shape
carat
color
clarity

followup on looksee at a B&M

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

viscera912

Shiny_Rock
good day to everyone,

i know there has been a lot of debating and bashing of the b&m lately, i want to preface that this is neither a bashing of a b&m store. this is merely to relate my experience so others who are curious about going to local stores vs online stores can see one in perspective. for those of you who didn''t read the beginning of this post it can be found here
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/just-goin-for-a-looksee-at-a-b-m-any-advice.14602/
i hope that link works, if not its on page 4 of this forum entitled "goin for a looksee at a b&m, any advice."

anyway, so here is the story. first i went to a local jeweller here in the area that a friend of mine referred me to. before i went to the store i made sure i was really prepared with all the knowledge i have garnered here as if i was going to take the boards that day! i walked in and had some small chit chat with the salesperson then he asked how he could help me. i told him i wanted to look at princesses in a certain carat range and sadly, he only had 4 loose stones to show me. the other stones were allready set. i was hoping to see a bunch of loose stones so i could see different table and depth numbers. of the 4 loose stones i saw, neither was very impressive; i asked their specs on them and he only had the gia cert on him and wasn''t aware of the table, depth, crown and all that other good info. i asked him if he had a listing or something that i could look at like a multiple vendor listing. he said he did but he didn''t allow me to look at it because he said he just can''t do that. i didn''t understand why but perhaps its a legal matter. anyway, i did find out that he does his own custom settings so we spent the most part of my time there discussing various settings. oh by the way, this gentlemen was a gemologist (gia). so i showed him some of the settings i was currently interested in and he said he would be able to make them and match some prices. so we ended and he said to email him all my parameters of what i was looking for in a princess and he said he would find various stones for me. when i told him i was probably going to purchase online he was very supportive of it as he went on to explain that one would find a cheaper stone online, but they don''t receive the same human to human service. but he never bashed or tryed to sway me from internet purchasing. he said he would try and be flexible with his pricing if he found various stones for me so i was happy with that. basically, ill use this store as a reference for a setting, i am currently thinking that is a good possibility. as for a center stone, i will be curious what kind of stones he finds for me and price ranges as well.

.....on to the mall stores.....i first went into kay jewelers and actually it took like 4 minutes of walking around the store before someone came up and said hello to me. besides the negligent staff, which was a bad impression to begin with the lady was friendly, she couldn''t have been more than 23 and tried to flirt with me
eek.gif
ahem, anyway, she showed me some ugly ugly stones, they were graded from IGI and ive never heard of a color such as G-H. i didn''t know there were ranges for colors as well as ranges for clarity. i asked her table and depth info and she had no clue what they were but at least she didn''t attempt to give me some lame explanation. she was trying to peddle me their "exclusive" brand, the LEO diamond which if i remember correctly has 62 facets instead of just 58 or something like that. i was particulary interested in her wonderful memory of the salespitch the head office made her memorize
nono.gif
the prices for these stones were totally outrageous!!!! at least 1000 to 1500 more than what i have found here on the PS search. i said thank you and left with great haste on to helzberg diamonds.

at helzberg i was promptly greeted and made to sit down and tell them what i was looking for. after i told them they showed me about 2 stones and said these are beauties, again graded by IGI, had the ranges thing going on and at that point i was starting to get angry because i had been to 3 stores and i haven''t seen but 2 decent stones, and about 10 terrible stones. i said thank you and left. the last story is the best...

i walked into zales jewelry and was greeted very warmly. i sat down and told her i was looking for princesses and she showed me 3 stones. these stones were graded by IGI and had the whole range thing going on again. so by this time i was rather angry and hungry so i just decided to have some fun and ask her the table percentage. this poor girl, i feel so sorry for her...without hesitation she pointed me at the measurements listing!!!!! she smiled and said, "oh its right here", and pointed at the 5.45x5.45x3.45 (numbers made up). i wanted to laugh sooo bad but i composed myself and thought she is just trying to help and she doesn''t know any better. i said thank you and quickly left to the chinese fast food restaurant at the food court!!

i want to reiterate that i am not trying to bash these companies, the people, or their knowledge. it is just to share an experience, but from what i have learned the mall stores just don''t have beautiful stones to buy and whats worse they are SOOOO overpriced. in saying that, i haven''t been to a lot of stores, i do have plans to visit some more this friday (its my day off now!!). but i am so dissapointed because i haven''t found any diamonds that i can actually look at and learn about differences. i want to see the difference between a really good cut and the normal zales diamonds. im kinda scared that im never going to see one until i make the purchase from an online vendor. i feel so sorry for the chaps who purchase from the mall stores as they are getting such a ripoff. oh well, the main point of this post was to reassure those who are beginning in their knowledge of diamonds to realize that their knowledge will help them immensely in their purchase. they will be able to weed out bad stones and save themselves a loss of money. also, its a testament to those who regularly post here and help those of us who want and need to learn about diamonds. to ya''ll i say thanks! well i apologize for the long post, i hope you aren''t asleep by this time so ill close and let you read other posts!

jason

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I-Scope anyone? Not sure it would be worth shifting through stones to get a top ranking sparkler if even the price is not great. Otherwise, I am gald you mention that just seeing loads of badly cut stones is not of much help... true enough, it is obviously more entertaining to browse diamonds than datanbases (ok, maybe not for everyone - and I hereby stand as example
1.gif
)but the ideal store with hundreds of diamonds of all sorts in not there yet, as far as I know.

Just out of curiosity, did it work anywhere to ask for a range of cut proportions to look at (say, to compare a brilliant and a fiery princess cut or such)
rolleyes.gif

viscera912

Shiny_Rock
hello valeria

when i first went in i never specified a range of percentages i wanted to look at. in all seriousness, i only saw 4 total princesses at the local jeweler. as far as the mall stores they only had a couple of princesses as well, at least only a couple in my range of .50-.75. i want one in between .6-.7 but for quantity worth i told them it was between .5-.75 so i could see more. but even then they didn't have many to look at. i will probably be visiting robbins bros and some other local jewelers.

jason

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Interesting posts.

I think there are three generalized B&M.

1. The maul - McDonalds so to speak.
2. Higher end chains & cookie cutter independents - Can you say David Yurman? These are probably more like at best Ruth Cris steak house. Nothin special. You will pay through the nose; but, you know you have a moniker of quality.
3. Creative independent true B&M store w/ a GIA, GG on premise & a good benchman within a jingle. These are those fabulous Chef owned Restaurants special finds that make your mouth water with their ability to blend spices in that perfect amount. Your probably gonna pay less or on par; but, your gonna eat something special.

Then, there is the On-line. What can I say? The good stones are there & are available at excellent prices. You have the potential of ordering that Graeters ice cream - but you may end up w/ Mayberry's - but it's at a price that's right.

I hope it doesn't look like I am hijacking your thread; but, your experience put forth in such a detailed way, has been my experience as well. And, at the end of the day, my whole point about B&M - they got to offer that experience, service, product & all at a somewhat competitive price. These B&M's shouldn't be scared of the internet if they are all that.

limey

Shiny_Rock
Great post Jason, EXACTLY my experience, well not exactly I kept going back for more and more punishment. One day, probably after I finalize my purchase, I will give a blow by blow of my experience with the so called top Detroit area B&M's. You should stay in close contact with the local jeweler /gemologist, or someone like that, who can help with the setting part of the project, any side stones and become a trusted jeweler for you to work with for other gifts for your S.O. Who knows he may be able to get in a very well cut stone for you, or several, to review. I woud be willing to pay a few hundred more to work with a local B&M but they just don't have the product.

Good luck, and keep us informed.

Andrew

viscera912

Shiny_Rock
hey everyone,

thanks for the replies, it seems that everyone has the same experience that i did. so therefore, how did you end up viewing diamonds in your area? or did you just go for it and buy a stone online and wait till it arrived before you saw a really good cut diamond. that is my number one wish right now...to view an excellent cut princess diamond!!! i have no clue what i will find at some of these other stores i am planning on visiting but right now im rather stalled at what i can do except continue my learning process and searching online for stones. either way im havin a blast doing it and im glad i have PS to help me out with my decisions. thanks everyone!!!

jason

ps
enjoy the NBA playoffs!!!!

limey

Shiny_Rock
Jason

I never saw an exceptional Princess. I went to the higher end stores in the metro Detroit area and all they had matched numbers in the US domestic average cut range (found at http://www.gemappraisers.com/ ). Looked thru an IdealScope one could see windows of white especially in the middle for stones cut too deep, and around the edges, some had fish-eyes, crowns were generally too low.

To see better stones I found hearts-on-fire dealers and saw the Dream diamond as well as looked at rounds to figure out what cut really means and what I wanted in a diamond.

What is your timing? Jonathan at GoodOldGold is about to release a new diamond called a Jubilee that has the optics of a round in a modified square. The corners are cut off but once set it will look square like a Princess. Keep your eye on this board for more details, I know I am!

Andrew

... and the NHL playoffs, Go Wings!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Hi Jason,

I think we've all had your experience. It is harder than it sounds to go look at well cut diamonds in person -- especially if you narrow your criteria with a size, color and clarity range or are looking for cuts other than RB.

Two ideas -- Try a B&M that sells branded stones such as Hearts on Fire. Their Dream diamond is supposed to be beautiful. I'm not sure of it's details -- it might be a unique cut, but it would give you feel for color etc in well cut square stones. The other option, if you life near one, is to go to a diamond district such as the ones in LA and NY and some other cities. If you tell one of the vendors what you are looking for, they can often round up some stones to look at from the local brokers. Be careful of their hard sell tactics. Some are notorious for that.

As a third option -- find an online vendor that you trust to be your eyes for the initial screening, and have 2 stones shipped to a local appraiser for you to view and pick from.

Good luck!

queensr001

Rough_Rock
Did you try Robbinsbros, I bought from them and worked with a great sales person.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results