shape
carat
color
clarity

foundation

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does anyone have a foundation they really love? I''ve been using clinique for over a year now for my face stuff and I have a sample of their foundation that seems okay other than its not the right color... I''m very fair but my skin is very dry. I do my face thing and put on an extra layer of moisturizer for "very dry skin" and then use what is supposedly makeup for dry skin and I swear within 15 minutes my face is starting to look like a desert. Especially my cheeks and chin and even if I don''t use powder.

I need something with superduper moisture and yet has pretty good coverage. I go without makeup at all most days but if I''m going to wear it it might as well work to make me look great! lol

Ideas?

Also looking for a great mascara!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Lancome Definicils mascara and have used it for years, alas a great foundation continues to elude me...

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
I am very, very fair and I love Prescriptives foundation. First of all, the lightest color of every other makeup line is TOO dark for me. Prescriptives has the largest range of colors of all of the makeup lines, plus if you can''t find one that perfectly matches off of the shelf (which you should) they will custom blend one for you.

As a tip, make sure that you are REALLY hydrating your skin very well -- that will make a huge difference in how foundation goes on, and how it looks after hours of wear. Makeup for dry skin will not dry your skin out, only highlight any dryness that you already have. I would recommend dr. hauschka''s rose day cream, or philosophy''s hope in a jar (although the scent isn''t my absolute favorite, it does work well.)

Good luck!
35.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hey - you should check out Paula Begoun''s stuff (just google it and her website should come up). Her stuff is really well formulated and my mom uses her foundation for dry skin to great effect. Plus all her foundations have fully protective sunscreens included, and she has some pretty intensive moisturizers. Also, no fragrances, so its less likely to irritate your skin. You can order samples (usually about $0.25-0.50 each) of different colors to get the right one for you.

Another good option are the sheer moisturizing foundation/sunscreen products. I had the one from Stila for a while, which was great for matching my skin (I''m also SUPER fair and a lot of brands aren''t light enough for me). I''ve actually never gone wrong with any Stila products, especially their foundations and powders, which match my very fair skin beautifully. A sheer moisturizer would have a lot less chance of looking dry on you, I''d guess. I''ve also heard good things about the one from Bobbi Brown, although not sure it comes light enough.

Hope one of those works for you - make sure to ask for samples when you can, a lot of places will give them to you for free or minimal cost and that way you can try stuff out at home in natural light with you applying it, etc...

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
i use trucco skintones natural coverage w/spf15. its light and doesn''t dry out my skin. it evens out my skin nicely. you can''t see it on your face which i like. i see people who use foundation and even when totally blended it leaves a "film" on their faces...this stuff doesn''t do it.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2007 10:39:49 AM
Author: SanDiegoLady
WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.... I did begin using BE mineral powder foundation, however, I began to break out pretty awfully.. so, I found Physicians Formula mineral powder foundation and I LOVE IT. It gives me better coverage and the array of colors are nicer with my skin. I found one (I''ll post the name of it later because I''m at ''work'' now. LOL) that I like, a beigey bisque color. Great coverage and very light. You also get more foundation for the price, the BE was 25. per pot and the Physicians Formula I am using is twice as much product for half the price of the BE, literally.
do you like the powder type foundations? I''ve never tried them!! My skin is dry AND sensitive AND prone to breakouts - ugh, the worst combo!!!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use MAC cosmetics. If that stuff can make RuPaul look like a woman, well, it should make me look like a rock star.
9.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2007 10:44:07 AM
Author: *Lindsey*
I am very, very fair and I love Prescriptives foundation. First of all, the lightest color of every other makeup line is TOO dark for me. Prescriptives has the largest range of colors of all of the makeup lines, plus if you can''t find one that perfectly matches off of the shelf (which you should) they will custom blend one for you.

As a tip, make sure that you are REALLY hydrating your skin very well -- that will make a huge difference in how foundation goes on, and how it looks after hours of wear. Makeup for dry skin will not dry your skin out, only highlight any dryness that you already have. I would recommend dr. hauschka''s rose day cream, or philosophy''s hope in a jar (although the scent isn''t my absolute favorite, it does work well.)

Good luck!
35.gif
I didn''t thinkthe makeup was drying me out so much as because my skin is already dry I need one that will specifically help to moisturize it even more - hydrate it. the only time my face feels really hydrated is if I wash it and continue to put layers of "very dry" mositurizer on it every hour or so during the day - I mean come on that''s crazy LOL most of my face is okay but my cheeks and chin mostly my cheeks just get sooo dry - and not on the sides but where you would think they''d be oily!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
I usually use a moisturizer then after about 10 minutes I put on Color ID...usually does the trick.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cehra -- I too have super-dry skin. I swear by Chanel Double Perfection compact (http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/chanel/ChanelProductDetail.jsp?productID=MAFMU240). It is a foundation powder that uses a "non-drying" formula providing light coverage. I've found that liquid foundation just gathers in the creases of my skin and makes it look even drier, but a sheer powder foundation kind of "floats" on top of the skin, giving you good coverage and a more even skin tone. Plus, this one has SPF 10! And it stays on all day. (I would be careful of getting a foundation that gives you anything more than light-to-medium coverage, because anything more can make dry skin look super-cakey)

I moisturize with Aveeno Ultra-Calming Cream for sensitive/dry skin, followed by a light dusting of the Chanel powder. Voila! Perfectly even and smooth skin tone, natural and not made-up looking, and not a dry area in sight!

ETA: for light coverage, apply it dry with a brush. For more coverage, wet the sponge provided and apply that way.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2007 1:34:21 PM
Author: FireGoddess
I use MAC cosmetics. If that stuff can make RuPaul look like a woman, well, it should make me look like a rock star.
9.gif
rotflmao!
9.gif

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I think I know what you mean, Cehra. It''s like the foundation draws the moisture right out of your skin and then it looks like your skin is flaky and cracked. I really like Mabelline''s Age Rewind with BE Mineral Veil over it. I also really like the Olay Regenerist moisturizers and when I''m really dry I use the night cream during the day. It doesn''t make your make up come off, but it does keep your skin from drying out.

I''m with SanDiego Lady. I think the cheaper stuff works as well as some of the really expensive stuff.

I used to use Sheseido foundation -- it really gives a perfect photo finish. Then I had my kids and my face became the Sahara desert. I can''t use it anymore and it has literally taken years to find something decent to replace it.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
As others have said, you need to try different moisturizers first. My face can get extremely dry, so at night I use Cetaphil moisturizer for sensitive skin and a lighter moisturizer during the day. The cetaphil works wonders, and for around $8, you get an enormous pump! I also really liked MDSkincare''s moisturizer that came in a tub (forget the name), but it was well over $100!
39.gif
But if you have a Sephora near you, you could always get some and sample it too
2.gif

Once you get your skin more moisturized, then start sampling new foundations. Honestly, I''ve never found one I love, but there are many that work decently IMO. It just takes some time playing around with them!

Good luck!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2007 4:30:43 PM
Author: lumpkin
Then I had my kids and my face became the Sahara desert.
The same thiing happened to me!!! My skin was always oily/combo before I had kids (blotting paper was my best friend), but after my 2nd child, my skin did a 180 and turned ultra-dry. How common is this???

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
Although I''m usually pretty frugal (maybe "cheap" would be a better word
2.gif
), my skin is one of the things I splurge on. I''ve tried practically every foundation out there - including Bare Minerals, but that turned out to be too dry for me. My favorite was Armani Liquid Silk Foundation. It''s sheer enough to look natural but provides just enough coverage.

Then I read about SK-II''s Air Touch Foundation. It costs a whooping $150 (and $80 for a set of 2 refills) but it''s truly the best out there.

Try makeupalley.com - they have the most extensive beauty product reviews on the web. Good luck!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
My initial thought is that perhaps you are using something on your face that (unbeknownst to you) is excessively drying it out? Plus the cold outside and the indoor dry heat most of us are living with right now will dry out our skin, too.

I, too, totally recommend Paula Begoun - her stuff is awesome. Plus her advice, and reviews of other company''s products is really helpful, too. Check out her website, she has information and advice for your problem here:

http://www.paulabegoun.com/learn/art.asp?ID=140

And BTW -- today only (Valentine''s Day) there''s free shipping on any size order (no minimum order) - that''s a great way to try some stuff.

ETA: OOOPS! Forgot to answer your initial question! I, too, have dry VERY FAIR skin, and I use Lancome''s Renergie Lift Make-up, color: Porcelain 10NC. I have tried hundreds of foundations and this one is, by far, my favorite -- ever! Foundation is about the only thing I buy from a department store. The rest I get wherever - and lots of my stuff is from Paula.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
9.gif
ROFLOL!!! I use clinique city wear or streat wear. It is ver sheer to more coverage depending on how much you use. I love it and it has spf 15. I also use La Roche Posey SPF 50; now that stuff rocks. Everyone says I look younger than people my age and I credit La Roche for it's UVA fighting stuff in it!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2007 3:05:31 PM
Author: Ellen

9.gif
rotflmao!
9.gif

Ellen, both thought that was funny!!!!!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I like prescriptives foundation in champagne.

Giada

Shiny_Rock
I''ll second KD''s recommendation of Chanel Double Perfection powder compact. It is awesome stuff! I apply it with a foundation brush and it gives perfect light-medium coverage. When you first apply, it is a bit powdery in appearance, but within 20 minutes, it melts into your skin.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I have extremely pale skin and very dry skin - so much so it used to crack and go quite flaky.

However I started using Oil of Olay''s Regenerist Serum Moisturiser about 4 months ago and have seen an amazing transformation. My skin feels amazing, no dryness at all and no spots or cracks - loads of people have commented on how flawless my skin looks in the last two months - I''m so so happy!

I also use Max Factor makeup. Their panstick comes in very pale colours as does their foundation. I''ve been wearing it for years as have my mother and grandmother.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2007 10:39:49 AM
Author: SanDiegoLady
WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.... I did begin using BE mineral powder foundation, however, I began to break out pretty awfully.. so, I found Physicians Formula mineral powder foundation and I LOVE IT. It gives me better coverage and the array of colors are nicer with my skin. I found one (I''ll post the name of it later because I''m at ''work'' now. LOL) that I like, a beigey bisque color. Great coverage and very light. You also get more foundation for the price, the BE was 25. per pot and the Physicians Formula I am using is twice as much product for half the price of the BE, literally.

As far as moisturizer? I use a no brand name - Equate firming moisturizer. It like 8. at *gasp* Walmart.. yes girls, I use the cheap stuff. lol
2.gif
I love it, and its not heavy. I put it on in the morning after my shower & before I put on my foundation and before bed after I''ve washed my face. It works for me. :)

Good luck!! :)
san diego lady what is the name/color of the physician''s forumla you use...i''m wondering if it''s worth a try? Thanks!!

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
A topic so near and dear to me! My skin is just the *worst* for foundation, I swear. I''ve got red cheeks and pale skin that tends to be on the dry side, so I need something to help cover the red yet not be too heavy for my light skin or too cakey for my dry skin. OY.

I had been using BE and ... eh. So I got that other stuff they sell to give me "a child''s natural glow" or whatever they say, and still .... eh. I then went back to my Fresh Foundation, but that color is just too light for me, and I looked chalky. I have Smashbox''s cooling tinted moisturizer, and i like that, but it''s obviously very sheer.

So I went to MAC the other day and tried on a few different foundations and for me, as weird as this sounds, the best was the Face and Body Foundation! It''s pretty liquidy-light, so it goes on nice and sheer, but it''s buildable and "transfer-resistant" (that is, it stays on you, not on your clothes). I really like how it goes into the skin - doesn''t just sit on top of it and look so obvious (which some of the other MAC stuff did on me). ALso, the bottle is HUGE -- looks like a bottle of paint! -- so this stuff is going to last me forever.

M523_261.jpg

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I used to wear a Channel foundation. The fragrance drove me crazy - yuck! I''ve switched to Almay "Nearly Naked". I use Olay Reg Perfect cream, apply Nearly Naked & finish with a light powder. It has good coverage - yet is not too heavy.

...just what works for me!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results