shape
carat
color
clarity

Food Choices for High Cholesterol and Borderline Diabetes?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sbde

Brilliant_Rock
Hi ladies,

Someone very close to me has just been told that they are borderline diabetic and have high cholesterol, on top of the high blood pressure they''ve had for 10 years.

I think this latest diagnosis is enough to convince them to make a lifestyle change, and I was wondering whether anyone else out there has similar experiences or can give some tips on what foods to choose in order to deal with the cholesterol and diabetes.

Thank you so much!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does this person have a home monitor to check blood glucose levels? A good thing to do would be to check to see which foods raise blood sugar levels. Not just sugar raises levels, but foods like carrots, corn, and potatoes can rise levels, too. It''s a really good idea to start testing foods out.

sbde

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for your reply MC!
i don''t believe they have a blood glucose monitor, what a great suggestion. i''ll pick one up for them!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Ditto MC! One other suggestion is to start cooking with coconut oil, instead of regular oil - my DH''s grandfather had high cholesterol and they were going to put him on meds for it, and he started cooking with coconut oil (among other things, of course) and it made a huge difference in his levels. It worked for my mom once I told her about it as well.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep, coconut oil is VERY good for you. . .it''s best to get unrefined extra virgin. It''s kind of pricey - I just bought a new jug and paid $11 for it. . .you can use it as a replacement for oils and for butter in just about everything from cookies to stir fry.

sbde

Brilliant_Rock
ooh, i had no idea. thank you for the info MP!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In Canada doctors are taking a very proactive stance on cholesterol/diabetes. I was put on crestor and metformin immediately, *then* told to work on my diet. You want to preserve your organs and heart first and foremost. It seemed like I had failed at the time, but after a lot more research I understood how important it was to modify these conditions immediately, rather than wait for diet to work. I am diabetic now, but my numbers are always very good. The longer I keep them in line, the better. So I don't mind at all that my doc took the approach of meds first, diet second. It takes a while to get the diet thing working ideally. You may buy the monitor for this person, but realistically they only need to test twice a day to start: first upon waking in the morning, and second two hours after supper at night. Diet should consist of three regular meals at scheduled times, not exceeding 6 hours apart, and two snacks per day. Fresh is best in everything, the least processed food is always best. Apples are great for fruits, grapes are bad. Limit starches too.

I could go on and on. Just look up the american diabetes recommended diet and have the person follow it. Exercise is also important, but should be done after a meal so as not to cause either a spike or dip in glucose levels. Everyone is different in what will affect their glucose levels, be it certain foods or exercise. Also, stress will make everything worse.

ETA: carbs are the most important thing to watch in diets. 40g per meal for females, 60g per meal for males. Fiber content is important too, the more fiber the better.

sbde

Brilliant_Rock
lyra thank you so much for your detailed response and such good suggestions. it is heartening to hear that both meds and a diet changed has helped you so much. i''m going to print out your post for my friend.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot to mention that I was put on the cholesterol meds even though my numbers are defnitely in the normal range. My problem is my HDL is too low. The crestor is supposed to help boost that and keep LDL down too. So it was a proactive move.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Good tips so far on the high sugar veggies to avoid and the use of extra virgin coconut oil.

I might refer your friend to "Eat to Live" - a great book and program on dietary changes to deal with a host of medical issues, including the two you have noted.

sbde

Brilliant_Rock
ooh thanks for that resource LC - i will take a look at that book.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I agree with those who say to get on drugs to lower the cholesterol and then work with the diet. Not everyone can lower there cholesterol with diet alone. You need exercise and lifestyle changes and even then it might not be enough. The problem can be very quickly corrected so that more damage isn''t done to the vascular system. Same goes for the high blood pressure. Correct it now to prevent further damage. They can always go off the medication when they have a diet and exercise plan well integrated into their lifestyle.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Extra virgin olive oil to control cholesterol, avoid butter.

As for diabetes, it''s about combinations of protiens w/ carbs. I was just diagnosed with gestational diabetes, which isn''t the same thing but the diet is, and here''s what I''m eating:

Breakfast: 2 eggs w/ a piece of whole grain bread, 2 oz. of turkey sausage and 2 oz. of mozerella cheese on 1/2 of a whole wheat English Muffin, no cereal of any kind

Lunch: Whole grain bread (around 30 carbs for 2 slices) w/ peanut butter, Grilled cheese sandwhich on whole grain bread, green salad w/ chicken salad dressing w/ carbs w/ about 30 g carbs, veggies such as carrots

Dinner: 4 oz. lean meat, 30-45 grams of carbs such as a baked potato 2/3 cup rice or pasta etc, and veggies (except peas which are high in starch) or a green salad w/ balsamic vinegar as dressing

Snacks: 1/4 cup cottage cheese mixed with a fruit, cheese and crackers (amounting 15 g of carbs in crackers), 1 graham cracker w/ 2 tbls. peanut butter, sugar free jello

Avoid: sugar and foods w/ lots of sugar in them, flavored milk (chocolate milk), soft drinks (diet is fine), candy, syrups), jarred sauces, sauces in general

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2010 8:18:36 PM
Author: KimberlyH
Lunch: Whole grain bread (around 30 carbs for 2 slices) w/ peanut butter, Grilled cheese sandwhich on whole grain bread, green salad w/ chicken salad dressing w/ carbs w/ about 30 g carbs, veggies such as carrots
All this for lunch?? Isn''t that 4 slices of bread?

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2010 9:22:33 PM
Author: swingirl

Date: 1/16/2010 8:18:36 PM
Author: KimberlyH
All this for lunch?? Isn't that 4 slices of bread?
Oh my goodness, no! The commas are menat to seperate out the different items as different suggestions, perhaps I should have typed it as a list! I eat the bread/starch (2 slices of bread, no more than 45 carbs) w/ the protien (peanut butter or cheese) and a veggie. Another option would be a green salad w/ grilled chicken and some sort of carb.

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Does his/her local hospital have a dietician available? When my mil was diagnosed with high cholesterol they had a dietician run class at the hospital for all new cholesterol patients. They went though all sorts of foods and everyone was given a ''heart healthy'' cookbook. She learned so much and was able to lower her cholesterol significantly enough on her own that she doesn''t have to take any medications for it.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
I was recently diagnosed with high cholesterol. I was already exercising 4-5 times per week with an hour+ of cardio and watching my fat intake Due to the fact that I was doing those things and my mom has high cholesterol despite plenty of exercise and healthy eating, the doc figured mine is most likely hereditary and put me on meds. I immediately noticed negative side effects and after about two weeks of taking meds without the side effects subsiding, I told the doc I was not going to take them any more. He has me taking 3 fish oil capsules twice per day. I also added flax seed to my daily diet. I will have another cholesterol check next month to see if the fish oil and flax seed are working. I''m praying they do, as I will NOT ever go back on those meds. They were aweful!

My only suggestion is to do some research and don''t just jump on the medication bandwagon!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results