shape
carat
color
clarity

For Shame! Trump Orders "USS John S McCain" Hidden.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look how Donald Trump observed the Memorial Day weekend: he ordered the ship, named after Senator McCain; his father; and his grandfather, to be hidden during his visit to Japan so that it would not appear in any photographs of him.

"The White House asked the Navy to hide a destroyer named after Senator John McCain in order to avoid having the ship appear in photographs taken while President Trump was visiting Japan this week, White House and military officials said Wednesday.

Although Navy officials insisted they did not hide the ship, the John S. McCain, they did give all of the sailors aboard the day off on Tuesday as Mr. Trump visited Yokosuka Naval Base.

Two Navy sailors, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly, said that the McCain sailors were not invited to hear Mr. Trump speak that day aboard the amphibious assault ship Wasp, while sailors from other American warships at the base were.

A Navy service member based on Yokosuka said that all of the American warships in the harbor were invited to send 60 to 70 sailors to hear Mr. Trump’s address, with the exception of the McCain. When several sailors from the McCain showed up anyway, wearing their uniforms with the ship’s insignia, they were turned away, the service member said.

White House aides, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not permitted to speak publicly, confirmed the request was made but said that Mr. Trump did not know about it. A United States official said on Wednesday that the White House sent an email to the Navy with the request on May 15."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/29/us/politics/uss-mccain-navy-ship.html

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
John McCain and Trump’s Narcissism: A Clash at Sea
The White House coddles the president, even by disparaging a warship, its crew and a Navy hero.

merlin_155628957_35ad21c6-4865-41e4-afa9-966ac6536d14-articleLarge.jpg

"For the White House staff, a United States Navy destroyer and its crew command less respect than the president’s fragile ego.

During his trip to Japan this week, President Trump was given a tour of the Yokosuka Naval Base. In preparation for his visit on Tuesday, the White House had requested that the Navy hide the U.S.S. John S. McCain, a destroyer bearing the name of the senator and Trump nemesis who died last August. Sailors aboard the ship were given the day off and, unlike colleagues from other vessels, pointedly not invited to attend Mr. Trump’s speech aboard another warship. Sailors from the McCain who showed up anyway, with the ship’s name on their uniforms or caps, were turned away.

When news of the effort became public, Mr. Trump responded — first on Twitter and later to reporters — that he’d had nothing to do with the decision. He probably didn’t. He nonetheless acknowledged his enduring dislike of Mr. McCain and praised whoever had been responsible for the ship kerfuffle as 'well-meaning.'

Mr. Trump seems to think that blaming an overzealous aide for the incident makes things better and absolves him of any responsibility.

In reality, it makes things worse. It seems we have reached a point where the president of the United States is considered such a snowflake by his own staff that they tripped over themselves to avoid having him even see the name of someone he didn’t like — a Navy hero tortured in a North Vietnamese prison while the future president’s bone spurs kept him out of the service — that was inconveniently emblazoned on a destroyer within his line of sight."

For more about the implications to the nation about how delicately Trump has to be handled by White House personnel, go to the article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/30/opinion/donald-trump-john-mccain-navy-ship.html

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be fair (and I hate being fair to Trump, the man is a scumbucket of the highest order) it was his staff that ordered the McCain to be "hidden"'. What's most troubling to me is the politicization of the military.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
John McCain and Trump’s Narcissism: A Clash at Sea
The White House coddles the president, even by disparaging a warship, its crew and a Navy hero.

merlin_155628957_35ad21c6-4865-41e4-afa9-966ac6536d14-articleLarge.jpg

"For the White House staff, a United States Navy destroyer and its crew command less respect than the president’s fragile ego.

During his trip to Japan this week, President Trump was given a tour of the Yokosuka Naval Base. In preparation for his visit on Tuesday, the White House had requested that the Navy hide the U.S.S. John S. McCain, a destroyer bearing the name of the senator and Trump nemesis who died last August. Sailors aboard the ship were given the day off and, unlike colleagues from other vessels, pointedly not invited to attend Mr. Trump’s speech aboard another warship. Sailors from the McCain who showed up anyway, with the ship’s name on their uniforms or caps, were turned away.

When news of the effort became public, Mr. Trump responded — first on Twitter and later to reporters — that he’d had nothing to do with the decision. He probably didn’t. He nonetheless acknowledged his enduring dislike of Mr. McCain and praised whoever had been responsible for the ship kerfuffle as 'well-meaning.'

Mr. Trump seems to think that blaming an overzealous aide for the incident makes things better and absolves him of any responsibility.

In reality, it makes things worse. It seems we have reached a point where the president of the United States is considered such a snowflake by his own staff that they tripped over themselves to avoid having him even see the name of someone he didn’t like — a Navy hero tortured in a North Vietnamese prison while the future president’s bone spurs kept him out of the service — that was inconveniently emblazoned on a destroyer within his line of sight."

For more about the implications to the nation about how delicately Trump has to be handled by White House personnel, go to the article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/30/opinion/donald-trump-john-mccain-navy-ship.html
:angryfire:

This is so disgraceful. I can not understand how any veteran (or American) can be OK with this behavior, both by him and those enabling him.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The idiots in the WH that planned this should lose their jobs. I am glad the higher ups in Yokosuka at least made better decisions. The sailors should never have been turned away.

If Trump doesn't fix this kind of crap then he gets the bad press he deserves.

Last edited:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My kids were both stationed at Yokosuka and think this was terrible. They feel for the sailors of the McCain, especially the ones turned away as they were likely Trump supporters. Volun-told situations happen all the time but this was probably not one of them.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well we knew that jealousy was real. I swear he's a 13 year old with a grudge....

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It doesn't appear that Trump ordered the ship hidden. He is a special man-baby snowflake who continues to be triggered by McCain. He requires safe space at all times and if he doesn't get it he has his man-baby tantrums which prevent people who are trying to do their jobs from doing them.

I do not for one moment feel sorry for SUPPORTERS who are affected by his childishness, racism, misogyny, stupidity, or tragically poor business sense. The soldiers, farmers and all others who voted for him gave the rest of us a dim-witted arsehole for a president. Let them reflect upon their misdeed and do better next time.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I first heard this story I thought this was probably done to prevent Trump from having a melt down if he happened to see McCain’s name on the ship. He would have spent the day tweeting terrible things about McCain instead of Biden.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I first heard this story I thought this was probably done to prevent Trump from having a melt down if he happened to see McCain’s name on the ship. He would have spent the day tweeting terrible things about McCain instead of Biden.

I believe this was the case, although, of course, I have no inside information and therefore cannot swear that Donald Trump did not order the ship hidden himself. Commentators (who may be wrong) keep saying that Trump's staff hates dealing with him when he becomes enraged. Commentators have also said that even world leaders have commented on not wanting to get him angry. Secretary Nielsen (former Homeland Secretary Nielsen) was told not to bring up the topic of Russian interference in US elections with Trump lest he become angry. Surely being unable to discuss foreign interference in US elections would hamper the job of the Homeland Security Secretary. I believe that Trump is feared because he is ruling like an absolute monarch. Like some boy king he can order his every boyish whim indulged, whether it is the execution of a teacher he does not like or something like a huge parade he wants staged. Imagine him as a child ordering knights to fight to the death for his pleasure! He would watch on from the stands licking a lollipop.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The WH staff who make decisions like this because they don't want to deal with Trump are not helping anything or anyone. This was just stupid. I am sure he is a PITA to deal with but this was asinine and they should be gone. He should do his part by not making things worse.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you really think Trump. was upset by them covering McCain’s name in the ship @redwood66 . I’m sure this whole fiasco made Trumps day. They were probably rewarded for doing this.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you really think Trump. was upset by them covering McCain’s name in the ship @redwood66 . I’m sure this whole fiasco made Trumps day. They were probably rewarded for doing this.
I won't assume anything about what Trump thinks.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps his staff hid the boat because they know how incredibly distasteful it would be to have Trump denigrating a war hero on Memorial Day. Of course, that's what happened in the end anyway.....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results