shape
carat
color
clarity

For the relationship

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
After spending lots on the ring and going over budget on the wedding plans, my sweetheart heard Dr Phil say couples should invest more $ and time in creating a strong relationship rather than the wedding day
emcrook.gif

Net, she signed us up for a weekend couples workshop we attended the past weekend by a Dr. John Gottman.

I give the workshop 5 stars and recommend you read his book if you can''t attend. What''s unusual is that his advice and insights are based on research.

Coming up to the wedding, we''ve experienced a lot of stress on some issues. One key take away was learning that even in happy marriages, 60% of their issues are perpetual and won''t be clearly solved. Insights such as this along with practical guidance on how to cope was very refreshing.

The Gottman Institute: http://www.gottman.com
Book: The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Todd,
Sounds like you have yourself a wise Fiance! Marriage is both the best and most difficult thing I''ve ever done in my life. My amazing husband and I have been married a little over 15 years and it''s been one wild ride. You can''t go into a marriage thinking either party will change or hope to change them. You have to love and respect your partner and sometimes agree to disagree. Unfortunately the main thing couples will struggle over are issues regarding money. If you can tackle that one early on, then you are way ahead of the game. Congrats on your upcoming wedding and wonderful life ahead
35.gif

PS. That "perpetual" thing is pretty much on target.
Date: 2/7/2005 10:35
6.gif
7 PM
Author:Todd07
After spending lots on the ring and going over budget on the wedding plans, my sweetheart heard Dr Phil say couples should invest more $ and time in creating a strong relationship rather than the wedding day
emcrook.gif

Net, she signed us up for a weekend couples workshop we attended the past weekend by a Dr. John Gottman.

I give the workshop 5 stars and recommend you read his book if you can''t attend. What''s unusual is that his advice and insights are based on research.

Coming up to the wedding, we''ve experienced a lot of stress on some issues. One key take away was learning that even in happy marriages, 60% of their issues are perpetual and won''t be clearly solved. Insights such as this along with practical guidance on how to cope was very refreshing.

The Gottman Institute: http://www.gottman.com
Book: The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like a great workshop, thanks for sharing that.

One question, where have you been??
9.gif

flags

Rough_Rock
What about the other three years?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2005 3:43:48 AM
Author: flags
I''m sure it was a long searching of the soul time to understand the concept of "Yes dear, and do as I please".
28.gif
9.gif

I''m a big believer in pre-marriage counciling. If not for any reason, it''s a dose of reality. One doesn''t get married and have perpetual marriage bliss. You are a partner with someone who is different than you.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2005 9:51:53 AM
Author: fire&ice
Date: 2/8/2005 3:43:48 AM

Author: flags

I''m sure it was a long searching of the soul time to understand the concept of ''Yes dear, and do as I please''.
28.gif
9.gif

I''m a big believer in pre-marriage counciling. If not for any reason, it''s a dose of reality. One doesn''t get married and have perpetual marriage bliss. You are a partner with someone who is different than you.

As somebody else about to set out on the journey of married life, I totally agree Todd, f&i, and everybody. I was so glad that our church started requiring pre-marital classes, although we would have signed up anyways. I am very aware of the fact that I''ve got my rose-tinted glasses on when it comes to thoughts of what our marriage will be like, but I think that we''ll also be prepared to work together through whatever life throws at us.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results