday present, I am taking FI to the Moto GP at Laguna Seca. I must really love the guy...
20.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
roppongi, we'll be in downtown napa on monday and tues, i hope the weather isn't too hot!!

F&I i love the idea of the liptons onion soup, i will have to pick up a packet. we like things pretty flavorful around here. we went last nite and relieved my cheeseburger craving at this awesome local place that has the best burgers and fries...i got the old fashioned regular american cheeseburger and it was SO GOOD. i figure i'll be ready for a zesty homeade bleu cheese one on tues again...hehee.
5.gif

i also decided YES on the sangria so i'm going to make it tomorrow. woo hoo!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Aside from yummy food and time with family & friends (a whole week off from work, YAY!)

I want to rent the movie "Team America: World Police".
My daughter left a mix CD in my car with the theme song.
It makes me laugh.
So now I am curious about the movie.

From Wikipedia,
"the song is a microcosm of the movie, a satire of America and jingoism. It satirically glorifies the American way of life that Team America fights to defend, including Wal-Mart, the NFL, breast implants, and Valium. Written by South Park creator Trey Parker and performed by his band DVDA, the song, mocking the hubris of American foreign policy, challenges terrorists..."

It''s pretty vulgar so I won''t offend anybody by writing any more. But it just struck me funny when I unexpectedly heard the CD come blasting out of my car.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/1/2006 2:38:55 PM
uthor: Mara
i also decided YES on the sangria so i''m going to make it tomorrow. woo hoo!
HI Mara:

My sister is a big sangria fan and sent me a recipe from the June Bon Appetit for a "Cava Sangria" (I like Cava/sparkling on its own)...but be darned if I know what I did with it........

cheers--Sharon
emcocktl.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Cava Sangria ... coming right up!

This recipe is from chef Jose Andres, at Jaleo in Washington, D.C. Compliments of June 2006, Bon Appetit!

Serves: 4

1/4 cup white grape juice
2 Tablespoons licor 43* or Tuaca
2 Tablespoons brandy
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 750-ml bottle chilled cava
1/2 cup sliced strawberries
12 fresh mint leaves
Ice cubes

Mix first 4 ingredients in pitcher until sugar dissolves. Mix in cava, berries, and mint. Fill glasses with ice. Ladle sangria over ice and serve.

*An herbaceous Spanish liqueur with notes of vanilla and orange;available at some liquor stores.

or ...

Bellini Sangria (An Italian twist on the cava sangria from Jaleo)

Substitute 4 tablespoons peach liqueer for the Licor *43 and brandy, and use fresh peaches instead of the strawberries.

or ...

Spiced Rioja and Albarino Sangria

Serves: 12

1 750-ml bottle Albarino
1 750-ml bottle Rioja
2 cups Grand Marnier or other orange liqueur
1 cup sugar
2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise
2 green apples, quartered, cored and sliced
2 oranges, sliced
2 lemons, sliced
2 limes, sliced
1 pear, quartered lengthwise, cored and sliced
1/2 pineapple, peeled, quartered lengthwise, cored, sliced crosswise
1/4 cup chopped pelled fresh ginger
6 whoe star anise*
3 cinnamon sticks
Ice cubes

Mix first 4 ingredients in large pitcher;stir to dissolve sugar. Scape in seeds from vanilla beans; add beans, Mix in all remaining ingredients except ice. Cover, and chill overnight.

Remove vanilla, star anise, and cinnamon from sangria. Fill glasses with ice. Ladle sangria into glasses.

*Brown star-shaped seed pods;available in the spice section of some supermarkets and at Asian markets and specialty foods stores.

Enjoy!
emcocktl.gif
and have a safe 4th of July!
35.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
OOOH that cava sangria sounds insanely yummy!! i am going to have to try that next time!!!

i made ours today and it's VERRA good.
9.gif
we have already had a sampling...hehee.

i love super sweet stuff and wines, so if you like very sweet and not really tasting the alcohol, this one is suggested....i like it better than ones that use sauv blanc or riesling. the best thing about sangria is you can add whatever you like the taste of or whatever you feel like tasting in it. it can't really ever be BAD i have found!!! fruit and sweet wine, they go so well together. hehe.

sutter home moscato..magnum size!
sliced fresh strawberries (~10)
sliced fresh white peaches (~2)
sliced fresh orange (~1)
1/2c orange juice
1/2c mixed sugar and water (sugar water)
1 small can of sliced canned peaches with heavy syrup, use both peaches and syrup

chill mixed together for at least a few hours...the longer the better.
serve in tall glasses filled with ice.

YUM. we are having it for dinner with homemade tostadas!!

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Well for us ... we will celebrate with our backyard / backdoor neighbors and some family.
face23.gif

Backdoor neighbors wife and myself took a half day road trip up north, got some "Real" fireworks
emthup.gif
... had lunch, and talked all the way home! Our husbands and my teenage kids think we "rock" ''cause we scored big time with a few cases of "Boom-booms!"
9.gif

Ok, for food it will be simple:

emlove.gif
BBQ Rib-eyes (And no ... I will not be the one bbq''in!)
20.gif

(Everyone is relieved!
41.gif
)
emlove.gif
BBQ chicken

I''ll be making BBQ beans, Macaroni salad, chilled fresh fruit, and of course a special chilled chocolate cake that incorporates whipped cream, caramel, sweetened condensed milk, and cruched up heath bar tidbits!
3.gif
18.gif

Drinks will be pretty casual. Coke and Sprite, Virgin Sangria type fruit punch for kids and anyone else, and beer for anyone who will want it (Well except the kids!)
face22.gif
I''ll be stayin'' sober for this event, gotta be safe when doing the real fireworks! (I used to have a firework business, so I know what I am doing
2.gif
)

Everyone around our houses knows to water their yards the morning/afternoon of July 4th ... I don''t need anyones'' garden catchin'' on fire!
12.gif

I hope everyone will have a fun day filled with happiness and laughter ... and remember to be safe!

35.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
here is one more that you'all might be interested in as well ... from same article of June Bon Appetit.

Hot Pepper Sangria

Serves 14

2 2/3 cups water
2 2/3 cups sugar
10 whole cloves
2 cinnamon sticks
2 whole star anise
1 (generous) teaspoon dried crushed red pepper

1 2/3 cups brandy, divided
1 1/2 cups triple sec
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 oranges, cut into thin wedges
2 apples, halved, cored and cubed

2 750-ml bottles dry red wine
1/2 cup Grand Marnier or other orange liqueur
Ice cubes
1 1/4 cups sparkling water

Bring first 7 ingredients to a boil in heavy med. saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar. Cover and let cool 1 hour.

Strain syrup. Mix half of syrup, 2/3 cup brandy, triple sec, and lemon juice in large pitcher; mix in fruit. Cover and let stand 4 hours at room temperature.

Stir wine, Grand Marnier, 1 cup brandy, and remaining syrup into fruit mixture. Fill glasses with ice. Ladle sangria mixture over ice. Top with sparkling water.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
My fiance and I are leaving tomorrow for New Orleans and we are going to spend the 4th eating good food, drinking lots of drinks, and watching dueling firework shows over the levies! This is our first vacation together without going with one of our families and I can''t wait! Have a safe and happy 4th you guys!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2006 10:04:39 AM
Author: littlelysser
Mrs. Salvo - are you from Cinti? I used to live there and I was JUST talking about the deliciousness of that which is Greaters.

MMMMMM.

What kind are you having? Please allow me to live vicariously through your icecream experience!

just saw this
35.gif
yes, i grew up there. just had some mocha chip and one of the chips was the size of a quarter
18.gif
..had mint choc. chip yesterday and choc. chip 2 days ago
3.gif
. hubby''s favorite is black rasberry chip.. there is just nothing like it..

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd like to spend it like we did today... only with better food. LOL.

Spent the day at FSIL's house in her new pool. Swam, floated, got some sun, barbequed (hotdog (Sabrett, I like Thurmans or Windmill) and hamburgers-- frozen patties AND freezer burned). But had a great time.

Not sure what we are doing day of. Would like to go over to FSIL's... but I'd prefer to cook (she hates cooking so she'd be thrilled). Thinking some nice sausage (chicken sausage-- not sure what type), chicken (thighs), and gourmet burgers (butcher) and a couple of pork tenderloins (love costco). Pasta Salad and coleslaw (both homemade). Fruitsalad for dessert... brownies for the kids.

Gonna call her tomorrow then go shopping.

ETA: DF just quashed that idea. We all divide up holidays... since we get stuck with Christmas... he's totally against us doing the whole catering for the 4th. Just I can understand... but I'd enjoy it. So we are taking over 1 salad and one main dish (I want to take gourmet burgers... he wants pork tenderloin). And brownies (he doesn't know that part yet).

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/1/2006 11:12:18 AM
Author: fire&ice
This may be way old fashion - but if I do want a little more zest/flavor to the burgers, I mix in a little Lipton''s onion soup (dry) to the hamburger.
I''m going to try this F&I...I bought a big ole box of it to make onion dip awhile back, but I don''t like the way the dip tastes. I think this will do wonders with a burger!!

ocbride2007

Shiny_Rock
This 4th it''s all about the world cup semi-finals... It''s Germany v Italy, and my house is all Germany fans. So we will be cheering on a foreign country on out country''s brithday. Haha. Oh well, it''s not our fault that the US isn''t as good at soccer as they thought this year.

hmmm... burgers on the grill sounds delicious!! We''ll have to do some of that after the game!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/2/2006 10:00:45 PM
Author: Mrs Darlin Joy

emlove.gif
20.gif

(Everyone is relieved!
41.gif
)
emlove.gif
BBQ chicken
35.gif
hey Mrs Joy
i''ll be over
31.gif
what time is your BBQ ? i''ll take a 12 oz rib eye medium rare and a char broil 10 oz Australia lobster tail
18.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/3/2006 3:40:57 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 7/2/2006 10:00:45 PM
Author: Mrs Darlin Joy

emlove.gif
20.gif

(Everyone is relieved!
41.gif
)
emlove.gif
BBQ chicken
35.gif
hey Mrs Joy
i''ll be over
31.gif
what time is your BBQ ? i''ll take a 12 oz rib eye medium rare and a char broil 10 oz Australia lobster tail
18.gif
Hi Dancing Fire ~
emrose.gif

Well, if you and your wife take turns driving ... I think you should be able to drive here in about 16 hours (depending on how fast you drive ... potty breaks, etc) so, your gonna need to be here by 6 P.M. for the dinner part ... and of course stay for the "Real" fireworks! *(P.S. Gas up here is only $2.80/gal ... what is it down south?)

You could discuss Koi w/my parents and chow down on some serious red meat!
3.gif
Medium rare sounds perfect to me!
18.gif

Oh and I am sure that my backdoor neighbor will be wondering if "*You will be providing the Australia lobster tails" *I''ll take those over a ribeye anyday! You have me drooling now!
emlove.gif
emsmilep.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Thanks MDJ for posting that Sangria recipe!!!
36.gif
My sister resent me the recipes/link after you posted it.....

cheers--Sharon
emcocktl.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/3/2006 11:22:54 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Thanks MDJ for posting that Sangria recipe!!!
36.gif
My sister resent me the recipes/link after you posted it.....

cheers--Sharon
emcocktl.gif
Hi Canuk-gal ~
emrose.gif

Hey, your welcome. I saw your post and I said "Hey ... I have that recipe!"
face23.gif

Bon Appetit is one of my favorite mags to subscribe to!!
emlove.gif

I can always find new cool foods to try ... just yummers!
18.gif

Hope you have a great day!
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results