shape
carat
color
clarity

Food Storage - Preparing meals question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
hi everyone!
I read that a lot of you prepare your meals for the week out. I want to start doing that so if i dont feel like cooking one night, i can force boyf to do the cooking (um... well. i can supervise
29.gif
)

Can you give me tips on how to store the food? Also, do you precook, or just slice and dice.

thanks for all your tips!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a chopper which makes it easy. The Progresso chopper for chopping onions. I like to make soups and then freeze in individual containers. I sometimes make lasagna''s ahead of time and freeze and pull out as needed.

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
I buy the family pack chicken and cook them. I put two meals worth in each container and freeze them. I plan my meals at least 24 hours ahead, and that's the amount of time it takes to defrost the food in the fridge. Actually, when I cook over the weekend I already know what I'm eating on which day for which meal for the rest of the week.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2008 3:04:49 AM
Author: choro72
I buy the family pack chicken and cook them. I put two meals worth in each container and freeze them. I plan my meals at least 24 hours ahead, and that''s the amount of time it takes to defrost the food in the fridge. Actually, when I cook over the weekend I already know what I''m eating on which day for which meal for the rest of the week.
Man! That is so organised!
1.gif

I think I like it.

Generally, my current survival plan includes ''fast food'' and ''slow food''. I wack it all in the freezer, and pull out either fast or slow as required. For example: pre-marinated and stuffed chook: well, I guess that''s slow.... pre-marinated pepper steak slices, that''s fast! Cross with a great salad (think avocado, capsicum, lettuce of course and fetta cheese, plus teensy tomatoes and balsamic dressing)

That''s what we currently live on anyway
That, or a tofu stir-fry!
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I make a large batch of ground beef, brown it with garlic and onion, add tomatoes and tomato paste, maybe some wine. I also throw in some mushrooms and perhaps some peppers and herbs. Once it is cooked, I then freeze it into portions, then I can easily convert some into spaghetti sauce, the other add chili powder and kidney beans for chili. Or you can go ahead and do so once the meat is cooked. Freeze, then all you need to do is defrost and reheat, cook your rice/ tacos/ spaghetti as you wish.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone! We have all our meat bought in bulk and frozen. It just comes to when i get home i dont know what i want to cook. thus, not being prepared at all. Although i know if i want pork or steak i have to plan 24 hours for defrost time :) Chicken and salmon take the right amount of time from when boyf gets home to when i get home for cooking.

I am going to try the ground beef/tomato paste idea. I loove chili, and boyf likes pasta so that will totally work for us!

Any other ideas or tips? Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results