shape
carat
color
clarity

Foods: which do you feel you could eat every day, and which would be an occasional splurge or craving?

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you were doomed to eat it every day for forever, I'd almost certainly pick super simple stuff like salads with sliced grilled meat.

We routinely eat Japanese or Cantonese at least 3 - 4 days a week. As singapore has an eat out culture -- and this is asia so the asian food is good. So I guess this would be ok too. After so many years like this (we even ate out every night for 5 years or so -- almst always japanese, or chinese cuisine) I dont think our tastes will change even if we move elsewhere.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love (loved, maybe?) a whole bunch of things I no longer eat. I started a strict keto diet at the beginning of the year and have felt SO much better, I have no temptation to break it or to go back. I'm not hungry, I don't feel restricted - I just feel WELL - and after last year, that's a huge deal!

Up until now my favorite food has always been cake, but now I find myself wanting steak! Having been vegetarian and / or vegan on and off over the years, and having always been more a fan of plants than meat, this is a big difference! I have ethical reservations, however, about eating mammals, so that probably leaves my favorite foods as:

1) roasted salmon
2) fried broccoli ( - all day, folks. All. Day. Long.)
3) keto mason jar chocolate ice cream.

For Valentine's Day breakfast in bed, my DH made me chaffles (cheese waffles - tho in this case the cheese was cream cheese and they were lightly sweetened), topped with chocolate ice cream and blackberries. Pretty sure I'm going to be asking for that for my birthday! :kiss2:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mexican. I could eat it EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

Steak

Pizza

I'm doing a strict meal plan right now, so pretty much anything carb-y is off the table. The only thing I've really craved is pizza -- I can only smell it so long until I cave. That's happened twice since September. :shifty: Most all the Mexican dishes I like involve some type of tortilla, so that's off limits as well.

I eat steak at least twice a week, and I'm not mad about it. 8-)

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Porridge, with salt, not sugar. Had it for breakfast almost every morning for the past 14 years :)

Weekday dinners tend to be quite plain; currently we only eat out/takeaway a couple times a year. When we do it's a choice between red Thai chicken curry or a chicken chasni. If I was ever offered a 'last' meal it would probably be a 'piece n jam'.

I'm not sure how British/American/Canadian Chinese food differs but I spent a week in Beijing and was so disappointed in the food; I was looking forward to the 'real' experience but it just didn't have the fresh vibrancy of the Chinese food available here. (It was a trade mission and we were in a variety of different restaurants, the best one being the staff canteen at one of the national oil companies).

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only thing I wouldn't grow to hate would be grilled chicken, rice and veggies. I could eat different variations of this everyday.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure how British/American/Canadian Chinese food differs but I spent a week in Beijing and was so disappointed in the food; I was looking forward to the 'real' experience but it just didn't have the fresh vibrancy of the Chinese food available here. (It was a trade mission and we were in a variety of different restaurants, the best one being the staff canteen at one of the national oil companies).

The fresh vibrancy you refer to sounds like the Cantonese style? Did you order your food yourself, and if so, did you know what to order? If you don't know how to order, it's possible that whoever made or ordered the food was trying to give you something a foreigner would like instead of something authentic. So, I can imagine a Chinese imitation of the "Chinese" dishes an American would eat would be lackluster.

IMG_20200214_085927.jpg IMG_20200214_085932.jpg
Here is what I enjoyed last weekend in an authentic restaurant in Toronto. Note the use of at least three different vegetables in each dish, and the use of multiple spices (died chili peppers, Sichuan peppercorns, garlic, fermented beans, sesame oil) in the stir-fry. I doubt you'd discover ingredients such as garlic stem or lotus root (two of my favorite vegetables) in non-authentic Chinese food.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock

The fresh vibrancy you refer to sounds like the Cantonese style? Did you order your food yourself, and if so, did you know what to order? If you don't know how to order, it's possible that whoever made or ordered the food was trying to give you something a foreigner would like instead of something authentic. So, I can imagine a Chinese imitation of the "Chinese" dishes an American would eat would be lackluster.

IMG_20200214_085927.jpg IMG_20200214_085932.jpg
Here is what I enjoyed last weekend in an authentic restaurant in Toronto. Note the use of at least three different vegetables in each dish, and the use of multiple spices (died chili peppers, Sichuan peppercorns, garlic, fermented beans, sesame oil) in the stir-fry. I doubt you'd discover ingredients such as garlic stem or lotus root (two of my favorite vegetables) in non-authentic Chinese food.

I'm afraid my method of ordering was rather basic, I picked the place with the longest queue and pointed to a picture on the wall! It wasn't all disappointing though, this dish came from the art district/798 art zone and hit the spot. IMG_20180329_123908701.jpg . I suppose it's like everything in life, you have to know what you're doing before you get to the good stuff :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could and do eat sweet potatoes every single day. Yummmmm

Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 6.10.28 AM.png

and ice cream. Oh wait. I do eat ice cream every day. I am a glutton. :lickout:
Just a sampling of our ice cream adventures.

icecreamdays.png

icecreamoctober2019.png

icecreamandbubbalah.jpg.png

icecreamatcookmancreamery.png

icecream8k.png

daysicecreaminsept.png

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Popcorn.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mexican. I could eat it EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

Steak

Pizza

I'm doing a strict meal plan right now, so pretty much anything carb-y is off the table. The only thing I've really craved is pizza -- I can only smell it so long until I cave. That's happened twice since September. :shifty: Most all the Mexican dishes I like involve some type of tortilla, so that's off limits as well.

I eat steak at least twice a week, and I'm not mad about it. 8-)

Are you doing keto, @msop04? I am - carbs less than 30gms per day. Would love to hear how you came to the low carb diet; for me, personally, it was a revelation.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you doing keto, @msop04? I am - carbs less than 30gms per day. Would love to hear how you came to the low carb diet; for me, personally, it was a revelation.

No, I'm not... I've done keto/Atkins on and off over the years - always lose a lot at first, get stuck, then gain it all back once a carbohydrate crosses my lips. ::)

I have struggled with my weight and dieted my entire life, @mrs-b... like I can remember being in the 2nd grade and being on a diet. I've always been big. I've done every diet you could possibly imagine, from WW, Atkins/keto, cabbage soup diet, "military diet", HCG injections on <500 calories/day, etc. You name it, I've done it (in many cases several times) -- all unsuccessfully.

I am now on a plan where I eat 6 times a day, so I'm rarely ever hungry. I feel great, sleep better, and have far exceeded my original weight loss goal. The last time I saw this number on the scale was when I was in the 5th grade - I'm not joking. I never dreamed in a million years that I would EVER be able to accomplish this -- not without being miserable anyway.

I have had so much success that my sister (she's my mentor) has been begging me to mentor as well. I'm strongly considering it, because I understand what it's like to be big, dieting and failing each time. I want to help give ppl this gift of health... because it truly is a gift. Gosh, that sounds so cheesy, but it has literally changed my life.

Sorry to overshare and go off topic so badly, but I felt like I needed to voice this.

Last edited:

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm I have a fairly varied diet I suppose, luckily in Australia (in most major cities) we have such diverse cuisines on offer BUT if I had to eat the same thing every day it would be a typical Aussie BBQ. Grilled meat of some kind, big fresh green salads, crusty bread rolls with butter and a decent glass of wine whilst preferably sitting on the backyard deck at sunset. Nothing better I swear... :love:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm I have a fairly varied diet I suppose, luckily in Australia (in most major cities) we have such diverse cuisines on offer BUT if I had to eat the same thing every day it would be a typical Aussie BBQ. Grilled meat of some kind, big fresh green salads, crusty bread rolls with butter and a decent glass of wine whilst preferably sitting on the backyard deck at sunset. Nothing better I swear... :love:

You're making me drool. :drool:
I am such a glutton. Really, I am.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results