shape
carat
color
clarity

Found this ring in secondhandshop

Vonniexx

Rough_Rock
Came across this ring in a second hand shop. Not my style so will be going on ebay.
Just wondering if anyone here knows what stone it is ect? Many thanks x 20191005_190159.jpg 20191005_183750.jpg 20191005_190147.jpg 20191005_183811.jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d say it’s Amethyst. Very pretty.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are going to put it on EBay they you need to pay or have some documentation about what it is etc.

We can’t tell from a picture.

Vonniexx

Rough_Rock
Can I not sell "as is" on ebay ?????

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I not sell "as is" on ebay ?????
You could, but stuff should go into categories and have a description. It could be glass, which is worthless. So not having any idea and selling on eBay isn't the best ideal IMHO

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You can sell as is, obviously that narrows your pool of potential buyers though.
What does the hallmark say? Amethyst is fairly inexpensive so that’s likely. Presuming you are in the UK from the box and your terminology - is it marked as 9ct or 18ct? If it’s 9ct I would guess that the halo might be cz, if it’s 18ct diamonds seem more likely. That is reasonable difference in value and attractiveness to buyers though I think lighter coloured pears probably have less of a premium that darker stones in traditional shapes.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First guess Amethyst, second guess synthetic sapphire.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We can give a best guess, sure. IMO looks like an amethyst.

But to properly ID it? no.

If you want to know for sure you do have some decent options. One is that you can send to AGL and have them do a check. it costs money but they do check set stones.

The 2nd would be that you go to a qualified gemologist or appraiser and have them look at it. most appraisers can tell if its a real or not so real stone as they have the toolset for that (make sure you go to one that specializes in colored stones)

Word of warning. if you sell it as is, make sure you have an as is price. If you sell it as natural stone, your buyer has it sent in to someone and its not, you could be royally screwed and have a bad mark against you on ebay. Not to mention having the ring returned and having to refund the customer.

Worst case scenario? Yes. But be aware it can and does happen.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I would think the halo (diamonds or not) would have a much bigger effect on value than the purple "stone". I had a GIA gemologist nearby that would look at things like this for a very reasonable cost (no written papers) and sometimes free. It would take her about 5 minutes.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sometimes buy jewelry to resell but I always have my gemologist vet it before listing, she usually charges a small amount ($10 per item) and it's worth the piece of mind as well as avoiding the buyer being disappointed. Clear conscience and all that, plus then you can price it appropriately.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Easiest thing is to find a pawnbroker or Jeweller with a Presidium gem tester. This easily identifies whether it is just coloured glass or amethyst (Quartz). Also can check if the white stones are diamonds or something else.
On eBay you can sell anything you like, call it anything you like and ask $$$ whatever you like BUT if the buyer disagrees with your description they can use the “not as described” reason for return.
So it’s best to accurately describe your item to avoid complaints and enforced return and refund to the buyer.
To avoid this scenario describe your ring as xxct gold (photograph hallmark and include in listing) and describe as a purple colour gemstone and clear gemstones. Obviously with this type of description buyers assume costume jewellery type and a price around $50. For say 14kt gold, Amethst and wee diamonds a few hundred dollars. So it’s worthwhile getting confirmation of the type of gemstones.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Peace not piece up there^

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results