shape
carat
color
clarity

Food Processor Question

E B

Ideal_Rock
While visiting, my mom mentioned she'd love to have a food processor. Her birthday is coming up soon, and I found a 3-cup Cuisinart with great reviews at Amazon that is very budget friendly.

My question is to those who have and use food processors: What do you think of the size (of the 3-cup)? Too small? Okay for a one-person household? My mom lives alone but eats mostly home-prepared/cooked meals.

Thanks!
9.gif

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 3 cup mini prep from cuisinart and a large model as well, but my mini prep stays on my counter daily. I use it all the time, and it is a perfect size for a small family (we are 2 currently), so it would be great for 1 person. The only time I actually use my large processor is when I am shredding bulk amounts of cheese, making dough, etc.

ETA- I have had the mini prep for 3 years now, and its still going strong with almost daily use, so great choice!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think 3 cup would be great for your mom. I have a 7 or 9 cup (can''t remember which) and I rarely use it because I hate getting it out. It''s a great FP though and it''s also cuisinart.

3 cups would be sufficient for most things. There will be some limitations but most everything I do with my larger FB simply doesn''t need all that room.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it depends on what she wants to do with it. For me the 3 cup is too small because I like to use mine for sauces, bread dough, pesto, etc.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 12:58:31 PM
Author: neatfreak
I think it depends on what she wants to do with it. For me the 3 cup is too small because I like to use mine for sauces, bread dough, pesto, etc.
This was one of the limitations I was thinking.

I think you could do pesto in small batches though?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
3-cup is a bit small for some things. I like to do butternut squash soup and a larger size would be a huge help with that. Other things like green rice (spinach, cilantro, parsley, garlic, onion) are a challenge too. I''d love to be able to do more soups and stuff but don''t usually bother because it is such a pain to do little batches.

If you can find one in your budget, they make large FPs that have smaller inserts so you only have to dirty the small one if that is all you need but the larger is available if you need it. I''m not sure if Cuisinart makes one like this or not, but I know that KA does and they go on pretty good sales.

We have a large (5 or 6 cup?) old Cuisinart that is still going strong and a similar sized KA that is really nice too.
I do sometimes wish we had something smaller because I don''t want to dirty the large bin/blade just for something little (plus it gets stuck on the side and doesn''t blend as well) but at least as often I wish we had the next size up so I could just do one batch and be done.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a small 3 cup processor and I love it for things like chopping onions, garlic and making salsa. The size is limiting though...

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would be ok for a 1-person household, especially since a FP is one of those things that are more "nice to have" rather than essential for a kitchen.

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
I actually have that same one. It stays on the counter and is great for prep or even for large things too b/c it will shred or slice into a bowl. I have a larger one as well and almost never use it!

I tend to use my immersion blender for things like soups and whatnot.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all! I'm glad to hear from both sides.

My mom doesn't make bread, but she makes sauces quite a bit. She also eats a ton of chopped veggies. She doesn't have a huge kitchen or a lot of counter space, which is something to take into consideration.

I'll probably go with the smaller one and include a gift receipt so she can exchange it if she wants something bigger.

Thanks again, everyone!
1.gif

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
If it''s just for one person, and it''s mainly to puree veggies and make sauces, I think the Magic Bullet is wonderful! I use mine almost everday to make salsas, salad dressings, and when my kids were younger to make home-made baby food!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results