shape
carat
color
clarity

For those who've upgraded, how did you handle it @ work?

dogmama

Shiny_Rock
I'm in the process of upgrading, and will get the finished piece in a month or so. In the interim, I've become really nervous about the reactions of my coworkers. I am one of the youngest and will likely be sporting the largest rock. I want to enjoy it, but i also dont want to make anyone feel uncomfortable or seemed spoiled. I've kept completely quiet thus far, so it'll definitely be news. : /

Have any of you fellow upgraders dealt with an awkward comments/reactions when you "debuted" your new stone?

How did you handle it?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I upgraded my ring at the end of last school year. (I'm an educator.)

I didn't think about any of the concerns you mention in your post. My mentor is a huge fan of jewelery and diamonds, so I told her all about the upgrade and she even looked at my pictures in my SMTB thread. Aaaaaand . . . that was about it. A couple people have since said nice things about my ring, but nothing else has happened.

What are you concerned might happen? I really don't think you should worry about how your personal choices might make others feel, as that is really their issue and not yours. And honestly, an upgrade is a huge thing to you, but my guess is most people won't even notice. (And if they do, they'll forget about it very quickly.)

I can't wait to see your SMTB thread!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I heard a wonderful saying once, What other people think of me is none of my business.
Your diamond has nothing to do with other people.

Please do not let fear attenuate your life.

You will spend more time dead than alive on this planet so enjoy your upgrade so please, just bulldoze forward.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1313707729|2993766 said:
I heard a wonderful saying once, What other people think of me is none of my business.

You will spend more time dead than alive on this planet so enjoy your upgrade so please bulldoze forward.
agree!!.. :appl: :appl: Hmmm,maybe i shouldn't drive my $100K Mercedes to work... ::)

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

You will spend more time dead than alive on this planet so enjoy your upgrade so please bulldoze forward.

Couldn't agree more. Honestly some will notice and say something, others will notice and not say anything, and some won't even notice. Tell them what you want to tell them- you really don't have to explain yourself to anyone :)

dogmama

Shiny_Rock
Haven|1313707710|2993765 said:

I didn't think about any of the concerns you mention in your post. My mentor is a huge fan of jewelery and diamonds, so I told her all about the upgrade and she even looked at my pictures in my SMTB thread. Aaaaaand . . . that was about it. A couple people have since said nice things about my ring, but nothing else has happened.

What are you concerned might happen? I really don't think you should worry about how your personal choices might make others feel, as that is really their issue and not yours. And honestly, an upgrade is a huge thing to you, but my guess is most people won't even notice. (And if they do, they'll forget about it very quickly.)

Haven! I'm a 5th grade special Ed teacher. : ) I was really worried that some of the older teachers on my grade would pooh-pooh my decision, since I've only had my ring for 4.5 years. And it's a rather dramatic upgrade. LOL.

I actually wasn't going to post in the SMTB thread. Already feeling self-conscious! :rolleyes: I may reconsider it when all is said and done though. :bigsmile:

dogmama

Shiny_Rock

Love this! It certainly does put everything into perspective.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
NOOOOO! You MUST share your upgrade with us! We NEEEEEEEEED IT!

You're Lily the Spitfire! Spitfires aren't self-conscious! They tell the world "This is who I am, these are my choices, and I own it all!"

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just enjoy the rock Lily, and don't worry if your co-workers are bugged or jealous. They might actually just be happy for you!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lily...wear it and flaunt it.. :!:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
lilythespitfire|1313709236|2993785 said:
Haven|1313707710|2993765 said:

Haven! I'm a 5th grade special Ed teacher. : ) I was really worried that some of the older teachers on my grade would pooh-pooh my decision, since I've only had my ring for 4.5 years. And it's a rather dramatic upgrade. LOL.

I actually wasn't going to post in the SMTB thread. Already feeling self-conscious! :rolleyes: I may reconsider it when all is said and done though. :bigsmile:

Pish-posh!! Post a thread in SMTR!!! No reason to feel self conscious!

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
Haven|1313709678|2993792 said:

You're Lily the Spitfire! Spitfires aren't self-conscious! They tell the world "This is who I am, these are my choices, and I own it all!"

Well said, Haven!

dogmama

Shiny_Rock
luv2sparkle|1313709937|2993798 said:
Just enjoy the rock Lily, and don't worry if your co-workers are bugged or jealous. They might actually just be happy for you!

99% will be genuinely excited, and 1% will be difficult. But you're right, I am going to psych myself up before I go into work that day. :)

dogmama

Shiny_Rock
Haven|1313709678|2993792 said:

LOL I usually am very much my name. But something this flashy has me hesitant. Haven, I am going to stick to my guns. I've never been particularly meek, why start now? :devil:

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I didn't receive any negative reactions at work. People who noticed (and said something) were all very positive. If others noticed and didn't say anything, well, I didn't notice.

Enjoy your upgrade and don't worry what other people think. It's YOUR ring!!!!

And we will require pictures, btw! :wink2:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it may depend on the size of your workplace, but almost no one even noticed my upgrade. I really don't think people care. Just don't mention it, and if someone compliments you, just say "thanks"!!!

dogmama

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1313713813|2993847 said:
I think it may depend on the size of your workplace, but almost no one even noticed my upgrade. I really don't think people care. Just don't mention it, and if someone compliments you, just say "thanks"!!!

Yup, that was the route I was going for. I figured that might be more of a low key way for me to enjoy my ring every day at work!
Hope it works! LOL. I have a crazy one-upper at work who will likely start in on me as soon as she catches sight of it. :errrr: but I'm running like hell in the opposite direction after the requisite grilling I expect to endure. Girding my loins people!

dogmama

Shiny_Rock
Lil Misfit|1313713583|2993842 said:
I didn't receive any negative reactions at work. People who noticed (and said something) were all very positive. If others noticed and didn't say anything, well, I didn't notice.

Enjoy your upgrade and don't worry what other people think. It's YOUR ring!!!!

And we will require pictures, btw! :wink2:

Is that peer pressure I sense? :Up_to_something: I always tell my kids to rise above it, but somehow I don't think I can in this forum. LOL.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
When they asked I told them it was the step-up model.

dogmama

Shiny_Rock
Lulu that's awesome! Lmao!

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats Lily -please show pictures when it comes - just enjoy it, and don't expect too much of a reaction......at first... people are polite.

I upgraded and was very self conscious in the office for at least a year--- But- not one word from anyone in the office , until I completely forgot about it, - now my colleagues warmed up, come by to try it on, corner me in office to examine it under lights - ask all sorts of questions, and generally make really nice comments. I've had colleagues come in say, OK, take it off, give it up, I've got to see this thing---

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Go for it and enjoy it. There's someone in my office who has a beautiful wedding set, and I think it's really great that her husband got her something so awesome.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
If YOU don't make a big deal out of your jewelry at work, showing off, saying "Look what I got!", chances are no one will give it much thought.

Problem solved. Or averted. Whatever.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't mention it at all, if someone notices just act like nothing changed or that you got a new setting.

No one I work with would even notice, they don't pay any attention to anything really, especially not that. I didn't really say anything to anyone when I got my replacement ering which was about 1/3 ct larger than my other.

dogmama

Shiny_Rock
gardengloves|1313717835|2993888 said:
Congrats Lily -please show pictures when it comes - just enjoy it, and don't expect too much of a reaction......at first... people are polite.

I upgraded and was very self conscious in the office for at least a year--- But- not one word from anyone in the office , until I completely forgot about it, - now my colleagues warmed up, come by to try it on, corner me in office to examine it under lights - ask all sorts of questions, and generally make really nice comments. I've had colleagues come in say, OK, take it off, give it up, I've got to see this thing---

SERIOUSLY?! Wow! I'd be afraid that they'd drop it and chip the girdle. LOL. You're a far better woman than I! But I'm glad to hear that they took it all in stride.

dogmama

Shiny_Rock
HollyS|1313719523|2993912 said:
If YOU don't make a big deal out of your jewelry at work, showing off, saying "Look what I got!", chances are no one will give it much thought.

I don't make a big deal out of much of anything. LOL. So this would be a stealth mission as I'm eager to avoid any sort of negative reactions. ;))

dogmama

Shiny_Rock
pregcurious|1313718564|2993896 said:
Go for it and enjoy it. There's someone in my office who has a beautiful wedding set, and I think it's really great that her husband got her something so awesome.

Thanks!

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
When I first got engaged I didn't have the confidence to go in to work and say 'hey I'm engaged!' despite the fact that I loved my colleagues and they would have been really happy for me - I just didn't know how to say it. I managed to go for a whole week with no one noticing because they weren't looking for anything new but they were thrilled told me off for not telling them. Most people won't notice and if they do then great - smile, look them directly in the eye and say yes I upgraded or thanks for the compliment or whatever the response is. People can only make you feel bad if you let them. Wear the new upgrade with pride (and please show us!).

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I would definitely wear it. If anyone makes inappropriate comments, it's just a reflection of their issues and not you.

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
HollyS|1313719523|2993912 said:

I upgraded from a solitaire to a 3 stone about 3 years ago and never said anything and no one at my former workplace ever said anything if they noticed. I should be getting my ring back today after upgrading my centre stone to a wee bit larger one and a much higher clarity one and I am telling no one as it feels like it is a really self-indulgent thing that I am somewhat embarrassed about. Those inclusions bugged me tho but no one else ever noticed them so I am totally aware this was just for me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results