shape
carat
color
clarity

Found my Alexandrite

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Responsible for many windowed alexandrite is often a combination of the crystalshape, the pleochroism and of course the price of the rough. Not an easy job for the cutter!

Look at the long cushion Yvonne offers. The table is vertical to the b-axis and in this direction you have the best daylight color. a-axis is vertical to the long side and would show the best incandescent light color, c-axis vertical to the short side.

These long ovals, pears or cushions are often single crystals or V shaped twins. And the are often very flat. Unfortunately!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1438548996|3910207 said:
Responsible for many windowed alexandrite is often a combination of the crystalshape, the pleochroism and of course the price of the rough. Not an easy job for the cutter!

Look at the long cushion Yvonne offers. The table is vertical to the b-axis and in this direction you have the best daylight color. a-axis is vertical to the long side and would show the best incandescent light color, c-axis vertical to the short side.

These long ovals, pears or cushions are often single crystals or V shaped twins. And the are often very flat. Unfortunately!

Marlow: can you say it in another way? I'm not sure I'm understanding it based on your description. Did you mean to say "vertical" or did you mean perpendicular?

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
perpendicular

rimshotsnap

Rough_Rock
I'm not sure if I should be thinking this way, but since I'm down to crunch time for choosing a stone, I was thinking about how to maximize the numbers of stones I get to see to give me the best odds of finding the best stone.

JharnaGems, the vendor who sold my my first alex stone (with the window), has a couple others for a bit more money that appear to be nicer stones:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-39-ct-GIA-CERTIFIED-NATURAL-ALEXANDRITE-TOP-QUALITY-COLOR-CHANGE-See-Video/281752386072?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D1f353e3299924b428b509019108ee4d7%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D271925151354
http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-97-Ct-GIA-CERTIFE-NATURAL-COLOR-CHANGE-ALEXANDRITE-PREFECT-CUTTING-OVAL-SINGLE-/271925151354

Both look to have better cuts than the one I bought: The CC is hard to tell because the lights they use are strong, though the GIA reports show deeper purple purples than for my original stone. The owner has been really pleasant to deal with and I'm sure would negotiate on price, so both stones would probably be in the ballpark of MC or even less. However, I don't want to mess around if it's not worth the trouble. Should I consider talking to the ebay shop owner, or just give up on this route entirely?

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I would avoid this vendor too.

Using a pic from another vendor means that you will def. not get what you see. So can you trust them?

Hardness 9 for alexandrite for example!! Not very professional imo.

Better the OP select the best one from Yvonne Raley and MC...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DianeM: thank you for the reminder about what the vendor did in terms of ahem, borrowing MC's photos. Absolutely not okay. Never, ever okay. Please avoid this vendor.

rimshotsnap

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reality check. Will do.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1438699936|3910995 said:
I would avoid this vendor too.
Using a pic from another vendor means that you will def. not get what you see. So can you trust them?
Hardness 9 for alexandrite for example!! Not very professional imo.
Better the OP select the best one from Yvonne Raley and MC...

+1 on all points above.

rimshotsnap

Rough_Rock
Alright everyone. So, I just got the stone from Multicolour today. I was really hoping for a slam dunk, and I regret to say that it's not. (Or maybe it's just me?) I'm mostly comparing it to my original eBay stone since they are of similar size and shape. Actually, they look very similar overall: In addition to size and shape, the daylight color is almost exactly the same. Both have a window though the MC stone's is definitely smaller. The color change isn't that different, either, though the MC stone has slightly less grey and a little more red/purple. So, a slight edge in cut and slight edge in CC (based on my naive comparison). But it's also nearly twice the price!

I've pasted pictures below including natural light and supplementing with an incandescent pen light. Again, I can appreciate how hard it is to capture these stones accurately, especially since I only have an iphone.

In real life, the color of all these stones is much more teal.

The pictures are bad, but I'd still love any comments on them. Overall, the MC stone is the nicest one I've seen, but I can't help but feel a little disappointed. I'm not sure it's $1600 better than the eBay stone, so it doesn't feel like a particularly good value. And part of my disappointment is that the pictures and video on the website look so different from the stone in person. I guess I expected more, which is on me. Now I need to decide if I keep one of these stones or go with something else. Part of me is thinking I should just forget alex get a nice blue sapphire or spinel. I'll lose the symbolism but at least I'm sure to get a gorgeous stone for a fraction of the price. And maybe save alex for when my bank account expands significantly.

I've only had a short time to look at the new stone, so I'll keep comparing in different lights and maybe my first impressions will change. I am always eager to hear your commentary!

img_8877.jpg

img_8878.jpg

img_8879.jpg

img_0076.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
To find several alexandrites with quite identical daylight color is no surprise. In alexandrite the incandescent color can vary a lot.

Both, chrome and vanadium, produce the green daylight color but only chrome is responsible for the CC. So the amount and ratio of chrome, vanadium and iron ( no influence on the CC but the brownish tone) is the key.

Of course a better change is a higher price per carat. MC has some gorgous stone but a very high price for them too - but this vendor has a lot of experience and his prices are fair - look at the lower prices.

Alexandrite is not and easy stone!

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

Sorry you are disappointed. 'Meh' gems (by which I mean gems to which your reaction is 'meh') very rarely if ever grow on you so your instinct to return them is right.

I think Marlow has it, to see more saturated colours (go down to 'Elements of Quality here to see difference between tone and saturation)
http://www.ruby-sapphire.com/r-s-bk-quality.htm

there is probably a price jump.

The other part of your post - did you consider a colour change sapphire? If you want something a little special.

They are blue in daylight and purple in incandescent.

These two are not fantastic to my eyes... if you like the principle other PSers will find you a lovely one.

Here is a not so hot but not bad one from gemfix @ $975. It is, in the third row across, the 8th one up from the bottom

http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_blue.html#thumb

Here is another. Not sure about the Reunigem lab but most certs will state 'color change sapphire' but this one states purple. Ask Dana if curious

http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=7726

Bit pricey, not a good cc:

http://www.africagems.com/sapphire-purple-ja212.html

Might be a little dark, not sure about the cc

http://jefferydavies.com/inventory/product/410-05100-sapphire-1-57ct

Archived stones that show cc

https://www.johndyergems.com/catalog_pages/gemstone-Sapphire1453.html

Scroll down for pics to exemplify what you would be looking for colourwise. This company has very mixed reviews, do a search:

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/blog/trace-elements-in-corundum-can-create-one-of-a-kind-sapphires

Then... you have colour change spinel...

He says this one's a little dark:

http://thegemtrader.com/June14CSSpinelPage.htm

See this rather impressive photo:

http://www.modernjeweler.com/print/Modern-Jeweler/Color-Change-Spinel/1$1007

Not sure if I've missed an update, but what happened with the Pala photos? Even phone shots are ok if you have them to post.

Anyway, all that said... I remember the first alex you bought from MC. In terms of trade ideal colour I think that is as close as you'd get in your price bracket, and you're right, it was pretty tiny. It's possible that within your budget you've seen the spectrum of possibilities, and none of them suit... or it's possible alex isn't the right stone for you...?

I know time is running short, but can you get to a gem show, and see the very 'best' alexes? ...and if you still don't really like them, that will close the case once and for all. OTOH, you may click your eye into what you are actually looking for, and try to replicate that in a smaller size.

Edited to say... your thread is called

Found my alexandrite

and includes this paragraph

'I was pretty nervous buying from eBay, but I received the stone today and love it. The video definitely uses strong lighting, but the color change is pretty striking teal to purple.'

You've noted it's not that different to other stones in hand and you got it at a fair price... maybe you want to move on from it, but if not, it's not out of the question to still use it, if that's what you want to do.

Edited again to add...

Did you pop down to your jeweller and plop a couple of your alex candidates in settings? (Just place it within the prongs to 'see', no need to set the gem). Just to see what they'd look like with e.g. a halo or cluster of diamonds around, or side diamonds, or solitaire, or whatever takes your fancy, then put the ring one of your fingers, maybe your little finger, and holding your hand steadily take it outside/to the window to view under different lighting [BALANCING IT VERY VERY CAREFULLY!!] (please post pics of the type of setting you'd like/inspiration settings, mostly because we're nosy tbh). Sometimes a gem comes to life in a setting and even if not it may give you inspiration as to what to do next gem-wise. Also they ought to have at least some sapphires in stock so you can see what you'd 'sacrifice' or 'gain' in the gem species move from chrysoberyl to corundum, and whether it's worth it to you or not.

rimshotsnap

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the replies!

Regarding Pala, I've been working with Carl (apparently the owner's son). He has told me he has a few stones and will be getting nice photos, but they just don't come. I've followed up on several occasions, and he has said he will check on the photographer. I sent a "time's running out" email last night, but based on my experience I'm not banking on anything. In any event, I'll post the iphone photos he sent me weeks ago. He also told me that they picked up some nice stones from New York and will probably have a few others to consider. I'm posting his description of the original photos he sent. Is it a faux pas to post prices? If others feel it's inappropriate, I will gladly remove them:

First we have an Emerald cut at 85 points. (0.85ctw) This stone shows fine color change with an exceptional reddish-purple.
This stone is $3000.00 pct totaling at $2,550.00
Second is a 45 point (0.45ctw) Oval which also has a very fine color change and nice luster. This stone has minor inclusions. but is very pretty.
This stone is $3400.00 pct totaling at $1530.00
Last we have a 52 point Oval with exceptional color change and high luster. This stone has larger amount of inclusions but they are hard to see without a loup.
This stone is $4000.00 pct totaling at $2,160.00

Sizes:
.85 5.5XYZ
.45 5.5x3.7x2.56
.52 5.4x4.5x3.3

img_9504.jpg

img_9497.jpg

rimshotsnap

Rough_Rock
I'm responding in pieces--pretty rushed today!

I'm definitely open to a CC sapphire. Or even a standard sapphire, for that matter, since I know my fiancee likes them. I confess that my mind is all over the place right now, so I'm probably not thinking as clearly as I usually do. I will digest all this information and regain my sanity soon, I promise! I definitely want to look at the alex in other lights. One downside to my jeweler is that he doesn't have many settings to play around with in person. Maybe I should go to a different jeweler and look at the stone a few settings to get a better sense. That's a great idea, actually. I think I'll do that after work today.

Regarding the setting, I don't have a great idea yet of what I want. I was waiting until I had my stone to sit down with my jeweler to work on some designs: He does everything from scratch (starting with a sketchbook), and does a great job incorporating motifs from our relationship. I do know my fiancee loves sparkle, so I'm thinking halo/pave for sure. Also etchwork. She describes her style as "classic, but unique," and has some Parisian flair. I saw this one from Veloura and it incorporates some of the elements I'm talking about. But obviously my stone would be smaller and I'm sure I'd modify the design a bit.

I've thought about adding some "hidden stones" with our birthstones. I have a small estate diamond I could use but don't feel too strongly about. Engraving for sure. If I went with alex, I would write something like "improbable." Maybe that works for other stones, too, and I have some other ideas as well.

Ok, have to run to work for now, but will be following this thread with great interest throughout the day. Thanks again for everything!

lana1.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the alexandrite looks like that IRL I'm not crazy about them. I think sentimentality is important in a ring, but as important in my opinion is the idea that this is a wearable object that needs to have aesthetic value as well as sentimental value

I think if she likes sapphires, they are a tad easier, a bit more in budget, and will result in a prettier ring at this point.

Just my two cents

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Agree with post above..........and while it's romantic to have a stone story.......you CAN create sentimentality in the design(s) of the ring. MIght be time to focus on a beautiful stone (which is it's own reflection of a beautiful relationship).......then move on to creating the story in the setting.....

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my god!!

3000-4000 pct for some small alexandrite and pictures like this.... :wall:

A high price is not a high quality.

I paid for an indian alexandrite ( and I love this stone) with a very strong CC and 0,31 ct 80 EURO!!! From a well respected vendor I know for a long time now.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/more-alexandrite-ohhh-noooo.214304/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/more-alexandrite-ohhh-noooo.214304/[/URL]

The small round ( 0,13 ct ) was 30 EURO and the square ( 0,57 ct ) from Litnon was 390 $.

rimshotsnap

Rough_Rock
I'm starting to come around to the idea of a different stone for all the reasons mentioned above. It stings a little though, given all the hope, time, energy, transaction costs, etc to come away without a stone. I'm grateful for how much I have learned from all of you about alex and gem buying in general.

I think sapphire is the way to go. I'm open to CC but I don't think it's a requirement. The stone has to be unique in some way. Ideally, a great stone with a unique (or just awesome) cut. Doesn't need to be huge and probably doesn't have to be the perfect cornflower blue, either. Perhaps I should start a new thread, since I'm basically hitting the reset button. I'm pretty nervous since time is running extremely short.

rimshotsnap

Rough_Rock
Marlow|1438967580|3912204 said:
Oh my god!!

I paid for an indian alexandrite ( and I love this stone) with a very strong CC and 0,31 ct 80 EURO!!! From a well respected vendor I know for a long time now.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/more-alexandrite-ohhh-noooo.214304/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/more-alexandrite-ohhh-noooo.214304/[/URL]

The small round ( 0,13 ct ) was 30 EURO and the square ( 0,57 ct ) from Litnon was 390 $.

Wow. I understand alex prices have risen a lot, but what surprises me is that it looks like you bought these stones fairly recently. just from the pictures (and it is hard to tell) I prefer those stones to anything I've seen. And at 1/5th of the price per ct or less? Seems like you got a great deal.

For someone like me who usually buys for value (on sale, clearance rack, extra coupon), it makes paying 3-4k per ct even tougher.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A couple of comments. Be careful about comparing Marlow's to yours. You have no idea what his looks like in hand compared to yours! You yourself said that what the photos are capturing is not as intense/saturated as you see in hand, correct? So knowing the difficulty first hand of capturing the true color of alexs, I will not venture an opinion at this point, but say trust yourself. If you think one is the best, than its the best. Alex are an odd stone in that 9 out of 10 times the concept of the dramatic color change is better than what is seen most of the time. I am not putting them down at all, its just that you are paying for a rare phenomenon; any color change (not shift) is rare so people buy for that in and of itself. If you want one that has fantastic, saturated colorways in addition to the dramatic color change, then its going to cost. Only you know whether these stones satisfy with respect to their colorways because we are not there to see them first hand.

I personally do not like the first one you bought from the ebay vendor due to the size of the window, but I think its great advice to take it into a jewelers and see how it closes up in settings (you would want one with a relatively closed gallery underneath the pavilion to help close up the window).

I guess what I'm trying to say is trust your gut. :))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok...so I have an idea.

Contact Jeff white .

Last I checked he had a vanadium chrysoberyl that he could cut in a kite shape (if I remember right) that he told me has a color shift from the vanadium to more of a classic chrysoberyl color. (So he describes. )

A color shift chrysoberyl isn't exactly an Alex but its close....and its an interesting shape. And it would be in budget

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
rimshotsnap|1438969627|3912214 said:
Marlow|1438967580|3912204 said:
Oh my god!!

Wow. I understand alex prices have risen a lot, but what surprises me is that it looks like you bought these stones fairly recently. just from the pictures (and it is hard to tell) I prefer those stones to anything I've seen. And at 1/5th of the price per ct or less? Seems like you got a great deal.

For someone like me who usually buys for value (on sale, clearance rack, extra coupon), it makes paying 3-4k per ct even tougher.

My pics are bad - but the stones have a very good to excellent color change. I want to show you that you have to expect a very good quality if you are willed to pay so much money.

The pics from Pala are unprofessional - just my opinion!

rimshotsnap

Rough_Rock
To be fair, Carl from Pala was in a hurry to catch a flight and told me he would send more professional photos later. To me, the unprofessional part has been never receiving those pictures even after a couple weeks and several attempts to follow up. I've just been left in a lurch. Oh well. Time to move on.

agingsparkle

Shiny_Rock
I think it might be worth checking with JuliaB on etsy -- she does a lot of sapphire and spinel, and will work with you on custom settings, etc. She has a lot of stones that aren't on her site, so you could ask what she has available. She has some very pretty violet sapphires already set. Yvonne Raley also does custom work and has access to a lot of sapphires, and I remember recently she did some work with colored melee for a halo that I thought was really unusual. Actually, JuliaB does that, too. Or you could do a "surprise" stone hidden to the side or underside of setting, maybe even a tiny alex?

Cognition

Rough_Rock
imo, you should not gave up after a few try if you think the representation of alexandrite is that important. I knew, a fine alex with the right price tag is really difficult to find. Guess what! I have been searching for The One alex for years, but I have not find one :boohoo: worse comes to worst, the price of alex is hitting the roof! That being said, I think of it as the beauty of gems collecting.

my advise, if you are willing to wait til next year, you shall visit the Tucson 2016, it going to be held somewhere in... Feb?

GL

rimshotsnap

Rough_Rock
Cognition: Thank you for your perspective. I agree that the symbolism is important and don't want to give up. Given my timing (this is an international engagement, and my proposal date is already set!), I have to start building a ring now to have SOMETHING to give her. An earlier poster suggested I hide a tiny alex somewhere in the ring. I am absolutely going to do that, to keep some of the symbolism still there. And I love your suggested of going to tucson: I will plan to do that anyway (since I love gems), and make it a goal to find an alex. I can always make it up to her with a nicer piece of jewelry later :)

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
A tiny alex - nice - think MC offers small princess cut!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the way this is done. The side view is great and would be a really cool way of incorporating an Alex on both sides. Whether that's a round like this or two little bezeled kite set princesses. Particularly if you did a plain shank halo

http://vramjewelry.com/product/iris-round/

screenshot_2015-08-11-16-56-49_1.jpg

Luca_diamonds

Rough_Rock
Hi ,
I agree the description is not so professional but the seller is very reputable . The seller has huge stock of alexandrite's and had sold a 20 ct cushion cut alexandrite in the past .

-Happy customer of jharna gems

drruby

Shiny_Rock
Congrats on wanting something other than common carbon for an e-ring

I looked at the certificate and also the ebay auction, VVS1 is not any grade issued by GIA for a CG, and no one that deals in major CG stones would say any CG was VVS1. So that's more dealer hype than anything in reality. But Alexandrite is usually much cleaner than other CG.

The GIA report actually has two images showing the large variation in color of you stone.

I often think the GIA is missing a new treatment that seems obvious to me on the newer CG reports they issue, the reason I say that is the weight of most new GIA CG reports is way off. You size stone should be only .80 carats not 1.0 carats.

Nothing in the measurements indicate to me that your stone should be 25% heavier than 'normal'.

I'm seeing the same type of issues on many new GIA 'ruby' reports that indicate no treatment of any type, yet the size of the stones defy SG ranges (specific gravity).

So why are so many CG's now certified by GIA as having no treatment all defying scientific formulas to determine approximate weights based on simple measuring information.

There could be a major new CG enhancement that the GIA is not yet able to detect and that would make all these newer CG cert's incorrect, a stone this size should not weigh this much IMO.

It's why I rarely touch any CG with a GIA certificate, once a dealer tags a stone with approved by GIA, that's it, no matter you say doesn't matter, it's the GIA. Okay GIA explain why this stone that appears to be within normal cutting ranges is 25% heavier than SG charts show it should be. MAYBE 5% to 10% could be explaine minor digital caliper measuring error, etc. But the stone should be .80 Ct for this size and it's 1.00 ct.

That's a .25% variance from the .80 ct range SG charts indicate it should be.

Enjoy your stone, but the weight is off IMO.

Cognition

Rough_Rock
drruby|1441109583|3922035 said:
Congrats on wanting something other than common carbon for an e-ring

I looked at the certificate and also the ebay auction, VVS1 is not any grade issued by GIA for a CG, and no one that deals in major CG stones would say any CG was VVS1. So that's more dealer hype than anything in reality. But Alexandrite is usually much cleaner than other CG.

The GIA report actually has two images showing the large variation in color of you stone.

I often think the GIA is missing a new treatment that seems obvious to me on the newer CG reports they issue, the reason I say that is the weight of most new GIA CG reports is way off. You size stone should be only .80 carats not 1.0 carats.

Nothing in the measurements indicate to me that your stone should be 25% heavier than 'normal'.

I'm seeing the same type of issues on many new GIA 'ruby' reports that indicate no treatment of any type, yet the size of the stones defy SG ranges (specific gravity).

So why are so many CG's now certified by GIA as having no treatment all defying scientific formulas to determine approximate weights based on simple measuring information.

There could be a major new CG enhancement that the GIA is not yet able to detect and that would make all these newer CG cert's incorrect, a stone this size should not weigh this much IMO.

It's why I rarely touch any CG with a GIA certificate, once a dealer tags a stone with approved by GIA, that's it, no matter you say doesn't matter, it's the GIA. Okay GIA explain why this stone that appears to be within normal cutting ranges is 25% heavier than SG charts show it should be. MAYBE 5% to 10% could be explaine minor digital caliper measuring error, etc. But the stone should be .80 Ct for this size and it's 1.00 ct.

That's a .25% variance from the .80 ct range SG charts indicate it should be.

Enjoy your stone, but the weight is off IMO.

apologize for my reply before. you definitely have more knowledge than the rest of us. Please guide us. We eager to learn more from you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results