shape
carat
color
clarity

fmil vent

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

marlie

Brilliant_Rock
so, you may remember my past rant about my fmil. the one where during bridal gown shopping day, she asked the consultant if the dress i was wearing came in other colors for the mother of the groom. this was before i even said whether or not i liked it as my wedding dress!

anyway, apparently the wedding is all about her. it''s laughable actually and fi and i chuckle all the time about it. she''s taking dance lessons so we keep calling our wedding her dance recital.

but, here''s where it''s not funny anymore. fi and i knew we could never have a small wedding with our families. but we wanted to make it as small as possible. we thought 200 guests seemed like a reasonable #. we knew that his mom would have a ginormous list though and that a lot of tension would stem from it. we were right! back in june she told us her guest list alone was 172! my mom list is 65ish and FI/Me have a list of about 75. unhappily we agreed to her #. shopped for venues and assumed at the end of the day, we were inviting 307 and would end up around the 250 mark. We were all okay with that...not happy...but okay with it. Somewhere shortly after, her list grew to 180. we gritted our teeth and were fine with it. She''s paying for her people, so there''s not much we can say.

well, we''re getting ready to send std''s so i asked for her address list. i counted how many people she had on there....205. two hundred and frickin five people...just from her (not even fi''s dad!). it''s ridiculous. she knows the kind of wedding we wanted and this was a slap in the face. we asked her to cut 25 people because it''s turning into a circus. she told us that we didn''t understand her obligations. well, i do actually b/c i made cuts to my OWN list. to MY wedding. so frustrating. she cut it down to 190 but i''m trying to put my foot down here. i want it back to 180. i know at the end of the day 10 people aren''t a big deal, but it''s the principle.

i feel like fi and i compromised the wedding we wanted for her and now enough is enough. it''s time for her to compromise! it''s ridiculous.

and, while i''m ranting...we didn''t want an engagement party but she insisted that her friends would be insulted if we didn''t have one. so we gave in. she said it would be low key. ummm, 108 people were invited! not low key at all!

congrats to those who made it through my rant! i do feel better just writing it out.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Wow, this all just sounds soooo familiar. I'm sorry hon.

You better watch out.... you're going to end up with a 190 person rehearsal dinner.
31.gif
Would you like the number to the planner my MIL used?

Tell her the original list is what your budget was based on. If she wants any of these extra people invited, then she is more than welcome to pay for them. Otherwise there is no room in the budget to invite them. And do not sucumb to the "Ohh, they'll never come" excuse, becuase I have a thread out here for that as well.

Do it now! And coming from someone that was just there... stick to financial reasoning. For some reason these type of women don't get the "This isn't what we want" explanation.

marlie

Brilliant_Rock
oh my gosh meresal. i''m sorry you dealt with the same thing! the ''oh, they''ll never come but i NNEEEDDD to send them an invitation" line is her favorite. she says it about 1000 times a day. and every time i want to smack her.

here''s the dilemma. she''s paying for her guests so i have no financial budget arguments to use! in fact, she keeps throwing that in our face! i feel like saying. take your $$ and guests and shove it and we''ll have a wedding with close fam and our friends! we know maybe 45 people out of her list and i''d personally pay for them myself to avoid this nonsense. she keeps telling us, you don''t have to say hi to these people at the wedding so it''s not a big deal.

she totally doesn''t care/understand that this isn''t what we want. and i could give a rats ass (can i say that here?) about her obligations. the best part of the whole thing is the order of her guest list. first on the list is her, then some close family, then her RICHEST friends, less rich friends, some more family, some wealthy friends, some longtime sweet friends that we actually like etc. it''s sad. it really is.

and she invited people to the engagement party who aren''t invited to the wedding and told them that it''s because we only let her have a small guest list. um, what? i''m embarrassed that she did that too. it''s so rude! my e-party is this saturday and i''m actually dreading it.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
If she is paying for all of them already, then I would just let it slide. However, is she also paying for the centerpieces/linens/chairs for each table that gets added because of her growing guest list? There are other prices that go up when you add more guests.

Trust me, when the wedding day comes, you aren't even going to notice these people. I promise. Your wedding day is what you make it, and barring that you MIL doesn't climb on a table and jump into FIL's arms at the end of the night... you won't remember anything that your MIL and her friends do. Just be sure to stay around the people that make you happiest and you will have the time of your life.

No matter who is there, your wedding day is going to be exactly what you wanted. I promise! Just ignore her as much as possible.

We had over 250 guests, and I spent the entire night with my family and our best 50 friends. I couldn't tell you what many of the other guests did, but they all had a blast, and that is what we wanted!

ETA: I'm sorry you keep hearing the "They'll never come comment". What's ironic is the people that she most wants to be there, probably won't come, and these extras are the ones that will show up. Just remember, it's not your job to entertain them, it is hers.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Meresal is right ... all the more people to KEEP HER OUT OF *YOUR* HAIR on the big day.
9.gif
31.gif
11.gif

I laughed out loud at the "dance recital" ... that''s the attitude that''ll keep you S-A-N-E! Keep on giggling all the way to the altar.
3.gif

marlie

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for the advice.

glad to hear you didn''t notice all of the ''extra'' people at your wedding meresal. hoping that''s the case for us! my mom is paying for the flowers and for the transportation to and from the wedding/hotel which will both be jacked up thanks to her growing guest list.

deco...the recital thing is not far from the truth. she asked fi if for the mother/son dance they could do the mambo. really? mambo? yeah...we laugh about it most of the time. what else can you do?

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 5:24:48 PM
Author: marlie
thanks for the advice.

glad to hear you didn''t notice all of the ''extra'' people at your wedding meresal. hoping that''s the case for us! my mom is paying for the flowers and for the transportation to and from the wedding/hotel which will both be jacked up thanks to her growing guest list.

deco...the recital thing is not far from the truth. she asked fi if for the mother/son dance they could do the mambo. really? mambo? yeah...we laugh about it most of the time. what else can you do?
Oh my. She''s one special lady. Just keep your spirits high, and vent here when you need it!

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, marlie...you are such a trooper for putting up with this. I had to giggle though because there was recently a LIW thread about a girl who wouldn''t let her FMIL invite her best friend to the wedding and here you are letting your FMIL invite almost 200 people! There has to be a happy medium!
3.gif

My only advice is to really think about the way you want to feel on your wedding day and the things you can do to get yourself there and try to ignore the little circus that FMIL is creating.

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
Marlie, would it have been possible to say that you only ordered 320 invitations and you don''t have additional ones because you only ordered the 180 she told you about to begin with?

Also, are there any overlaps between her list and yours (from your Fi''s side) such as uncles or cousins, etc that would cut your list down somewhat?

marlie

Brilliant_Rock
the invitations haven''t been ordered yet so that excuse won''t work. she''s got us cornered! i''m going to do my best to just make the best of the wedding day and not let her crowd ruin it for me!

we are giving it one last shot. fi emailed her her list again and said please listen to what we want. please take another look at cut at least a few more couples. start with the people we''ve never met and go from there. she tends to listen to him...me, not so much. let''s see if this works!! fingers are crossed.

i feel like it''s an important battle. at the end of the day, those 10 extra people don''t matter really....but i need her to see that i can put my foot down on things too and that the world doesn''t revolve around her. i''m choosing this battle to teach her that lesson. and, if i don''t win the battle, some invitations may accidentally get lost in the mail!
11.gif

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need to tell your MIL to take her money and go have her own dance recital party!
3.gif
I''m not very
nice about these things so I would have told her up front that she can invite family + 40 guest. i know
she doesnt understand that the wedding isnt about her. She might have a hissy fit if anyone told her.
I think humor is the only way to deal with this kind of person. Unfortunatly my funny bone isnt that big!

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
marlie,

sorry about your fmil. you have every right to be angry. its frustrating when your wedding becomes so different to what you originally envisioned. been there, just stand your ground hun.
2.gif

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Wow!!!!! It grew by 25 people!!!??? Where did she get the extra people at!!!???

In any event, I would definitely stick to my guns on this one, and tell her the finances of the wedding were planned for the amount of people given to you guys in June, and there is no way you can afford to add an extra 25 people. I would also tell her that as of now, the list is final, and NO additions are to be made. This would work wonderfully after the STD''s are sent out
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results