carat
color
clarity

For Those With Bad Backs...

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
ok grossness warning:
Lots of fiber and or prune juice. Straining puts a ton of pressure on your back.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was waiting to post until I had a better idea of how my new purchase was going to work out. I have a terrible low back issue and nerve damage in my right leg (no feeling on the back from hip to foot). The pain flares up at times but getting a good nights sleep has been my biggest problem. I finally purchased an adjustable bed to see if it would help rather than the pillow between or under my knees. I am sleeping much better! The zero g position is great. The only thing I have ever liked about being in the hospital is the beds. =)2 I didn't want to fork out a ton of $ if it wasn't going to help so I bought a very basic one on Amazon to try first ($350). We will probably end up getting a king with separate adjustments in the future but for right now DH is willing to sleep at whatever adjustment I need in our queen. I didn't need a new mattress either because the one we have worked.

I hope you get some relief @House Cat because back issues are so debilitating both physically and mentally. :kiss2:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a pilates reformer and if my back gets bad I get serious about it. LOL. Exercise in general helps except one thing. Housecleaning. My back is always tied in knots when I clean the whole house in one day. I think it is leaning over the bathtubs that does it. I always end up taking AdvilPM and it is usually a bit better by morning. We have a rather tall bed and when I cleaned this week I could barely get in it and had to slide out of it and stand up slowly. I either need a smaller house or I need to do it over multiple days.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this already but posture makes a huge difference for me. When I am not sitting up straight or standing up straight I feel tension and strain in my back. For me the correct posture definitely helps. Of course that could be a chicken and egg type of issue though.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the exercises. I will try them.

@redwood66 It’s funny you mention the adjustable bed because my recliner chair is the only place where I have absolutely no pain. It puts me in a position of weightlessness. I think I’m going to have to consider an adjustable bed in the future.

My posture is horrible! I always tell myself to sit up or stand up straight, but it never lasts..

I start physical therapy tomorrow. I have a frozen shoulder that was caused by nerve pain from my neck. I have to unfreeze that before I can start yoga.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@House Cat
As much as I hate it, I notice more pain on the days I wear cowboy boots with a heel. The flatter ones don't give me any pain. I have been wearing a low heel Bed Stu pair and feel great. My Old Gringos are only worn on days I won't be on my feet as much or dealing with the back pain at the end of the day feels worth it to sport my favorite roach killers! :P2

Hope you find some relief soon!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@House Cat I am so sorry you are dealing with all of this! I’ve had back problems for 20 years (stemming from carrying a very heavy laptop bag on one shoulder all the time). I slipped a disc and my parents found me passed out of the floor (from pain).

I’ve done both PT and Chiro and found the Chiro is faster in getting me out of agony. I agree with working to strengthen your core and maybe all of the comments about yoga will (finally) push me to try it....I find it hard to clear my mind for any length of time, much less bend and reach my toes, lol!

Hope that you get some relief soon! There’s nothing more debilitating than chronic pain!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HC, I have a curve in my spine that causes one of my dics to herniate if I move in juuuuust the wrong way. Aside from working out, which I have learned is absolutely key, I also have a "brace" that I ordered off of Amazon a few years ago. Honestly, I don't think the thing has enough rigidity/structure to prevent anything, but the thing it does do is makes me conscious of the way I move when I'm wearing it. I can't recall one single household chore I've done with it on where I've hurt myself, but I can make a list of all the times I did without it by mopping the floor, making the bed, and other basic things. Let me know if you want a link and I'll be happy to dig it up. It was not expensive at all and it's made a world of difference for me. Plus it's a snazzy blue color that look good with my sapphire ring! :cheeky:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@House Cat
As much as I hate it, I notice more pain on the days I wear cowboy boots with a heel. The flatter ones don't give me any pain. I have been wearing a low heel Bed Stu pair and feel great. My Old Gringos are only worn on days I won't be on my feet as much or dealing with the back pain at the end of the day feels worth it to sport my favorite roach killers! :P2

Hope you find some relief soon!
I experience this too. I need to shop for a couple of pairs that have a much lower heel. All of my boots have a pretty standard heel, nothing too crazy, but it’s just enough to make my back hurt if I wear them all day.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HC, I have a curve in my spine that causes one of my dics to herniate if I move in juuuuust the wrong way. Aside from working out, which I have learned is absolutely key, I also have a "brace" that I ordered off of Amazon a few years ago. Honestly, I don't think the thing has enough rigidity/structure to prevent anything, but the thing it does do is makes me conscious of the way I move when I'm wearing it. I can't recall one single household chore I've done with it on where I've hurt myself, but I can make a list of all the times I did without it by mopping the floor, making the bed, and other basic things. Let me know if you want a link and I'll be happy to dig it up. It was not expensive at all and it's made a world of difference for me. Plus it's a snazzy blue color that look good with my sapphire ring! :cheeky:
If it isn’t too much trouble, I am definitely interested in that brace. My back is always killing me after housework. I’ve been avoiding it lately...

That brace would be really helpful. Thank you!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HC, It looks like the one I got isn't available any more, but here is the info.

https://www.amazon.com/Back-Support-Belt-Herniated-Supporter/dp/B01ES8AEUU

The pic doesn't really explain what's going on -- it's a piece of neoprene with plastic "stays" in it and velcro on each end. You wrap it around yourself and velcro one way, then velcro the other way (if that makes sense). It really stays in place.

If you look at the "sponsored products related to this item" options at the bottom of the page there are some other choices in the same vein. This one is quite a bit wider than the one I have but may be a good alternative.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B9NP8Z...d_r=d814bcca-3e89-11e9-9b21-9156a1fa947a&th=1

The key for me with the one I've got is positioning; I have to make sure I get it low enough, otherwise it ends up at my waist and I need it more at my hips. Because this one is bigger it may be easier to put it in a good position.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HC, It looks like the one I got isn't available any more, but here is the info.

https://www.amazon.com/Back-Support-Belt-Herniated-Supporter/dp/B01ES8AEUU

The pic doesn't really explain what's going on -- it's a piece of neoprene with plastic "stays" in it and velcro on each end. You wrap it around yourself and velcro one way, then velcro the other way (if that makes sense). It really stays in place.

If you look at the "sponsored products related to this item" options at the bottom of the page there are some other choices in the same vein. This one is quite a bit wider than the one I have but may be a good alternative.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B9NP8Z...d_r=d814bcca-3e89-11e9-9b21-9156a1fa947a&th=1

The key for me with the one I've got is positioning; I have to make sure I get it low enough, otherwise it ends up at my waist and I need it more at my hips. Because this one is bigger it may be easier to put it in a good position.
Thank you! I’m going to order the second one today.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just had surgery and while it's still healing, it's already very improved. HOWEVER, I know that if it starts bothering me again, I will likely have to have a more extensive procedure, and that procedure did NOT work for my aunt or my coworker's wife, who have both had it.

I didn't mind Pilates, but I would rather stab myself in the throat than do Yoga.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Google foundation training. There is a 12 minute you tube video (3 guys) and people swear by this.

Wait, here it is

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I do about 60 000 miles of driving each year, lately I'd been having some back pain and decided to try a Thai full body massage on Sunday.

Apart from having a Thai lady crawl on my back like a monkey and the horrid feeling of about 50 knots getting worked out of my muscles - it's done wonders for me. The last couple days I've felt more limber and flexible than normal and hauling around my day job equipment is a bit easier.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results