shape
carat
color
clarity

Flying to England?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, guys! DH and I are considering a trip to England this summer, and I was wondering what I should be looking for in terms of airfare prices. We want fly from either Philly or Newark to London at the end of June and stay for 10 days or so. Right now, all the fares are around $1000-1200, which seems high to me. Should I wait for them to come down, or is that pretty standard? Also, do you have a favorite airline? We are leaning towards USAir, as we are frequent flyers, but would consider another carrier if there was good reason.

If I can get the flight sorted out, I hope I can also pick your brains about some of the other logistics too!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's the price of flying during the summer season. The price is pretty standard. It might go down if the economy crashes harder? I flew from LA to Italy last summer, cost just under 1200 on USAir.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmmm...well, flights were cheaper in April, but they we couldn''t go as long, and I am worried it will be too chilly for me to enjoy being outside a lot. Anyone have thoughts on that? We are planning to hit London and the southwest, and I want to be able to explore a lot. What are gardens like there in April?

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
That sounds about right in high season.

DH and I went for our honeymoon in October and the weather was very pleasant - we needed a light sweater and possibly a light jacket outside, but very manageable (and way less crowded vs. the summer). I''ve also been in April and the weather was similar to October.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Hello, fatafelice! The prices unfortunately seem about right for summer flights. I am an American teacher living in London, and even though I''ve got a nice 6-week long summer break, my boyfriend an I will be flying back to the US to visit home in April because it is so much more affordable (both our tickets come to £640, which is less than one ticket in summer!). Weather in April will be chilly (and probably rainy) but nice--June will be a bit warmer, but it hardly ever gets really hot here and not usually until July or August (over 80 is considered hot here).

One airline you might want to check out from time to time is Virgin Atlantic. They are absolutely excellent, and sometimes have sales which make them the best deal around as well as the best quality airline (in my opinion). Last year when flying home in April, my ticket was only £250 because they were having a Valentine''s Day sale! Anyway, it''s good as with everything to shop around and see how far your money can get you.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!
1.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I went to London from JFK in October and my flight was about the same. I flew Delta, but that''s because they are in an alliance with Continental so I was able to apply the miles to my Continental account.

I think flying whatever airline you collect miles for is a great idea. Unless another carrier is significantly cheaper, I would stick with the one you have an account with. USAir is involved with the Star Alliance which includes United, so check with them too to find a cheaper flight. You''ll still be able to apply your frequent flier number and get the miles added to your account.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
April is likely to be a mix of totally freezing and nice and sunny - I doubt there will be a day you don''t need a jumper and coat though.

If you want to look at gardens, early June is best as the roses will be coming out then.

Last time DH and I flew to the US we went with Air India which was very reasonable. I don''t really care much about aeroplanes though - as long as they get me from A to B safely I''m not interested in the food or how swish the planes look.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another thing to check is that it might be cheaper to fly into Ireland and then get a cheap flight over to London. My mother''s friend always does that and finds it much cheaper. Aer Lingus seem to do some good deals from the US.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
June hasn''t been great the past two summers, it''s been rainy and not very warm. The airfare sounds about right, but if it were me I''d wait a bit to see if they come down. I try to avoid Delta because all the planes I''ve flown have a couple of big screens, not individuals ones on the backs of the seats. I prefer having a choice of movies or being able to turn off the screen to sleep (haha!). Also, Delta keeps seperating my DH and I on international flights.

Date: 2/9/2009 11:10:26 AM
Author: Pandora II
April is likely to be a mix of totally freezing and nice and sunny - I doubt there will be a day you don''t need a jumper and coat though.

Our anniversary is in April. Of the ones that we''ve celebrated together, one we spent in a nice, sunny beer garden, one with mid-weight jackets, and one it snowed.

sklingem

Brilliant_Rock
$1000 would be one of your better deals for that time of the year unfortunately ...
R.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 3:10:51 PM
Author: Addy
June hasn't been great the past two summers, it's been rainy and not very warm. The airfare sounds about right, but if it were me I'd wait a bit to see if they come down. I try to avoid Delta because all the planes I've flown have a couple of big screens, not individuals ones on the backs of the seats. I prefer having a choice of movies or being able to turn off the screen to sleep (haha!). Also, Delta keeps seperating my DH and I on international flights.

Date: 2/9/2009 11:10:26 AM
Author: Pandora II
April is likely to be a mix of totally freezing and nice and sunny - I doubt there will be a day you don't need a jumper and coat though.

Our anniversary is in April. Of the ones that we've celebrated together, one we spent in a nice, sunny beer garden, one with mid-weight jackets, and one it snowed.
Addy, that's surprising. I fly Delta a lot and I'd say that 90% of the time they have individual screens. Maybe it's different when they're domestic flights in the US.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone for all of the wonderful advice! It looks like I will have to suck it up and pay that for June/July, though now I have to convince DH of that. The problem is, he likes staying in 4-star hotels, and paying more for airfare will cut into the accommodations budget!
20.gif

Amber: I wish we could go in September or early October, but I am a teacher, so it has to be either spring or summer break.

Gwendolyn: I am a teacher, too! And I am very jealous of your job! How long have you been living/teaching there? And don''t worry, I am not looking for heat - I get enough of that here. And I figure everything will be really crowded later in the summer, anyway.

Elrohwen: I noticed that flights out of JFK were more expensive than flights out of Newark. Have you experienced that? I would have thought more volume = lower cost, but I guess the demand drives the prices up.

Pandora: I wish I could come early June, but I don''t get out of school until the third week. I wish I could remember what month I went in high school - it must have been April, as it was spring break - but I had decent weather and there were some things in bloom. I will look into Air India, as well. I don''t care too much about the plane, if it is a good deal.

Bee: That is really good advice, and I will look into it! Thanks!

Addy: We''ll be staying into July, so hopefully that will help! I am not actually that picky about the weather, but I figure packing fewer layers (no heavy coats or sweaters) will make things more manageable for all the moving around we want to do. Do you think it will at least be in the 60s (F) during the day? Also, I have never been a fan of Delta, so I concur!
2.gif

Rob: That is what I was afraid of! I was just hoping that I would come on here, and people would be able to reassure me otherwise.
3.gif

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
check out http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/ and sign up for alerts on your preferred route!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Air India is the cheapest way to fly, probably because they are state-owned. It WILL smell like cumin. They are expected to join the Star Alliance in March of this year.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Chargergirl: Thanks, I''ll check it out!

JulieN: Hmmmm...that does not sound especially appealing. Outdated interiors I can handle...Smells, not so much.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
here''s another one: http://farecast.live.com/

oh my, i can fly from LAX to London for $539 right now!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
ok, so this may or may not help you.. but we just booked a trip to paris. here's how we went about it. we went on travelocity and selected "flexible dates" and looked at all the prices a month at a time from here until the end of the year. prices vary greatly {like a $2,000 difference!}. however, we noticed a week for dirt cheap. DIRT cheap. so, we booked it. it was continental airlines.

if you are flexible on dates at all, i highly suggest looking into it that way.

eta: oops, it would have helped if i would have read the whole thread! looks like you've already checked out prices for various times of the year.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
maybe this will be helpful? you can compare other months too...

http://golondon.about.com/od/londoncalendar/a/calendarapril.htm

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
ChargerGrrrl: Yeah, if I wanted to go in March, I could go for around $400 roundtrip!

Jcrow: Thank you for the suggestion and the link. I guess maybe we will have to seriously consider April after all. The temps don''t look bad, though the "5.5 hours of sunlight a day" is a little concerning!
3.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I''ll echo what others say when it comes to the prices. Those are pretty standard for going to London in the summer. I read one time that it was the most traveled to destination from the East Coast in the summers. Its definitely a great gateway to the rest of Europe.

In the past I''ve been able to get GREAT deals using Priceline by naming my price if my time for leaving and coming back was flexible. Both times I got a great deal (paying $600 instead of $1000) I was routed through Canada and went to London on Air Canada.

I second looking at Virgin Atlantic''s prices. They fly out of Newark and typically are very competitive. I''ve never flown on that airline but I know many people who rave about them.

Good luck with planning your trip!

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Clairitek: Thanks for the recommendation! I have never tried Priceline, as I am scared that I will get some crazy flight, but perhaps this time it would be worth a shot. Does anyone know if it is still as effective when you try way in advance?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got an email today from airfarewatchdog saying flights from Newark to London in August are $444. You might check them out.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Skippy. I''ll check it out, but it might be a moot point now. DH just told me that he has changed his mind, and now he thinks we shouldn''t go, since we are hoping to rebuild our house next year, and need to save money.

I am pretty sad about it, but I get where he is coming from. I''m just scared that if we don''t do it now, before the new house and then kids, that it will be a very long time before we really go.
7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results